Boy Scouts keep trying to convert me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Boy Scouts keep trying to convert me
Hey, I've been in the Boy Scouts for about a year, and they found out I'm an athiest. Now all they try to do is convert me. They keep showing me Ken Hamm videos, and they've given me a bible to read. I've started reading it, and I'm only 3/4s the way through Genesis, and I already see how much of a douche Yahweh is, but they're persistant. What should I do?

I've got 2 tulpas, Taunav and Eris. If you don't know what a tulpa is, read this.
http://community.tulpa.info/thread-kiahd...-to-tulpas
If Taunav has anything to say, he'll be speaking in []
If Eris has anything to say, she'll be speaking in {}
If you think I'm insane, I don't care
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2013, 09:29 PM
RE: Boy Scouts keep trying to convert me
If it were me I'd talk to my parents about it and let them know (if they aren't already aware). Far as I remember both BSA and AA (although you're not old enough to worry about AA Tongue lol) both push belief in God as a "thing" and hold it as a core part of their "assistance" and support.

In the past several years they've been getting a lot of flak for their stance on gay people and god.

You might find This and this interesting.

Ken Hamm is a young earth creationist and laughable at the very least. But people trying to convert others with such nonsense can be infuriating.
06-01-2013, 09:37 PM
Buy a copy of Buddy's Atheist's Critique of the Bible and ask them to read it.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...s+critique

It's only fair, I think, as you are willing to read their book.

Here is the original thread if you can't buy it....

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-available

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
06-01-2013, 10:02 PM
I would mention though that since you are young and you deal with these people on a regular basis to be mindful of your interactions from day to day. It is easy for us as adults from time to time to say, "man, forget those guys, tell'em to screw off!" as I'm sure some might tell you. But at a younger age when the interactions may be prevalent, the baggage that comes with it can be a total pain in the butt.

Especially in things like school where concentration is to learn and prepare yourself for life, distractions such as constant harassment from people trying to convert you can be a large bother.

I would say be skeptical, realize how important it is to think for yourself but perhaps decide (with of course the guidance of your parents, it sounds like they are atheists, yes?) how you want to approach it in a manner that may not cause more harm than good.

At your age I was quite a fundamentalist christian. I was a young earth creationist (as weird as that may sound). I went to a Christian school and was indoctrinated up to my eyeballs. I would have easily and without hesitation believed crap like Ken Hamm and if you want a real laugh, go look up "Hells Bells, the dangers of rock'n'roll" which scared me into burning any secular or non-christian music I had and listening ONLY to christian music (my oh my how fear is a great tactic to isolate people, hm?).

What I'm getting at is that it may be possible to talk sense into your peers, but realize that as an atheist it is very easy for you to perhaps consider what it would be like to be in their shoes, but to them they may not know anything else and may at this time in their life not understand or comprehend another position as they believe with a fervent and "knowing" manner that "their way is the only way." So be mindful of that if you talk to them about things. It can be infuriating and frustrating to speak to those who are that indoctrinated, but as a previous young earth creationist, I can tell you that apologetics of any kind were easy to fall trap to.

Don't be afraid to think for yourself, stand up for yourself and do what you feel is necessary but again, be mindful of the mindset that others may not comprehend your position and really truly believe that theirs is the only position.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
06-01-2013, 10:17 PM
You could look into Scouting for All.

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Near's post
06-01-2013, 10:30 PM
(06-01-2013 09:29 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Ken Hamm is a young earth creationist and laughable at the very least best.
Fixed.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 6 users Like Vosur's post
07-01-2013, 01:48 AM
What, only the bible? They didn't give your their Book of Mormon, too?

No, the Mormon church doesn't own the BSA, but they sponsor and pay for a big chunk of it and their leadership is instrumental in adapting BSA rules and bylaws to meet Mormon standards. Which is odd since there's still a lot of taxpayer dollars going to BSA which makes it a government program too. So it's a government & religious program simultaneously.

They mainly get away with that because the Mormon church doesn't actually own it, despite directly sponsoring more than 25% of all BSA troops, holding meetings in Mormon church, and funding a huge portion of the BSA's annual operating expenses.

You'll find this directly in the BSA rules:

"The Boy Scouts of America maintains that no member can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation to God. In the first part of the Scout Oath or Promise the member declares, ‘On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law.’ The recognition of God as the ruling and leading power in the universe and the grateful acknowledgment of His favors and blessings are necessary to the best type of citizenship and are wholesome precepts in the education of the growing members." - "Duty to God". BSALegal.org. Archived from the original on May 9, 2008. Retrieved May 25, 2008.

So you're already screwed.

Penn & Teller did a decent episode about the BSA. i found it in its entirety on YouTube (not sure if its presence there is a violation of copyright law or not, but here it is):

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
07-01-2013, 03:27 AM
Quit.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
07-01-2013, 03:28 AM
(07-01-2013 03:27 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Quit.
Isn't that what I said?

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
07-01-2013, 03:53 AM

It's a Christian organization, you loser. You don't belong. You're like a splinter to them. You spoil their fun. Just go home and play "Killer Maniac" on your x box or some damn thing. You're an atheist; you're corrupt. You're not a boy scout.
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to convert True Scotsman true scotsman 60 1,026 29-06-2014 12:49 AM
Last Post: Taqiyya Mockingbird
  How and why do non believing grown ups convert to Christianity? guitarist 22 590 02-11-2013 07:46 PM
Last Post: Thinkerbelle
  Boy Scouts of America Bows and Arrows 2 202 29-05-2013 10:44 AM
Last Post: Impulse
  scouts in the uk paulhe 1 147 30-01-2013 10:36 PM
Last Post: Stan
  How do we convert a Theist? TalladegaTom 50 2,646 06-03-2012 08:37 PM
Last Post: lucradis
  How to De-convert a Christian Zach 12 2,252 19-06-2011 01:13 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan
  HEATHENS, I SHALL CONVERT YOU! LeighJones 8 606 22-04-2011 01:40 AM
Last Post: Efrx86