Boxing Ring Commentary - GWG vs Tsukho

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2014, 09:36 AM
RE: Boxing Ring Commentary - GWG vs Tsukho
I love what you wrote, but am I the only one who thinks this guy is going to feel inundated and intimidated by such a long epic response? It's completely civil, respectful and thorough, but it almost felt like you were just waiting to unleash this opus rather than allowing him to respond gradually, which is how the convo began. I just fear the engagement will break.

In poker, there is a saying: Don't tap on the glass of the aquarium. It means, when you have fish at your disposal, you don't want to scare them away by intimidating them. Is there any chance this guy will feel too intimidated by such a long response and just say, "Fuck it, I don't need this," and run screaming to his church?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-10-2014, 09:42 AM
(28-10-2014 09:36 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  I love what you wrote, but am I the only one who thinks this guy is going to feel inundated and intimidated by such a long epic response? It's completely civil, respectful and thorough, but it almost felt like you were just waiting to unleash this opus rather than allowing him to respond gradually, which is how the convo began. I just fear the engagement will break.

In poker, there is a saying: Don't tap on the glass of the aquarium. It means, when you have fish at your disposal, you don't want to scare them away by intimidating them. Is there any chance this guy will feel too intimidated by such a long response and just say, "Fuck it, I don't need this," and run screaming to his church?
I know I would, I got TL,DR syndrome

No offence gwgThumbsup

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
Find all posts by this user
28-10-2014, 11:20 AM
Yeah it was not my intent to drop the hammer on him, but he asked for me to substantiate why I believe the bible is a fabrication, and how does one articulate that in a solid, referenced and cited way in a couple of paragraphs? Ugh, I hope I didn't scare him away, be careful what you ask for hehe. I guess in hindsight I could have trickled the info in, but I felt the need to answer each of his questions fully and honestly to the best of my ability.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
28-10-2014, 01:21 PM
Just to be clear, it wasn't a criticism on my part. Your effort was epic and spot-on, I just looked at it from an editor's POV and tried to look at it from a creationist's POV and thought, wow, this could use a haircut. Your knowledge on this subject is evident, superior and much-appreciated. I know I'll be referencing it for a long time, I just hope he sticks around for a continued exchange.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
28-10-2014, 01:51 PM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2014 01:59 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
(28-10-2014 01:21 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Just to be clear, it wasn't a criticism on my part. Your effort was epic and spot-on, I just looked at it from an editor's POV and tried to look at it from a creationist's POV and thought, wow, this could use a haircut. Your knowledge on this subject is evident, superior and much-appreciated. I know I'll be referencing it for a long time, I just hope he sticks around for a continued exchange.

good point and it is hard sometimes to reign it in, and spoon feed the plethora of information on this subject. I guess in hindsight I should have replied with "give me a specific part of the bible you wish to discuss, and we can exchange some perspectives, info etc"..I did kind of drop the bomb on him in retrospect Consider

Yeah I hope he sticks around too, civil exchanges and substantiated responses are where true learning begins. I know him and I aren't going to change each other's minds, but at the very least he walks away with a lot more knowledge on his faith, then most believers bother to dig for...and maybe even just a tiny...seed....of....doubt, from which he may look into my data, and find himself on the path to the truth without even realizing it. Worse case, some of the new folks in the forum who may perchance stumble across this debate may pick up a few things here and there they didn't know, wish to check out, or use....all for the better good. Knowledge is power afterall.

(28-10-2014 08:20 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  WOW! Another gem of a thread GWG. Your detailed posts are like a slap to the face - no a nail gun to the groin - for every theist who chooses to engage with you or read your writings. If all I get is something like this every once in a while, it makes joining TTA that much more worth it!

I would not hold it against your partner in this discussion to just say "well you just have to have faith" and walk away. It is about all that can be done to save face IMO.

Thank you very much, it means a lot to me. I have gathered lots of good books over time, spent a lot of time researching, analyzing, thinking and writing on this subject. It is my passion. It just amazes me that after one reads that info, validates it, thinks about it...they can still retain any faith in the matter....truly validates the term blind faith. I had one 18 year minister on the fence in a class debate recently, and he came back with, "well, even if all of that is true, and even if jesus never existed, he is still my friend, my lord and my savior, and I choose to follow his teachings" ....just makes you bang your head sometimes....

(28-10-2014 09:42 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 09:36 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  I love what you wrote, but am I the only one who thinks this guy is going to feel inundated and intimidated by such a long epic response? It's completely civil, respectful and thorough, but it almost felt like you were just waiting to unleash this opus rather than allowing him to respond gradually, which is how the convo began. I just fear the engagement will break.

I know I would, I got TL,DR syndrome

No offence gwgThumbsup

none taken Smile

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
28-10-2014, 01:53 PM
I think it's more likely that he'll do a "This is clearly the work of the devil".
(I mean these people really actually think devils are running around.)

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
28-10-2014, 02:01 PM
(28-10-2014 01:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I think it's more likely that he'll do a "This is clearly the work of the devil".
and angles, leviathans, witches, Nephilim, dragons etc

28-10-2014, 02:02 PM
(28-10-2014 01:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I think it's more likely that he'll do a "This is clearly the work of the devil".

... They're not? What are we then? Figments of his imagination with superior typing skillz?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
28-10-2014, 02:02 PM
(28-10-2014 02:01 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
and angles, leviathans, witches, Nephilim, dragons etc

Angles definitely exist.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
28-10-2014, 02:05 PM
(28-10-2014 02:02 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 02:01 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  and angles, leviathans, witches, Nephilim, dragons etc

Angles definitely exist.

It was a test!
(or not carefully looking over what I write) angels, I meant angelsTongue