Boycott Lowe's

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2011, 02:37 PM
RE: Boycott Lowe's
(14-12-2011 01:58 PM)davidbehrns Wrote:  I heard about this and apparently the group was lying saying they had a large number of sponsors dropping their support and in the end it was just Lowes. Young Turks Take On Lowes

Dodgy I kind of care about this because once again, it is the religious right exerting it's power over someone, so the only way to fight it is to make sure that if it happens again, they will be stood up to. Hmm...

Undecided Unfortunately, Lowes has now found itself in the middle of this crap.... as have I. Just because I care, do I let myself be sucked in to the Chrity-y's petty bullshit and try to best their future power by boycotting a company who should have known better?

Angry fuck. Shame on Lowes, but more importantly:
May a can-o-whup-ass be opened on all right-wing Christ-y organizations!

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
14-12-2011, 05:54 PM
(14-12-2011 11:58 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(14-12-2011 11:53 AM)gamutman Wrote:  
(14-12-2011 11:27 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  They're a privately owned company and do whatever the heck they want. The fact that they may (or may not) be bigoted has nothing to do with the products they sell.

I don't understand why you have to be politically correct in order to effectively sell a consumer product.

I don't agree with the pulling of the ads, but, again, that has absolutely zero to do with the products they sell.

If a sponsor pulled support from NOVA because fundies didn't like their atheist agenda, I bet you'd be singing a different tune. The fact that Lowe's has the legal right to cave-in to bigotry isn't the point. Yes, they had the right. If the issue was that they didn't have the right then I wouldn't be suggesting a boycott, I'd be suggesting that they be sued or brought up on charges.

No, not really. I don't think religion belongs in politics or government. I could care less who sponsors whom or who they support. It has no bearing on consumer products.

Hasty generalizations are dangerous.

Some people stand for what's right. Others don't. That's cool. I don't understand your point about politics or government though. This isn't about either. It's about the market place.

If you're somebody who never makes your purchasing decisions based on ethics, then you're not the person this thread was aimed at. Maybe you don't care if your shoes are made by children in third world sweat shops. I do. Maybe you don't care if the college you attend covers the rape of little boys. I would. Maybe you vote Republican - who knows?

For me this isn't about defending Muslims, it's about standing against bigotry. Maybe you're down with bigotry though. Several years ago, Dr Pepper fired Dr Ruth as a spokesperson because of pressure from some religious group, and I didn't drink another drop of the stuff for several years. To me, this is the same game, just different players.
14-12-2011, 06:10 PM
(14-12-2011 05:54 PM)gamutman Wrote:  
(14-12-2011 11:58 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(14-12-2011 11:53 AM)gamutman Wrote:  
(14-12-2011 11:27 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  They're a privately owned company and do whatever the heck they want. The fact that they may (or may not) be bigoted has nothing to do with the products they sell.

I don't understand why you have to be politically correct in order to effectively sell a consumer product.

I don't agree with the pulling of the ads, but, again, that has absolutely zero to do with the products they sell.

If a sponsor pulled support from NOVA because fundies didn't like their atheist agenda, I bet you'd be singing a different tune. The fact that Lowe's has the legal right to cave-in to bigotry isn't the point. Yes, they had the right. If the issue was that they didn't have the right then I wouldn't be suggesting a boycott, I'd be suggesting that they be sued or brought up on charges.

No, not really. I don't think religion belongs in politics or government. I could care less who sponsors whom or who they support. It has no bearing on consumer products.

Hasty generalizations are dangerous.

Some people stand for what's right. Others don't. That's cool. I don't understand your point about politics or government though. This isn't about either. It's about the market place.

If you're somebody who never makes your purchasing decisions based on ethics, then you're not the person this thread was aimed at. Maybe you don't care if your shoes are made by children in third world sweat shops. I do. Maybe you don't care if the college you attend covers the rape of little boys. I would. Maybe you vote Republican - who knows?

For me this isn't about defending Muslims, it's about standing against bigotry. Maybe you're down with bigotry though. Several years ago, Dr Pepper fired Dr Ruth as a spokesperson because of pressure from some religious group, and I didn't drink another drop of the stuff for several years. To me, this is the same game, just different players.

I stand for what's right for me. For me, it is perfectly right that a private business has the freedom to advertise in whatever program it chooses. I believe they have that right, regardless of whether I agree with their views or not.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
14-12-2011, 06:12 PM
So then you've never made and would never make a purchasing decision based on ethics? If so, that's you're right. If not, then your argument is hypocritical.
14-12-2011, 06:37 PM
(14-12-2011 06:12 PM)gamutman Wrote:  So then you've never made and would never make a purchasing decision based on ethics?
No, not that I can think of.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
14-12-2011, 06:40 PM
(14-12-2011 06:37 PM)sy2502 Wrote:  
(14-12-2011 06:12 PM)gamutman Wrote:  So then you've never made and would never make a purchasing decision based on ethics?
No, not that I can think of.

Me either.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
14-12-2011, 07:22 PM
I'm with gamutman on this. I've often made purchasing decisions based on ethics.

It's the right of anyone providing a product or service to support whatever organizations they like and adopt whatever political, religious, or social philosophy they see fit. It's also my right as a consumer not to add to the profits of individuals or companies whose ethics, or lack of same, I find offensive. So if I have good reason to believe your company
  • promotes religious bigotry
  • supports homophobes
  • trashes the environment
  • mistreats its workers
then I'll find another source for your product or service. It's a time-honored tradition, and I see nothing wrong with it. Mel Gibson shows himself to be an anti-Semitic jerk? Fine, it's his right. But don't expect me to plunk down 12 bucks to see his next flick. There's no way I'm going to add to his coffers, regardless of how good his acting is.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
15-12-2011, 07:13 AM
I boycott reality shows, because they make people stupid. So I see lowes dropping another brain drain show as a good thing. Now if we can get all of them to stop on all of the reality shows then education may survive a little more Smile

Yeah what they did was bigotry. We also have to figure out who made these decisions. The people behind the decision is where you'll find your bigotry source. What do you think the chances are they are christian? Probably high, so I guess we can say that it was expected. I mean c'mon they hate people. Really what's new about that. Not saying it's right but it's not like we haven't been trying to fix that shit already lol

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Clint Barnett's post