Boxing Ring Commentary - EK vs gwsm1992

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2015, 02:28 PM
RE: Boxing Ring Commentary - EK vs gwsm1992
Yeah, the mundane defining of terms is reminiscent of our unable-to-get-anything-done government. The minutia kills everything. Let's get on to some good old fashioned mud-slinging!

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2015, 06:12 PM
(14-04-2015 12:29 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  So, what do you think the over/under is on him supplying a cogent and falsifiable definition for god?

Wikipedia - Falsifiability Wrote:Falsifiability or refutability of a statement, hypothesis, or theory is an inherent possibility to prove it to be false. A statement is called falsifiable if it is possible to conceive an observation or an argument which proves the statement in question to be false...

A definition is a "statement" of the exact meaning of a word, rather than an "hypothesis, or theory" so I think you're after a "God is..." statement to which there is an obvious "So, therefore God is not when..." statement upon which you can both agree.

I have a feeling that you may have to take the lead here by turning post #12 (the four dictionary definitions provided) into a "God is..." statement or you'll be waiting a long time.

Yes

Find all posts by this user
14-04-2015, 09:49 PM
(14-04-2015 06:12 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I have a feeling that you may have to take the lead here by turning post #12 (the four dictionary definitions provided) into a "God is..." statement or you'll be waiting a long time.

Yes

One has to wonder why the person arguing in favor of their god, cannot adequately define their god as anything more than nebulous, vague, and undefined woo-woo. Consider

Plus, if he cannot come up with a meaningful and cogent definition, then he has no ground to stand on and should rightfully concede that his continued belief is both unreasonable and irrational; in other words 'faith' with no basis in anything else.

And faith is a terrible reason to form a positive belief in anything, and it certainly is not compelling to anyone who values evidence. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
15-04-2015, 12:30 PM
(14-04-2015 09:49 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  ...in other words 'faith' with no basis in anything else.

..Isn't that the whole idea?

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
15-04-2015, 12:48 PM
In post 19 he's trying to shift the burden of proof unto you, how quaint.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
16-04-2015, 06:00 AM
(15-04-2015 12:30 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 09:49 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  ...in other words 'faith' with no basis in anything else.

..Isn't that the whole idea?

Yeah, but how many of the faithful think they have good reasons for their faith? Whether through deceit or ignorance, many think they have good evidence and reasons. Sometimes the best you can do is strip away all of those false preconceptions and assumptions, and lie their faith bare at their feet as the entirely subjective and baseless ideology that it is.

You cannot force someone to value reason and evidence, but you can show that they have neither supporting their assertions.

19-04-2015, 06:07 PM
Ugh, three pages of trying to define god. This debate is as tasty as a communion wafer.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
19-04-2015, 06:43 PM
oh I missed this debate until now....woohoo, I got $5 on EK...

Popcorn

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
20-04-2015, 09:37 AM
(19-04-2015 06:43 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  oh I missed this debate until now....woohoo, I got $5 on EK...

Popcorn

My personal favorites. Wink

[Image: 1112.gif]

[Image: popcorn_stephen_colbert.gif]

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
22-04-2015, 11:57 PM
I'm thoroughly enjoying this debacle (can't even call this a debate) EK. Dude can't even tie his shoes to get on the court.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post