Boy lied about going to heaven

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2015, 04:22 PM
Boy lied about going to heaven.

Quote:"The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven" actually never went.

Alex Malarkey, a young boy who co-authored a book with his father about going to heaven and returning to earth first published in 2010, wrote an open letter to Christian publishers retracting his story.

In 2004, Malarkey and his father, who is a Christian therapist, were in a bad car accident that left the six-year-old boy paralyzed and in a coma.

According to the book's Amazon page, "When Alex awoke from a coma two months later, he had an incredible story to share. Of events at the accident scene and in the hospital while he was unconscious. Of the angels who took him through the gates of Heaven itself. And, most amazing of all ... of meeting and talking with Jesus."

The letter that Alex, who is now 16, wrote to publishers says he made the whole thing up: "I said I went to heaven because I thought it would get me attention. When I made the claims that I did, I had never read the Bible. People have profited from lies, and continue to. They should read the Bible, which is enough."

Two major Christian bookstores, Lifeway and Tyndale House, have announced plans to pull the books from stores.

Last April, Alex's mother, Beth Malarkey, wrote on her blog that the book was untrue. She also implied that Alex has not received the proceeds from the book sales:

It is both puzzling and painful to watch the book The Boy who Came Back from Heaven to not only continue to sell, but to continue, for the most part, to not be questioned... The ones making money from the book are NOT the ones staying up through the night, struggling for their breath, or were they the ones at six years old, waking up unable to move or breathe and in a strange place after last remember seeing a car coming right at the car he was riding in.

Now, if only my dreams will come true and that boy from that lame movie heaven is for real will come out and tell everyone he made up his stupid bull shit lol!

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Shadow Fox's post
17-01-2015, 04:34 PM
RE: Boy lied about going to heaven
(17-01-2015 04:22 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Boy lied about going to heaven.

Quote:"The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven" actually never went.

Alex Malarkey, a young boy who co-authored a book with his father about going to heaven and returning to earth first published in 2010, wrote an open letter to Christian publishers retracting his story.

In 2004, Malarkey and his father, who is a Christian therapist, were in a bad car accident that left the six-year-old boy paralyzed and in a coma.

According to the book's Amazon page, "When Alex awoke from a coma two months later, he had an incredible story to share. Of events at the accident scene and in the hospital while he was unconscious. Of the angels who took him through the gates of Heaven itself. And, most amazing of all ... of meeting and talking with Jesus."

The letter that Alex, who is now 16, wrote to publishers says he made the whole thing up: "I said I went to heaven because I thought it would get me attention. When I made the claims that I did, I had never read the Bible. People have profited from lies, and continue to. They should read the Bible, which is enough."

Two major Christian bookstores, Lifeway and Tyndale House, have announced plans to pull the books from stores.

Last April, Alex's mother, Beth Malarkey, wrote on her blog that the book was untrue. She also implied that Alex has not received the proceeds from the book sales:

It is both puzzling and painful to watch the book The Boy who Came Back from Heaven to not only continue to sell, but to continue, for the most part, to not be questioned... The ones making money from the book are NOT the ones staying up through the night, struggling for their breath, or were they the ones at six years old, waking up unable to move or breathe and in a strange place after last remember seeing a car coming right at the car he was riding in.

Now, if only my dreams will come true and that boy from that lame movie heaven is for real will come out and tell everyone he made up his stupid bull shit lol!

I think the boys last name says everything about his story.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 8 users Like JDog554's post
17-01-2015, 05:35 PM
He going to Hell. ... What am I saying, he's already living it. Whoever put him up to it is going to Hell. Put daddy in jail for fraud and seize his assets and give 'em to the kid.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
17-01-2015, 06:12 PM
The kid, and his mother, have retracted the story, admitting it was all made up. Call me a cynic, but it appears as though the real reason for the retraction is that they are not getting any proceeds from the sale of the book. If the money was still coming in, it would be business as usual.

And that is what Christianity is… big business.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like Mark Fulton's post
17-01-2015, 06:49 PM
Never heard of this book but I'm not surprised to read that his father was a Christian therapist. Of course Alex'd think, even at six, that saying that he went to heaven would get him attention and, of course, his dad probably helped push him to write a book to give him more credibility to his religion and his practice (or that'd be my guess since he is the co-author and the book was published when the kid was like, what, 12? Then again, they might have been in debt after hospital bills and published the book at an attempt to get income so who am I to say?) Also, no surprise that though the book is being pulled from two major Christian bookstores and the kid's statement,

Quote:The Boy who Came Back from Heaven to not only continue to sell, but to continue, for the most part, to not be questioned...

Just goes to show that believers will continue to believe in what they want to believe even when the creator of the book themselves say, "it was a lie." Though, in their potential defense, when did Alex make this statement? The article doesn't say. If it was really recent, maybe the news of him saying that hasn't been, y'know, spread around that much so not that many people might know yet. Even if that is true, it is very likely that people will ignore that fact and draw inspiration from his lie.

No doubt, when/if the kid from Heaven is for Real admits that he dreamed it/lied about it (from what I understand from the Bible Reloaded review, he never actually died so no one should be shocked but of course they will be if he says), both the movie and the book will continue to sell. I do feel sorry for these kids. They have to live with the consequences of their lie for the rest of their life. Not just that they lied but also having to deal with the probably thousands of people that thanked them for their story and might even express that their near death-experience was a blessing since they met Jesus and could tell the world about him. Hell, Alex will probably still get letters like that. After all, it's still selling. Unless maybe they publish new copies with a forward that tells his reader that Alex only said he went to heaven for attention. Ah, but the publisher'll probably say that's unnecessary and who knows better than the person getting the money off your book?

[Image: notagain.gif]
17-01-2015, 06:50 PM
(17-01-2015 04:22 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Now, if only my dreams will come true and that boy from that lame movie heaven is for real will come out and tell everyone he made up his stupid bull shit lol!

I was thinking the same thing!
17-01-2015, 06:50 PM
How is it that there are people out there that are more than willing to prey on the gullible, what's more, to toy with their emotions and hopes, for a quick buck is beyond me.

But never mind me, I'm just a lost soul, roaming aimlessly until the end of my days.
17-01-2015, 09:35 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2015 10:23 PM by GirlyMan.)
(17-01-2015 06:50 PM)Silmar Wrote:  But never mind me, I'm just a lost soul, roaming aimlessly until the end of my days.

poor baby. Big Grin

two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
17-01-2015, 10:54 PM
(17-01-2015 09:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-01-2015 06:50 PM)Silmar Wrote:  But never mind me, I'm just a lost soul, roaming aimlessly until the end of my days.

poor baby. Big Grin

two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

[Image: 90206626.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&...574BB1F2EB]

Good thing the background music is awesome! Clap
[+] 1 user Likes Silmar's post
18-01-2015, 12:37 AM
Quote:No doubt, when/if the kid from Heaven is for Real admits that he dreamed it/lied about it ... he never actually died so no one should be shocked

A very, very strange phenemenon, even among many non-theists and skeptics: People continue to say that people "died" and "came back to life" in these alleged NDEs or short-bus trips to heaven or whatever the fuck. Even medical types write books about how people "died" and were revived.

No. If someone is alive, they didn't die. Whatever state they were in, they were not dead.

Pet peeve.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
[+] 2 users Like claywise's post