Boycott Lowe's

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2011, 12:04 AM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2011 12:37 AM by gamutman.)
Boycott Lowe's

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-fe...row-272479

Russell Simmons Calls for Lowe's Boycott, Personally Buys Ad Time on 'All-American Muslim'
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-12-2011, 07:33 AM
RE: Boycott Lowe's
Don't care. If they don't want to support muslin propaganda, then who am I to argue? I don't care much for them myself, or xtians for that matter.
14-12-2011, 11:19 AM
(14-12-2011 07:33 AM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  Don't care. If they don't want to support muslin propaganda, then who am I to argue? I don't care much for them myself, or xtians for that matter.

You should care. Not because they're Muslims, but because Lowe's allowed a fringe group's hate to dictate their policy. Sometimes slippery slope is a fallacy, sometimes not. In the words of pastor Martin Niemöller: Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Do you remember why we draw Mohammad? It's because a fringe group cowed Comedy Central into censoring a cartoon. This is exactly the same moral issue. Exactly the same.
[+] 2 users Like gamutman's post
14-12-2011, 11:27 AM
They're a privately owned company and do whatever the heck they want. The fact that they may (or may not) be bigoted has nothing to do with the products they sell.

I don't understand why you have to be politically correct in order to effectively sell a consumer product.

I don't agree with the pulling of the ads, but, again, that has absolutely zero to do with the products they sell.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
14-12-2011, 11:53 AM
(14-12-2011 11:27 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  They're a privately owned company and do whatever the heck they want. The fact that they may (or may not) be bigoted has nothing to do with the products they sell.

I don't understand why you have to be politically correct in order to effectively sell a consumer product.

I don't agree with the pulling of the ads, but, again, that has absolutely zero to do with the products they sell.

If a sponsor pulled support from NOVA because fundies didn't like their atheist agenda, I bet you'd be singing a different tune. The fact that Lowe's has the legal right to cave-in to bigotry isn't the point. Yes, they had the right. If the issue was that they didn't have the right then I wouldn't be suggesting a boycott, I'd be suggesting that they be sued or brought up on charges.
14-12-2011, 11:57 AM
(14-12-2011 11:27 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  They're a privately owned company and do whatever the heck they want. The fact that they may (or may not) be bigoted has nothing to do with the products they sell.

^^ This sums up my feelings too. ^^^

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
14-12-2011, 11:58 AM
(14-12-2011 11:53 AM)gamutman Wrote:  

If a sponsor pulled support from NOVA because fundies didn't like their atheist agenda, I bet you'd be singing a different tune. The fact that Lowe's has the legal right to cave-in to bigotry isn't the point. Yes, they had the right. If the issue was that they didn't have the right then I wouldn't be suggesting a boycott, I'd be suggesting that they be sued or brought up on charges.

No, not really. I don't think religion belongs in politics or government. I could care less who sponsors whom or who they support. It has no bearing on consumer products.

Hasty generalizations are dangerous.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
14-12-2011, 12:05 PM
I saw the discussion of this show on The Daily Show last night. I agree, Lowe's made a knee-jerk reaction to an overblown response to the program, and they made the wrong call. So?

Should we boycott every company that doesn't advertise on NOVA? Lowe's had the right to withdraw advertising in the same way they had a right to not advertise there in the first place - the only difference is that Lowe's at least supported it at one time, as opposed to advertisers that thought "A show about Muslims? Not interested" all along.

Besides, what are we hoping to change? Do we want to force Lowe's to advertise on a program that they don't support? Is that fair?

Let's not tread on this company's rights in the pursuit of making a point. Let's not force Jon Stewart to get his caulk from a hobo in a dark alley.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-12-2011, 01:19 PM
I haven't been to Lowes in 15 years. I don't know how much more I could boycott it.

I love the guy's explanation as to why he was offended. There weren't any jihadist extremists on the show. All shows featuring muslims should be required to have a suicide bomber and a beheading... or else it's reinforcing a fantasy muslim lifestyle that simply doesn't exist.

God Bless America.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
14-12-2011, 01:58 PM
I heard about this and apparently the group was lying saying they had a large number of sponsors dropping their support and in the end it was just Lowes. Young Turks Take On Lowes
[+] 1 user Likes davidbehrns's post