Boy lied about going to heaven

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2015, 07:20 PM
RE: Boy lied about going to heaven
(18-01-2015 12:37 AM)claywise Wrote:  
Quote:No doubt, when/if the kid from Heaven is for Real admits that he dreamed it/lied about it ... he never actually died so no one should be shocked

A very, very strange phenemenon, even among many non-theists and skeptics: People continue to say that people "died" and "came back to life" in these alleged NDEs or short-bus trips to heaven or whatever the fuck. Even medical types write books about how people "died" and were revived.

No. If someone is alive, they didn't die. Whatever state they were in, they were not dead.

Pet peeve.

I've always questioned the medical types who go along with this. Surely if your out of your body, then your out of your brain.. The hard drive for your memories. So if you've left your body, or it is dead then there is no hard drive to retain these memories.

How many times do you have that weird dream where someone is calling your name and it turns out to be someone waking you up. This is no different.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2015, 07:31 PM
(18-01-2015 07:20 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  I've always questioned the medical types who go along with this. Surely if your out of your body, then your out of your brain.. The hard drive for your memories. So if you've left your body, or it is dead then there is no hard drive to retain these memories.

How many times do you have that weird dream where someone is calling your name and it turns out to be someone waking you up. This is no different.

Doctors are usually monitoring your heart and lungs, not your brain activity. How would those doctors know when you're really "dead"?

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
18-01-2015, 07:34 PM
(18-01-2015 07:20 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  
(18-01-2015 12:37 AM)claywise Wrote:  A very, very strange phenemenon, even among many non-theists and skeptics: People continue to say that people "died" and "came back to life" in these alleged NDEs or short-bus trips to heaven or whatever the fuck. Even medical types write books about how people "died" and were revived.

No. If someone is alive, they didn't die. Whatever state they were in, they were not dead.

Pet peeve.

I've always questioned the medical types who go along with this. Surely if your out of your body, then your out of your brain.. The hard drive for your memories. So if you've left your body, or it is dead then there is no hard drive to retain these memories.

^^^^^ Yep. I had an "outer body experience" when I was a kid. It was nothing more than my dream state mixing with my open eyes and auditory senses.

I've actually had dreams where I was reacting to the TV characters and or commercials.

Also when I was a kid, I saw my dead grandmother at the foot of my bed. My dead father at the foot of my bed. And my currently and still living mother at the foot off my bed. I look back at it now and know that was merely a sleep state where my brain was being over active mixing my dream with my senses.

There is nothing after you die.. Just like if you were to smash your computer to tiny bits, the broken parts will not function like the fully in tact computer.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-01-2015, 07:29 AM
(17-01-2015 04:22 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Boy lied about going to heaven.

Quote:"The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven" actually never went.

Alex Malarkey, a young boy who co-authored a book with his father about going to heaven and returning to earth first published in 2010, wrote an open letter to Christian publishers retracting his story.

In 2004, Malarkey and his father, who is a Christian therapist, were in a bad car accident that left the six-year-old boy paralyzed and in a coma.

According to the book's Amazon page, "When Alex awoke from a coma two months later, he had an incredible story to share. Of events at the accident scene and in the hospital while he was unconscious. Of the angels who took him through the gates of Heaven itself. And, most amazing of all ... of meeting and talking with Jesus."

The letter that Alex, who is now 16, wrote to publishers says he made the whole thing up: "I said I went to heaven because I thought it would get me attention. When I made the claims that I did, I had never read the Bible. People have profited from lies, and continue to. They should read the Bible, which is enough."

Two major Christian bookstores, Lifeway and Tyndale House, have announced plans to pull the books from stores.

Last April, Alex's mother, Beth Malarkey, wrote on her blog that the book was untrue. She also implied that Alex has not received the proceeds from the book sales:

It is both puzzling and painful to watch the book The Boy who Came Back from Heaven to not only continue to sell, but to continue, for the most part, to not be questioned... The ones making money from the book are NOT the ones staying up through the night, struggling for their breath, or were they the ones at six years old, waking up unable to move or breathe and in a strange place after last remember seeing a car coming right at the car he was riding in.

