Boys Expelled From School for Toy Guns at their Home

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
26-09-2013, 01:46 PM
RE: Boys Expelled From School for Toy Guns at their Home
Lol I was in a mock trial in 8th grade and I had to go to the public library and learn how to make a bomb so I could testify as an expert forensic witness....Today the FBI would have been waiting for me when I got home.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Sounds like an excuse to me, they probably wanted to expel the kids for something else but for some reason they couldn't so they use this as an excuse.

Not that it makes it right in any way though

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
26-09-2013, 03:10 PM
(26-09-2013 02:26 PM)nach_in Wrote:  Sounds like an excuse to me, they probably wanted to expel the kids for something else but for some reason they couldn't so they use this as an excuse.

Read the article again. The neighbor called the cops. The school then decided it was grounds for expulsion.

26-09-2013, 03:16 PM
(26-09-2013 03:10 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(26-09-2013 02:26 PM)nach_in Wrote:  Sounds like an excuse to me, they probably wanted to expel the kids for something else but for some reason they couldn't so they use this as an excuse.

Read the article again. The neighbor called the cops. The school then decided it was grounds for expulsion.

they could've take the opportunity, they also said the kids were problematic :/

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
26-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Perhaps. Seems coincidental to me.

26-09-2013, 04:20 PM
School's gonna have to pay a looooot of money for infringing on the right to bear toys!

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
[+] 1 user Likes Caveman's post
26-09-2013, 05:14 PM
Schools are pretty awful for zero tolerance rules. I guess in this case they didn't see zero as low enough; they had to go into negative tolerance by expelling kids for having gun-shaped objects in their own homes.

Dark Light Wrote:When I was a kid we used to bring in toy guns that made laser noises, nerf guns, cap guns and whatever we had to play "army" at recess. No one ever even batted an eye or felt 'uncomfortable' or 'endangered'. It's not as if it was that long ago either. If someone had called the cops on us I suspect the caller may be charged with making false calls to the police.

In elementary school I couldn't even pretend my hand was a gun at recess when playing with friends because the teacher said it was "too violent". That was in the 90s, and it's only gotten worse.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
26-09-2013, 06:10 PM
(26-09-2013 12:34 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It was on CNN last night.
So it depends on what the local laws are. If they didn't try to bring them to school, the school can fuck off. The "in loco parentis" thing is WAY ridiculous.
But if anyone, kid or not, pointed something at me, driving or walking by, I'd get the hell out of there. My question is :"where are their parents ?"
The larger question is regarding "criminalizing" behaviors of children. I feel bad for these kids. Clearly they have no parental/STRUCTURE.
It's the tip of a very sad ice berg. Their whole culture is so fucked up. Put the parents on trial. Oh...no one knows who they are, actually. Shit.

You think kids playing with plastic pellet air guns is a failure on the part of the parents?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
26-09-2013, 06:36 PM
There's lots wrong here.

Zero tolerance as a policy against anything is simplistic, reactionary, and prone to excess and abuse.

Culturally acceptable toys should not be grounds for exclusion from culturally mandatory activities.

I would prefer that weapons and simulated weapons were not culturally acceptable toys.

If a parent wants their child to use weapons, they should get them a weapon, and then teach them to use it responsibly. If, on the other hand, a parent wishes their child to NOT use weapons, don't give them toy weapons. I would much rather see every child trained in responsible use of real weapons, than see any child play with weapon-ish things as toys. Even more than either of those options, I'd prefer that weapons of all kinds were unacceptable in all situations.

The school overreached their authority. Schools shouldn't really have authority, but to the extent they do, they must exercise it responsibly.

Finally, why weren't these kids doing their homework?

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.