Brachiopods in the Phanerozoic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2015, 12:10 PM
Brachiopods in the Phanerozoic
I got bored today, so I made a cool graph. It is a stacked area chart showing the percentage of Brachiopod diversity by different Orders of Brachiopods through the Phanerozoic (I didn't include the Cambrian because sampling is spotty and I only went to the Paleogene, didn't see a need to go any further than that since any younger than that is nearly modern to a paleontologist).

[attachment=2926]

The brachiopods got hit really hard in at the end of the Paleozoic with the Permian-Triassic extinction. You can see that so much in the graph above because it is looking at relative change within the Brachiopods. But you can see that here as the total number of genera of brachiopods is plotted through time: [Image: clambrac.gif]
(the reason for the comparison in that picture with the Clams is that they occupy similar niches to the brachiopods and took over for the niches left vacant after the brachiopods bit the dust at the end of the Permian)

I just like data, so I think it is cool looking. You can see how the Orders have waxed and waned and how different orders have taken over within the brachiopods since the Permian extinction (and keep in mind that brachiopods are only a fraction of their Paleozoic diversity today and towards the end of my graph).

All the data I plotted can be found on the Paleobiology Database. https://paleobiodb.org/navigator/

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
30-08-2015, 08:56 PM
RE: Brachiopods in the Phanerozoic
This is amazing Dude.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
31-08-2015, 06:09 AM
(30-08-2015 08:56 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  This is amazing Dude.

I thought it was pretty Thumbsup

-Rick
31-08-2015, 06:55 AM
I made another pretty set of pictures too, but this is a bit more specific. This is brachiopod order diversity from the Middle Devonian to the Early Carboniferous. At the end of the Devonian (at the end of the Frasnian and the Famennian) was a mass extinction. This is related to my dissertation work.

[attachment=2927]

-Rick
01-09-2015, 11:29 AM
The last graph is actually screwed up (it is the latitude of the locations on Earth now and not paleolatitudes). Attached is paleolatitudinal distribution. Thumbsup

[attachment=2930]

-Rick
25-09-2015, 09:04 PM
As it turns out, I had my bins in the wrong order too. So, this is is brachiopod order diversity by percent order within each bin, and by occurrence within each bin. I have some bivalve data too I'll post in another thread.

[attachment=2954]

[attachment=2953]

-Rick
25-09-2015, 09:09 PM
Very cool. Many thanks. This is why this site is so interesting.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post