Boy Scouts keep trying to convert me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2013, 11:22 AM
RE: Boy Scouts keep trying to convert me
(06-01-2013 09:21 PM)My proboscis sucks Wrote:  Hey, I've been in the Boy Scouts for about a year, and they found out I'm an athiest. Now all they try to do is convert me. They keep showing me Ken Hamm videos, and they've given me a bible to read. I've started reading it, and I'm only 3/4s the way through Genesis, and I already see how much of a douche Yahweh is, but they're persistant. What should I do?
Well the camp leader can't rape an atheist and get away with it. :l what do you expect them to do?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Nappa's post
08-01-2013, 11:33 AM
(06-01-2013 09:21 PM)My proboscis sucks Wrote:  Hey, I've been in the Boy Scouts for about a year, and they found out I'm an athiest. Now all they try to do is convert me. They keep showing me Ken Hamm videos, and they've given me a bible to read. I've started reading it, and I'm only 3/4s the way through Genesis, and I already see how much of a douche Yahweh is, but they're persistant. What should I do?
Another good approach is to quid pro quo with them. For every Hamm video show them a Hitchens or Dawkins video!
ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS end statements with a question! Never make blanket assertions or commentary, they dont care and will wait their turn to talk. By asking questions if forces them to engage in the conversation.
Why are there so many inconsistancies?
Why is Jesus anti family? (look for more content on TTA's bible inconsistancy page). By asking them about stuff they have NO IDEA ABOUT (chances are they have never read the bible) you will reveal things to them.
Is John 3:16 about God murdering his son (had the power to stop it) or is it the "Greatest Suicide Story ever told"?
Or Trinity Talk...how in the hell does 1+1+1=1?? If JC is the son and has been around all along (trinity speak) then JC is equally guilty for the Old Testament atrocities, right? So, JESUS ordered the bears to kill those kids who made fun of Elijas bald head. JESUS killed the unborn and infants in the flood, right? Jesus killed egypts first born on Passover, right? Please mr scout leader, help me understand why all this murder is somehow moral? We'd get 99 to life in jail, but you worship this immoral beast?
Then the biggie..WHY would you want to spend a second...or eternity with such a diabolical murdering madman?
You can always play the "Who's more moral" game too. By using the same lines or argument. Then at the end of the game you can proclaim that YOU are more moral than god! Then its totally up to you to ask them to get on their knees and worship you as a MORAL god! :-)

Personally i'd just get out of that organization. They are proving to be yet another hate fill gang of bigots. Why would you even want to associate with them? You can learn to tie knots on youtube!
D
[+] 2 users Like Denicio's post
08-01-2013, 11:49 AM
(08-01-2013 11:33 AM)Denicio Wrote:  
Another good approach is to quid pro quo with them. For every Hamm video show them a Hitchens or Dawkins video!
ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS end statements with a question! Never make blanket assertions or commentary, they dont care and will wait their turn to talk. By asking questions if forces them to engage in the conversation.
Why is Jesus anti family? (look for more content on TTA's bible inconsistancy page). By asking them about stuff they have NO IDEA ABOUT (chances are they have never read the bible) you will reveal things to them.
Is John 3:16 about God murdering his son (had the power to stop it) or is it the "Greatest Suicide Story ever told"?
Or Trinity Talk...how in the hell does 1+1+1=1?? If JC is the son and has been around all along (trinity speak) then JC is equally guilty for the Old Testament atrocities, right? So, JESUS ordered the bears to kill those kids who made fun of Elijas bald head. JESUS killed the unborn and infants in the flood, right? Jesus killed egypts first born on Passover, right? Please mr scout leader, help me understand why all this murder is somehow moral? We'd get 99 to life in jail, but you worship this immoral beast?
Then the biggie..WHY would you want to spend a second...or eternity with such a diabolical murdering madman?
You can always play the "Who's more moral" game too. By using the same lines or argument. Then at the end of the game you can proclaim that YOU are more moral than god! Then its totally up to you to ask them to get on their knees and worship you as a MORAL god! :-)

Personally i'd just get out of that organization. They are proving to be yet another hate fill gang of bigots. Why would you even want to associate with them? You can learn to tie knots on youtube!
D
Hitchens is dead and Dawkins isn't exactly the friendliest, I'd go with Carl Sagan.
08-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Makes me thankful that I've never had an oppotunity to join one of those organisations. Me and my social ineptitude/indifference. frankly, I would not be putting up with that shit.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
08-01-2013, 01:49 PM
(08-01-2013 11:33 AM)Denicio Wrote:  How in the hell does 1+1+1=1??
Obviously working in Z2. Which is the most basic prime group, so that actually makes sense.*

*As much or more than a lot of other religious stuff. Ooooh, you can draw all sorts of unsupported mathematical/theological parallels with boolean math! Like 1 being God and 0 being Satan! And.... wait, what? A Renaissance mathematician already did this? Was it Pascal? I'd wager it was Pascal.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 5 users Like Reltzik's post
08-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Best advice is to get out of the boyscouts *shrug*

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
08-01-2013, 04:16 PM
I actually want to stay in the BSA for the Eagle. It looks good on your resume. I had a meeting yesterday, and asked them if the Bible is the word of God, and you must do as it says, or you'll burn in hell. They said yes. I asked them if they would kill me. They said "of course not". I showed them Leviticus 24:16 "All blasphemers of the Lord must be put to death". That shut them up. Anyways, they've stopped trying to convert me after that, because I don't go down without a fight, and now we're doing normal stuff.

P.S.-Cheapthrillseeker, I am not a closet Athiest

P.P.S.-Finished Genisis, and now I'm on Exodus.

I've got 2 tulpas, Taunav and Eris. If you don't know what a tulpa is, read this.
http://community.tulpa.info/thread-kiahd...-to-tulpas
If Taunav has anything to say, he'll be speaking in []
If Eris has anything to say, she'll be speaking in {}
If you think I'm insane, I don't care
[+] 3 users Like My proboscis sucks's post
08-01-2013, 04:20 PM
(08-01-2013 04:16 PM)My proboscis sucks Wrote:  I actually want to stay in the BSA for the Eagle. It looks good on your resume. I had a meeting yesterday, and asked them if the Bible is the word of God, and you must do as it says, or you'll burn in hell. They said yes. I asked them if they would kill me. They said "of course not". I showed them Leviticus 24:16 "All blasphemers of the Lord must be put to death". That shut them up. Anyways, they've stopped trying to convert me after that, because I don't go down without a fight, and now we're doing normal stuff.

P.S.-Cheapthrillseeker, I am not a closet Athiest

P.P.S.-Finished Genisis, and now I'm on Exodus.

If you want a fun way to read the bible, expecially with an Ipod in the car....look up the podcast on Itunes called "Thomas and the Bible". Not only will it help you thru the tedious parts, but his side commentary is great stuff you can use too.
I just love how god's Number ONE pick, Abraham, lied about his Wife and called her his sister. Dont you just LOVE those biblical morals! God's got such a great judge of character. Just you wait till you see god chase down Moses to KILL him becuase of his son's uncircumcized penis...and see Moses' wife's FAST solution to this problem!
08-01-2013, 05:18 PM
I would like to reiterate my response.

It is more effective that trying to argue Christian vs atheist. If you argue Christian vs Christian, you'll have an easier time.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
08-01-2013, 10:33 PM
(08-01-2013 11:49 AM)Heilo Wrote:  
(08-01-2013 11:33 AM)Denicio Wrote:  Another good approach is to quid pro quo with them. For every Hamm video show them a Hitchens or Dawkins video!

D
Hitchens is dead and Dawkins isn't exactly the friendliest, I'd go with Carl Sagan.
Yeah, but Hitchen's is very powerful, he doesn't throw any punches. Darkwin's tends to be more demure, and thus lacks the same bite. But if you wanted another option to these three great choices, might I suggest Sam Harris? He has a knack for condensing a 100,000 word argument into a few paragraphs, and he can also be quite funny. They're all great thinkers, but they all have different takes on it.

Just remember that there is no 'silver bullet' that will kill faith in 1 shot. Faith is built more like a web, a collection of ideas supporting the entire belief structure. Dismantling it requires dismantling it's separate components, often built upon heresay and presupossition. Start dismantling prayer by talking about the many studies that have show it doesn't work. How intercessory prayer is silly in the presence of a omniscient god. How can biblical inerrancy stand up in light of the history of that god and his books? How everyone the world over, in all religions, are convinced they can feel god. Are they all delusional, but not the Christians? What prevents us from labeling the Christians delusional too, in the light of psychology?

Ask enough biting questions, and you'll have a front row seat to Cognitive Dissonance setting in. It's like pouring sand into a car engine, there is a lot of smoke and grinding noises involved, as the engine stutters and may eventually die.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]