Boy Scouts and atheism.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2016, 01:47 PM
RE: Boy Scouts and atheism.
Glad to see another field biologist here! (I worked for the Kansas Department of Environment until 2006, when life made other plans for me.) I would never get involved with the BSA, even for the purpose of sharing your knowledge. They are a group of outright religious bigots, and I have seen examples of where their gossip-circles quickly set out to ruin the lives of nonbelievers who become entangled with them.

There are many other organizations of a similar but secular nature (no pun intended), with which your son and you can get involved. I am looking into the same thing for my 9-year-old here in the near future.

http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/arts-cultur...ternatives

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2016, 02:18 PM
I was in the scouts from Cub to Boy was ignored from becoming Eagle. I have good and bad memories. Some of the best however where when my dad had taught the group different things. He had been a Oceanographer one point in his life but didn't like spending months at sea so backed out. He also taught us Magic (a career he had while paying his way threw college, as well as physics and engineering.

I felt proud that he was my dad when he was able to give detailed responses to questions the other scouts had. I got to brag a little afterwords.

I don't recall to much of forced religion. Although ... we did hold the meetings in my church. I don't remember any praying and stuff like that mostly just the camping in the outdoors and learning knots.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
01-03-2016, 02:20 PM
(01-03-2016 01:47 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Glad to see another field biologist here! (I worked for the Kansas Department of Environment until 2006, when life made other plans for me.) I would never get involved with the BSA, even for the purpose of sharing your knowledge. They are a group of outright religious bigots, and I have seen examples of where their gossip-circles quickly set out to ruin the lives of nonbelievers who become entangled with them.

There are many other organizations of a similar but secular nature (no pun intended), with which your son and you can get involved. I am looking into the same thing for my 9-year-old here in the near future.

http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/arts-cultur...ternatives

Love it! If I ever get some grandchildren, I'll try the Baden-Powell Service Association.
01-03-2016, 02:55 PM
I wouldn't sign it and I would make sure they knew why. My son is in the scouts and he has a good time but I would not sell myself out like that. I want to be the best example I can be for him and that is par of it.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
01-03-2016, 03:37 PM
If you feel like wasting the time on it there's a funny stunt that you can pull. It was done a year or two back by a German fellow who took a credit card application, used his computer to generate something that looked similar with very different terms, signed that and sent it in. The card company tried to sue him when they finally found out what he'd done but the judge tossed it out because they hadn't bothered to read the contract, as they accuse so many clients of doing.

You could probably alter the statement of faith easily enough that nobody would be likely to notice but so that it said something much more interesting.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
02-03-2016, 09:18 AM
+1 vote for Girly's suggestion in the 2nd post.
02-03-2016, 12:32 PM
(29-02-2016 06:00 PM)CabezonJoe Wrote:  To even take on this role I have to fill out an application that requires an oath of faith in some form of deity and there is some BS language about only by belief in a "god" can you be a good & upstanding member of society.
You guys seem to have a weird form of boy scouts.

Why not just state the truth, tell them you are interested in helping out the kids with science, tell them you are not interested in debating religious matters with the kids, you are not a religious man yourself and you are happy to stick to science.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post