have had an OBE
Lucid dream a lot and have had an OBE
[Show Results]

Brain Games-Lucid dreaming,OBEs & hallucinations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2017, 02:44 PM
Brain Games-Lucid dreaming,OBEs & hallucinations
I'd like to hear from people about their experiences with OBEs & lucid dreaming, and maybe pass on how others have come about having them. Did you need to work at it? Or did it come naturally? Have you done anything really neat or tested the boundaries of what you could do?

And of course any tips to help others give it a try if they want.

But first let me try to give you a little from my experience...

My mother was diagnosed with ALS when I was 11 and I knew she would die within a few years (she died when I was 14, she was 42) my family wasn't religious but I knew that many people believed in a soul and an afterlife, and I really wanted my mom to still be "existing" somewhere so I might see her again. I'd heard about OBEs and "Astral Projections" but I didn't just believe in it because I wanted it to be true...I had to know it was true. So I got 2 books (by Robert Monroe) and started using the techniques he described, to try to have an OBE and thereby prove to myself that I ( and therefore my mom) did have a soul that was separate from the body that might survive after death.

The meditations got me to start lucid dreaming pretty easily but it was probably almost a year by the time I successfully "OBE'ed" .

I started the way I always did, by going to bed and go into regular sleep, having a soft sounding alarm set to wake me up at about 3-4am. The idea is to wake-up but not be "fully" conscious. I would lay on my back on my bed, with no covers, my arms out to the side and my legs slightly apart so that there was as few things in contact with my skin as possible. Then I try to think of my consciousness as a separate thing from my body. My mind is here, my arms, legs... whatever is "over there" (focusing on this type of thinking over and over...), my body is somewhere in the room but not where "I" am, I'd start to feel the effects of the sleep paralysis coming on and then 99 times out of 100 I'd fall into a lucid dream.

But this time I suddenly found myself floating over my body in my room staring down at it and I thought...

"HOLY SHIT I DID IT!"...and then almost immediately..."O FUCK...O FUCK...O FUCK...O FUCK... HAVE I JUST DIED? DID I JUST KILL MYSELF?

...and then I woke up scared as hell, my heart just pounding away, the entire OBE felt like about 5 seconds. It would be a few weeks before I would get the nerve to try again.

Long story short, the next couple of times when I got to OBE I would float down the street and look for a morning newspaper and try to read the headline. The idea being that if I could gain some information from remote viewing that I could not otherwise know, it would be some evidence that I was actually outside my body. I never got a headline right, that's when I figured it was just another ultra realistic lucid dream.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like unsapien's post
28-03-2017, 02:55 PM
RE: Brain Games-Lucid dreaming,OBEs & hallucinations
I have lucid dreams often and most of the time, I can control them. I didn't see that option, so I didn't vote Big Grin For me, I've always been able to do it. I do think yoga and meditation probably have helped even more though. But never had an OBE, I think that's woo, imo.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
28-03-2017, 02:56 PM
The closest I come to that is when I fall asleep in my massage chair and dream that I am weightless and flying. These are wonderful, exhilarating dreams. I just float, sometimes far distances over hills and valleys, sometimes along streets with people walking, sometimes inside large buildings with long hall ways. All of it is extremely pleasant, and I am completely weightless and float. I don't really know if I have a body, apparently that is irrelevant to the dream.

Never thought of it as anything but a dream - it's a dream.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
28-03-2017, 03:00 PM
BTW, you can easily trick your mind into thinking all kinds of things. I think that is what you experienced with your OBE. You didn't actually experience one, it was the power of suggestion that made you think you did.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
28-03-2017, 03:21 PM
(28-03-2017 03:00 PM)jennybee Wrote:  BTW, you can easily trick your mind into thinking all kinds of things. I think that is what you experienced with your OBE. You didn't actually experience one, it was the power of suggestion that made you think you did.

Oh I know it's just a type of lucid dream, but the difference for me is that, when I lucid dream, I know I'm dreaming, and I start playing around, flying, changing things, etc...

But an OBE feels like being a ghost in the real world...it's just different.

