Boy Scouts keep trying to convert me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2013, 10:24 AM
RE: Boy Scouts keep trying to convert me
(07-01-2013 03:53 AM)Egor Wrote:  It's a Christian organization, you loser. You don't belong. You're like a splinter to them. You spoil their fun. Just go home and play "Killer Maniac" on your x box or some damn thing. You're an atheist; you're corrupt. You're not a boy scout.
Don't mind Igor [sic]. He's got his panties in a bunch because he's trying to start a religion and nobody cares. I think he's being extra nasty lately because he's genuinely upset that nobody's martyred him yet.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2013, 10:26 AM
(07-01-2013 10:24 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(07-01-2013 03:53 AM)Egor Wrote:  It's a Christian organization, you loser. You don't belong. You're like a splinter to them. You spoil their fun. Just go home and play "Killer Maniac" on your x box or some damn thing. You're an atheist; you're corrupt. You're not a boy scout.
Don't mind Igor [sic]. He's got his panties in a bunch because he's trying to start a religion and nobody cares. I think he's being extra nasty lately because he's genuinely upset that nobody's martyred him yet.
All he needs to do is get a few celebrities on board.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
07-01-2013, 11:30 AM
This is an interesting topic. Though I've never been a part of that group, I have heard a lot of what they do in it. I'd say you should probably rethink your position in there. Do you really want to be a part of a group where people are forcing you to read and watch religious material? What made you initially want to go to this group? Was it your idea in the first place? What has changed since then? Do you still want to go? Are you wanting to support a group that pulls these sort of stunts all the time? When you figure that side out, make a plan of action, which may consist of you talking to your folks about your concerns and what you want to do about it (that is, if you're out of the closet on being an atheist (can't remember if you said you were) and they're open to discussion). You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders, and can spot crap from a mile away. Figure out what you want in this. You're a member of BSA at the moment. Don't be afraid to take a stand.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
07-01-2013, 11:55 AM
According to their official web site, the BSA is not a specifically Christian organization. They say they welcome members of all faiths. Take a look at this, where they set forth the religious emblems (Christian, Jewish, Baha'i, Hindu, Islamic, Buddhist, Meher Baba (!) . . . ) that you're allowed to wear on your uniform:

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/awar...wards.aspx

But the BSA is a religion-compulsory group. You've got to believe in a god. Atheists and agnostics are not welcome. Nor are gay people.

You're apparently a thinking young man. If I were you, I'd get out of there as quickly as possible.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
07-01-2013, 12:01 PM
I'd start wearing a Wiccan pentacle, and if they still bothered you threaten to sue for religious discrimination.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
07-01-2013, 12:03 PM
I lasted two meetings in the Boy Scouts. I knew the God thing was going to be a problem.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-01-2013, 02:27 PM
I was a Girl Scout. Went all the way from Brownie through to Cadette. Did the color guard at town hall, walked in parades, camping - the whole shebang. Never paid attention to the god crap - figured that was for someone else. Same with the sexist crap - I didn't turn out a "happy homemaker". Either. Wink
I will always stand proudly as a Brownie Scout!!
[Image: brownie_zps05860ee5.jpg]

I have a few friends who went through the Boy Scouts and like me, they paid no attention to the god crap. I can name a couple of Eagle Scouts right off the bat that I know for a fact are atheists, always were, and have never had any reason to present themselves otherwise. (I think you know how difficult it is to get to Eagle Scout.)

All this rabid god bullshit is new and it's just fucking up Scouting for everyone. If it's really fucking up your life Proboscis, just quit. You know the ropes of Scouting by now - all the stuff they do. Just start your own Scouting club... or just go ROGUE SCOUT. Consider Might miss out on the camaraderie but still, it could be pretty cool.

Be better than them... because you are. At least you are not trying to undermine the "fitness in body and mind" spirit of Scouting - you're just trying to live it.

Fuck those other guys - they have no idea what it's about.

Might want to check out the movie, Moonlight Kingdom... it might contain important information. Never know. Thumbsup

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
07-01-2013, 03:07 PM

Next time they say something about Ken Ham, ask for them to show you his science degree... some concentration in environmental biology degree...

And, then point out these Christians:

Robert Bakker - world renowned paleontologist
Francis Collins - geneticist with a PhD from Yale; also founded BioLogos
Alister McGrath - holds a PhD from Oxford in molecular biophysics

There are numerous more, but this is enough to shut them up. If you remove the aspect of Christianity, they don't have a card to play.
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2013, 07:10 PM
(07-01-2013 11:55 AM)cufflink Wrote:  According to their official web site, the BSA is not a specifically Christian organization. They say they welcome members of all faiths. Take a look at this, where they set forth the religious emblems (Christian, Jewish, Baha'i, Hindu, Islamic, Buddhist, Meher Baba (!) . . . ) that you're allowed to wear on your uniform:

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/awar...wards.aspx

But the BSA is a religion-compulsory group. You've got to believe in a god. Atheists and agnostics are not welcome. Nor are gay people.

You're apparently a thinking young man. If I were you, I'd get out of there as quickly as possible.

Of course they say that. They don't wanna get sued.
Obviously in practice it's very different.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
08-01-2013, 11:10 AM
(06-01-2013 09:21 PM)My proboscis sucks Wrote:  Hey, I've been in the Boy Scouts for about a year, and they found out I'm an athiest. Now all they try to do is convert me. They keep showing me Ken Hamm videos, and they've given me a bible to read. I've started reading it, and I'm only 3/4s the way through Genesis, and I already see how much of a douche Yahweh is, but they're persistant. What should I do?
You should learn the skill of knowing places where you are wanted and unwanted. Simply put.
A satanist would not be welcome in a pentacostal church, right?
Its about 'knowing your place'. Stay there if you want drama, BS and angist. If you seek peace, then get out of the PedoScouts of America. By continuing to be there you are a thorn in their side, you perplex them and all they will know will be to fall back on ritual (conversion techniques). Stick around if you want to be converted...if thats your goal.
It took me a long time to realize i wanted PEACE in my life. I was in my mid twenties till i learned that EVERY battle is not worth fighting.
The answer is right there in front of you.

D
[+] 2 users Like Denicio's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to convert True Scotsman true scotsman 60 1,031 29-06-2014 12:49 AM
Last Post: Taqiyya Mockingbird
  How and why do non believing grown ups convert to Christianity? guitarist 22 592 02-11-2013 07:46 PM
Last Post: Thinkerbelle
  Boy Scouts of America Bows and Arrows 2 202 29-05-2013 10:44 AM
Last Post: Impulse
  scouts in the uk paulhe 1 147 30-01-2013 10:36 PM
Last Post: Stan
  How do we convert a Theist? TalladegaTom 50 2,651 06-03-2012 08:37 PM
Last Post: lucradis
  How to De-convert a Christian Zach 12 2,254 19-06-2011 01:13 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan
  HEATHENS, I SHALL CONVERT YOU! LeighJones 8 607 22-04-2011 01:40 AM
Last Post: Efrx86