Boy Scouts and atheism.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-02-2016, 11:40 PM
RE: Boy Scouts and atheism.
Make a form for this troop leader to sign saying that in order for you to help, he needs to sign a form acknowledging that there are no rational reasons to believe a god exists

When he finds that unreasonable, you can say, "Now you understand why I think your form is unreasonable."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
29-02-2016, 11:40 PM
I'd just sign it and move on. It means nothing. It's not like you have an actual soul and are giving it over to them. They're the ones that give a crap about such nonsense. Humor them, and prove that it means jack shit.
29-02-2016, 11:53 PM
If you don't wanna sign, don't sign. But I'd cross out the bits I didn't like, much like the Romans did to Jesus Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
01-03-2016, 03:25 AM
Wouldn't be an issue at all where I am.

http://members.scouts.org.uk/fundamentals/?pageid=2944

When i was a kid I got a tremendous amount from Scouting. Those were the days when everyone paid lip-service to rules, regulations, principles and procedures and I'd always thought I'd like to give back something however as an adult like you I had difficulty with the "God" stuff. So much so that I felt I couldn't be arsed to get involved.

I'm glad t o see that things have now changed in the UK. A bit late for me though.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post
01-03-2016, 05:14 AM
Would you support a white supremacist organization if it was "to help the kids"?

I fail to see any distinction between the BSA and the KKK..............

Other than the uniforms of course.

Both advocate "You're with us or against us"...

So, they can both fuck off as far as I'm concerned.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
01-03-2016, 09:38 AM
(29-02-2016 06:00 PM)CabezonJoe Wrote:  Posting here because I'm a long time lurker/listener to the forums and show.

My son's (11yo) best friend's father is a Boy Scout troop leader. He recently asked me to be a badge sponsor for troops in the area for kids who want to persue badges that relate to my career (wildlife biology). I am a lifelong atheist and my son doesn't express any beliefs in a deity that I know of. My son's friend is a theist and he and his family attends a christian church weekly.

While I absolutely would like to encourage kids to explore learning more about science and nature, I can't get past the Boy Scouts of America's discrimination against non-belivers.

To even take on this role I have to fill out an application that requires an oath of faith in some form of deity and there is some BS language about only by belief in a "god" can you be a good & upstanding member of society.

The irony that they are asking me for help in the natural sciences field while requiring my believe in the supernatural is not lost on me.

So my dilemma is, do I just sign the stupid application even though I'm an atheist or do I tell my son's friends dad I can't do it? I know which choice feels right to me, but more importantly should I be honest with the dad and potentially damage my son's friendship over my inability to sign that oath of faith?

Open to suggestions and relevant similar experiences and even a little flaming for being new and needy right out of the gate.

Thanks in advance...

I would just be honest and up front with them. If they still want you then fine. If not, it's their loss. Let them be the one to compromise their principles, don't compromise yours.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
01-03-2016, 09:54 AM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2016 09:58 AM by god has no twitter account.)
deleted

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
01-03-2016, 09:55 AM
My feelings are these: If you lie and sign the form, then yes, children will benefit. However, what if you don't? What about the relationship between your son and his friend? Does he care? Do you? So as not to alienate your son, I would discuss it with him and see what he says.

You could delete that part about the god shit in the declaration and sign it and then see what happens.

The real problem is thought that until someone goes up against these fuckwit christards, they will continue indoctrinating humanity with their christardology. For this to cease, they need to be challenged. So, If you are gonna say no, tell the fucktards in no uncertain terms why they can shove their request right up their ass. Just don't, in the process, alienate your son.

Whatever you decide, I wish you well.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
01-03-2016, 11:02 AM
It's always a dilemma when the parents of your son or daughter's friends have ideas and values (religious, political, ethical etc.) different from yours. I know, because I've been there. I'm not going to tell my son that he can't associate with friends he's made. He can make his own decisions on these matters when he gets older.

I usually do what is required of me and just hold my nose. It's not like you're signing a legal document. You don't even have to explain it to your kid, unless you want to.

Or, if you're really bold (and I must admit, I wouldn't be) , you could do as some have suggested. Cross out the part about the oath to a deity and see how they react. You may be pleasantly surprised!

My advice: teach your kids your values and give them enough latitude to make their own decisions. Chances are, they will emulate their parents as they get older and these values become important to them.

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
01-03-2016, 01:18 PM
How insecure BSA must be in their support of faith that they require it of their instructors.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley