Boy, religious people sure do like to feel insulted over nothing.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2012, 05:45 PM
RE: Boy, religious people sure do like to feel insulted over nothing.
(25-09-2012 05:31 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(25-09-2012 10:45 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Complaining about an ad hominem and then responding with one... how are you any different?
You may want to recheck your definition of ad hominem. Drinking Beverage

I'm not fond of that line, either, but Vosur's right -- it isn't ad hominem, but rather personal abuse (because it isn't being used to undermine an opponent's argument). It still shouldn't show up here in my opinion, but it isn't fallacious... just cruel.

Ad Hominem and personal abuse are extremely similar, but this page should help clarify the difference.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
25-09-2012, 08:22 PM
I love the story and all OP, but really, can we stop creating threads with the intent of circle jerking?

These threads with no substance are killing me. "He said this and she said that. What an idiot right guys?"

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes NotSoVacuous's post
25-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Boy you are right.

I certainly have never been called names: IE fucker, asshole, piece of shit, etc. by an atheist on any blog or forum...nope just us Christians with the name calling for sure!

Though i will say this: on behalf on ANY Christian who calls ANYONE a name such as described in the original post, I apologize and agree that such statements are wrong.
25-09-2012, 11:06 PM
(25-09-2012 10:45 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(25-09-2012 09:02 AM)Vlad Wrote:  I guess some religious people are so fragile and mentally weak that the mere thought of someone not believing in the same God as they do, is insulting and hurtful to them.

Complaining about an ad hominem and then responding with one... how are you any different?

Bolding the wrong words there dude.

I guess some religious people are so fragile and mentally weak that the mere thought of someone not believing in the same God as they do, is insulting and hurtful to them.

Fixed.

Quote:Though i will say this: on behalf on ANY Christian who calls ANYONE a name such as described in the original post, I apologize and agree that such statements are wrong.

You are speaking for other people and so your apology is meaningless.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
26-09-2012, 09:37 PM
(25-09-2012 08:22 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  I love the story and all OP, but really, can we stop creating threads with the intent of circle jerking?

These threads with no substance are killing me. "He said this and she said that. What an idiot right guys?"

It's fairly normal for people want to want to vent. This isn't reddit, where people submit and upvote or downvote for rep. People come here to talk to each other. Sometimes people want to vent. It's awfully hard for atheists to go to places where they aren't welcome to vent, so many of us come here.

Simple solution: If you don't like the title of the thread, or it looks uninteresting, don't read it. The moderators will take care of content they feel isn't worthy of submission, and users who violate rules will be taken care of. But everyone is free to submit and talk about what they want to within the rules of the forums.

You have most certainly submitted some interesting threads which are thought provoking and interesting, but some people might see those as a waste of time or repetitive and I'm sure you might disagree with them.

Perhaps give the people who are "submitting useless threads" feedback as to perhaps what you think is more interesting or thought provoking for interesting conversation, instead of insulting them for simply venting about stuff. It's normal human nature to vent and feel the need for confirmation through peers. Discouraging them to hold in their anger or frustration helps them in no way. Encouraging them to use it in a thought provoking manner, however, may be more productive for them. Sometimes the simplest of, "Yeah don't worry man, you're not crazy, we feel the same way." is a giant relief for them, as sometimes, it can seem like they're the only sane one surrounded by assholes.

For some people, this forum is the only medium through which they talk to like minded people as they are surrounded by bigoted, narrow minded people, who would frown upon them for being themselves. They may not have anyone local they can talk to, or vent with. So from time to time we see that on here. I get that, I've done it myself. So why should we tell them to shut up? It takes less time for you to click on another thread and read something interesting, than it does for you to insult them. Or, if you really want to waste your own time bothering to write about it, you could even tell them how to be more productive. But that's up to you.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
27-09-2012, 07:10 AM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2012 07:14 AM by Logica Humano.)
(25-09-2012 10:45 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(25-09-2012 09:02 AM)Vlad Wrote:  I guess some religious people are so fragile and mentally weak that the mere thought of someone not believing in the same God as they do, is insulting and hurtful to them.

Complaining about an ad hominem and then responding with one... how are you any different?

I fail to see how that is an ad hominem. And why stop at the religious' mental fragility? What about their psychological fragility? Not to mention their beliefs fail to live up to the simple scrutiny of the scientific method.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
27-09-2012, 08:40 AM
(25-09-2012 05:45 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(25-09-2012 05:31 PM)Vosur Wrote:  You may want to recheck your definition of ad hominem. Drinking Beverage

I'm not fond of that line, either, but Vosur's right -- it isn't ad hominem, but rather personal abuse (because it isn't being used to undermine an opponent's argument). It still shouldn't show up here in my opinion, but it isn't fallacious... just cruel.

Ad Hominem and personal abuse are extremely similar, but this page should help clarify the difference.

Yeah, I called the wrong fallacy.

But, you get the idea I'm trying to convey.

Insulting an insult is counter productive.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
27-09-2012, 08:49 AM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2012 08:54 AM by Logica Humano.)
(27-09-2012 08:40 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(25-09-2012 05:45 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I'm not fond of that line, either, but Vosur's right -- it isn't ad hominem, but rather personal abuse (because it isn't being used to undermine an opponent's argument). It still shouldn't show up here in my opinion, but it isn't fallacious... just cruel.

Yeah, I called the wrong fallacy.

But pointing out the weak mental and psychological constitutions of said believers may be perceived as an offensive truth, but it is still a truth. I fail to see how your belief, or any other blind faith, can be healthy or productive.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
27-09-2012, 08:53 AM
"How dare you insult religion you scumbag, we deserve respect". Yeap, sounds about right.
27-09-2012, 09:37 AM
(27-09-2012 08:49 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(27-09-2012 08:40 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yeah, I called the wrong fallacy.

But pointing out the weak mental and psychological constitutions of said believers may be perceived as an offensive truth, but it is still a truth. I fail to see how your belief, or any other blind faith, can be healthy or productive.

Saying that I'm fragile and mentally weak just because I believe in faith is fallacious.

I'm probably more hardy and mentally strong that most people - regardless of their beliefs.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]