Brain-Dead Irish Woman Being Kept On Life Support Because of Pregnancy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2014, 11:11 AM
Brain-Dead Irish Woman Being Kept On Life Support Because of Pregnancy
One thing that pisses me off about politicians here in Ireland, apart from the fact that most of them are toerag wankers, is their reluctance to sort out the abortion issue. There have been a number of cases were mothers have died due to our strict and unclear abortion laws. Now a young woman who is brain dead, is being kept on life support because she is 16 weeks pregnant. This is against wishes of her family who want to have the life support switched off. The government will not hold a referendum on the issue because they don't want to upset / lose the Catholic voters. Arrgggggghhhh!!!.... I need a drink!

http://jezebel.com/brain-dead-irish-woma...1672676783

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2014, 11:52 AM
RE: Brain-Dead Irish Woman Being Kept On Life Support Because of Pregnancy
I think in all cases such as those, the family wishes regardless of what they are, should trump the wishes/agenda of others.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-12-2014, 12:01 PM
Will the government be covering the costs of this?
If the child does survive this to full term, the chances of birth defects must be high. Will the government help the family with these expenses too?
I don't know how this works in Ireland and I'm curious.
18-12-2014, 12:03 PM
I rmember a similar case in germany during the 1990s.

The father insisted his wife be kept alive until the child was born.

The child wasnt born with defects.

But I guess the risk is high.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
18-12-2014, 12:18 PM
(18-12-2014 12:01 PM)pablo Wrote:  Will the government be covering the costs of this?
If the child does survive this to full term, the chances of birth defects must be high. Will the government help the family with these expenses too?

The case will now go to the high court, and the government will cover legal costs etc.... but if the child is born with birth defects, I'm not sure if the government will cover the expenses. The case will go before the courts next week and it will be interesting to see what the legal profession have to say.

18-12-2014, 12:39 PM
(18-12-2014 12:18 PM)Marozz Wrote:  
(18-12-2014 12:01 PM)pablo Wrote:  Will the government be covering the costs of this?

The case will now go to the high court, and the government will cover legal costs etc.... but if the child is born with birth defects, I'm not sure if the government will cover the expenses. The case will go before the courts next week and it will be interesting to see what the legal profession have to say.

What about the costs of keeping the mother alive?
Will her parents (the grandparents) be forced to care for the baby if it lives?
It's like the unborn fetus has more rights than it will ever have after it is born.
18-12-2014, 03:54 PM
(18-12-2014 12:39 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(18-12-2014 12:18 PM)Marozz Wrote:  The case will now go to the high court, and the government will cover legal costs etc.... but if the child is born with birth defects, I'm not sure if the government will cover the expenses. The case will go before the courts next week and it will be interesting to see what the legal profession have to say.

What about the costs of keeping the mother alive?
It's like the unborn fetus has more rights than it will ever have after it is born.

In Ireland we have a "free" health service, so there are no costs to keep the mother alive. The unborn foetus is regarded as a citizen of Ireland and therefore has the same rights as every other citizen of Ireland. The grandparents will not be forced to take care of the child, there are many Catholic agencies willing to intervene and arrange to have the child taken into care.

18-12-2014, 03:57 PM
(18-12-2014 03:54 PM)Marozz Wrote:  
(18-12-2014 12:39 PM)pablo Wrote:  What about the costs of keeping the mother alive?

In Ireland we have a "free" health service, so there are no costs to keep the mother alive. The unborn foetus is regarded as a citizen of Ireland and therefore has the same rights as every other citizen of Ireland. The grandparents will not be forced to take care of the child, there are many Catholic agencies willing to intervene and arrange to have the child taken into care.

Thanks for the info.
18-12-2014, 04:05 PM
there was a similar situation here in the US last year. The parents were both paramedics and very familiar with the effects of trauma and injury, etc. They didnt want life support as a long term thing, etc. And had told friends and family.

IIRC, The woman was found at home, not breathing, no one knew how long she had been down. They rushed her to hospital, tests revealed brain damage, husband decided to let her die, at. the last moment the hospital noticed she was pregnant and wouldnt do it. The husband had to endure a court battle, watching his wife suffer, testing on the baby, etc, just so he could say goodbye and mourn his loss.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
18-12-2014, 04:32 PM
(18-12-2014 11:11 AM)Marozz Wrote:  One thing that pisses me off about politicians here in Ireland, apart from the fact that most of them are toerag wankers, is their reluctance to sort out the abortion issue. There have been a number of cases were mothers have died due to our strict and unclear abortion laws. Now a young woman who is brain dead, is being kept on life support because she is 16 weeks pregnant. This is against wishes of her family who want to have the life support switched off. The government will not hold a referendum on the issue because they don't want to upset / lose the Catholic voters. Arrgggggghhhh!!!.... I need a drink!

http://jezebel.com/brain-dead-irish-woma...1672676783
How would you feel if the situation was closer to full term?