Boyfriend's joining military

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Boyfriend's joining military
someone explain to me what active duty is? he turns 18 in February. signs up next week. don't really know what to expect in the long run. ._.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2011, 10:38 AM
RE: Boyfriend's joining military
(10-11-2011 10:33 AM)itsFerdinand Wrote:  someone explain to me what active duty is? he turns 18 in February. signs up next week. don't really know what to expect in the long run. ._.

He will go to basic for a couple weeks, come home for a couple weeks. Leave to over seas or a military base somewhere (wherever he gets stationed). The shortest he will be in the military is 4 years. He will get to visit every now and then.
Find all posts by this user
10-11-2011, 12:30 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2011 03:59 PM by ghostexorcist.)
(10-11-2011 10:33 AM)itsFerdinand Wrote:  someone explain to me what active duty is? he turns 18 in February. signs up next week. don't really know what to expect in the long run. ._.

Active duty is when a person lives on or just outside of a military base and they perform their military duties every single day (sometimes minus the weekend and government holidays) for the extent of their contracts, 3-6 years. They are also on call 24 hours of the day. Reservists do not have to live on a base, and they only have to do their military duty one weekend out of the month for as long as their contract is, which is usually short. When they are not on duty, they hold regular jobs like everyone else.

Whether he stays stateside or goes overseas depends on what MOS he chooses. Combat, engineer, EOD, Logistics, etc. will guarantee that he goes over seas.

(10-11-2011 10:38 AM)DaylightDusk Wrote:  He will go to basic for a couple weeks, come home for a couple weeks. Leave to over seas or a military base somewhere (wherever he gets stationed). The shortest he will be in the military is 4 years. He will get to visit every now and then.

I was in for just over 3 years, and I know some people that were only in for 2. The latter might have been a special promotion at the time that I served, though. I was really pissed that my recruiter didn't tell me about the option.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-11-2011, 03:09 PM
(10-11-2011 10:38 AM)DaylightDusk Wrote:  He will go to basic for a couple weeks, come home for a couple weeks. Leave to over seas or a military base somewhere (wherever he gets stationed). The shortest he will be in the military is 4 years. He will get to visit every now and then.
That depends entirely on the country in which he's enlisting. My partner's basic training lasted for three to four months (can't remember the exact length of time), after which he got to come home for the winter holidays. Then he was posted to a base in Ontario for a year and a half (we're both from B.C. - he was far away from home) before being transferred to a base in Alberta (where we are currently living). Depending on a number of factors, he may or may not be able to push for a posting close to his family. I know that in Canada this is difficult due to the small number of bases and the vast distances between places in general.

As for what active duty means, ghostexorcist summed that up pretty well. Though in Canada, I think reservists work most weekends, but I'm not 100% sure.

Again, as to what you can expect in general depends on which country you live in. In Canada, new soldiers are no longer being sent overseas because we're pulling out of Afghanistan soon and work-up training alone takes about 6-9 months (as far as I can remember). But if you're in the U.S., there's probably a higher chance of him going overseas (depending on whether he goes into a combat trade or not) since they're still in combat roles overseas.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
Find all posts by this user