Now, if only my dreams will come true and that boy from that lame movie heaven is for real will come out and tell everyone he made up his stupid bull shit lol!

Eh... That ain't surprising.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
20-01-2015, 12:05 PM
(17-01-2015 06:12 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  The kid, and his mother, have retracted the story, admitting it was all made up. Call me a cynic, but it appears as though the real reason for the retraction is that they are not getting any proceeds from the sale of the book. If the money was still coming in, it would be business as usual.

And that is what Christianity is… big business.

Mark,

Can I tell you why your post is so upsetting to me? It's because the article clearly states the kid made up his story without ever having read the Bible and then went on to tell people to read it for themselves!

You're taking someone who hadn't read the Bible when lying, then recommends reading it after revealing his falsehood, as representative of a whole group of people of faith.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
20-01-2015, 12:32 PM
(20-01-2015 12:05 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(17-01-2015 06:12 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  The kid, and his mother, have retracted the story, admitting it was all made up. Call me a cynic, but it appears as though the real reason for the retraction is that they are not getting any proceeds from the sale of the book. If the money was still coming in, it would be business as usual.

Mark,

Can I tell you why your post is so upsetting to me? It's because the article clearly states the kid made up his story without ever having read the Bible and then went on to tell people to read it for themselves!

You're taking someone who hadn't read the Bible when lying, then recommends reading it after revealing his falsehood, as representative of a whole group of people of faith.

The book and film were touted as a true story. Proof of miracles and of god.

I think money is a motivator. The kid told a story to get attention, the father ran with it -- according to the mother embellished it, there was obviously a divorce, the father got the money from the book and movie and the child and mom got squat.

It's unlikely if the kid was getting money he would have come forward. Yes, I realize I'm speculating but so are you Q.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-01-2015, 04:19 PM
(20-01-2015 12:05 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  

Mark,

Laughat

As Momsby pointed out, the merch was billed as true. It was designed to bilk people out of their money. And this has been a running theme for pretty much every religion for centuries, and christianity on the large-end is a wonderful representation of their love god's love of money; why else do they shamelessly beg for money ad infinitum? It's not like they need it to pay the taxes they owe society.

Look, man; we are talking about a billion dollar industry that is dedicated to convincing people that they are sick and then selling them a cure on an instalment plan, and you get upset when people suggest that it's just a big money-making venture?

As an aside; I suppose that we should be glad that you haven't read Mark's book. If the business suggestion upsets you, his book might send you further down the path of madness.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
22-01-2015, 03:42 PM
Original post:

Quote:The kid, and his mother, have retracted the story, admitting it was all made up. Call me a cynic, but it appears as though the real reason for the retraction is that they are not getting any proceeds from the sale of the book. If the money was still coming in, it would be business as usual.

There is tremendous irony in a post about a person who said they formerly lied for attention, then money, then repented, then urged people that formerly they never read one word of the Bible but encouraged people to read it to become like them (repentant), saying that biblical Christianity is about money.

More irony follows as I consider what I myself and many, many people have foregone to be Christian in outlook and practice. Money! There are SO many things and activities I could have done for my benefit that I instead did to serve Jesus. Mark's post seemed a bit like (some) other posts at TTA, people reading something uncritically, not carefully, then saying something off--that is actually ironic.

Again, I know and you know of fifty people on TV who visit gay and military funerals and behave with the worst stereotypes people ascribe to born again Christians. Then there are millions who are faithful. I can think of dozens of people in the world famous for using the gospel and the church to bilk people of money--than I can think of dozens more in my hometown who are "real".

Forget Q's old "true Christian" NTS bit. I'd go a long way to have some of you meet real people in my real church and see their real lives, really!

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
22-01-2015, 03:58 PM
Umm.. No shit.
22-01-2015, 04:02 PM
Oh wait. I get it now. We are playing the "obvious" game.
Humans breath oxygen.
[+] 2 users Like Drunkin Druid's post