The mind is very good at making you see what you want...that's why "miracles" will never impress me even if I was to see one first hand, I'll just assume it's a hallucination or something, it sounds close minded but it's one of the reasons I doubt there is anyway someone could get me to believe in god or the "supernatural" the mind is just too good at making thing up. It's a helluva a trip though.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
28-03-2017, 04:55 PM
I always had random lucid dreams and when I realized at some point (I was maybe 7 or so) that I could control what happens when I know that I am dreaming, I actually wanted to have nightmares. Nightmares were always what got me lucid in my dreams. I would remember the other dreams as well but the ones that were lucid were always the nightmares when I was a kid. I had lots of those so I got good practice controlling my lucid dreams when I was a child.
My grandmother was like that too and I remember my mom telling me that my grandmother had told her once to wait so she could finish her dream. She then fell back to sleep and finished her dream. My mom didn't understand, and still doesn't today, that this is something you can actually do.
When I was in my early 20s I read about astral projections OBEs and that some people can have lucid dreams on purpose. So I looked into that. I had two OBEs and concluded that they are not really OBEs but actually just trippy moments. So OBE I got there from meditation and then getting myself into a trance.
Lucid dreaming, whenever I want to work on getting that controlled, it takes me about a week to be able to trigger it again. And then I can trigger it until I forget that I want to cause the lucid dream. So for me it is a bit of an effort but it is actually fun to see what my brain does.
One technique I found useful for myself is basically to know reality from dream because my lucid dreams are crazy realistic.
So I have a thing that kinda gets me lucid and makes it obvious that I am dreaming. The colour pink. I really fucking hate pink so that is why I chose exactly pink. So some obvious things have to be pink that shouldn't be. So last time I became lucid because I was in a weird situation in the dream but it was kinda real so I challenged my brain. Show me a pink elephant. But instead of the pink elephant suddenly everybody was wearing pink raincoats. I had my little giggle and then played around the way I usually do in my lucid dreams.

I read of people who used lucid dreams for therapeutic reasons. I also read of people who were using it to kinda speak to themselves unfiltered. Because you know how when you try to think about certain things to yourself, some other stuff popps up in your mind and you just can't focus. Well some people use lucid dreams to have that focus to speak to themselves and figure stuff out. I want to try that but I am a little bit scared of what's in the shaddows of my mind and I think that is why it didn't work so far for me.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
28-03-2017, 05:21 PM
I had to get answers when I was going through these things almost on a nightly basis. I also read Robert Monroe's book "Journeys out of the body."
He also has other books and put out some youtube videos before he died.

If I were to explain what I think this is all about, you won't believe me because you would write it off as a lucid dream or an hallucination. If you really want to go for a ride, let the feeling go and you may go up the cord to the next plane. That plane is difficult to describe just what it is. It's kind of like breaking the sound barrier.
[+] 1 user Likes Jack Hammer's post
28-03-2017, 05:28 PM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2017 05:31 PM by GirlyMan.)
(28-03-2017 03:21 PM)unsapien Wrote:  But an OBE feels like being a ghost in the real world...it's just different.

I've experienced it a few times using dissociatives. Perspective was hanging out in the corner of the ceiling and looking down. It's how I know I got a bald spot. Big Grin

(28-03-2017 03:21 PM)unsapien Wrote:  Oh I know it's just a type of lucid dream, but the difference for me is that, when I lucid dream, I know I'm dreaming, and I start playing around, flying, changing things, etc...

I know I'm dreaming too (kinda what lucid dreaming means) but I am unable to affect and manipulate it. More practice maybe.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-03-2017, 05:40 PM
(28-03-2017 02:44 PM)unsapien Wrote:  I'd like to hear from people about their experiences with OBEs & lucid dreaming, and maybe pass on how others have come about having them. Did you need to work at it? Or did it come naturally? Have you done anything really neat or tested the boundaries of what you could do?

I recorded about 500 lucid dreams between 1987 and 1997, when I was inducing them regularly. I was not a natural lucid dreamer like my wife, and found the napping technique the most useful. Here is my account of the closest I ever came to having an OBE type dream:

October 11, 1991
I finally decided I had to wake myself to record the lucid dreams I had been having. I got out of bed and started my tape recorder, but hit the wrong button so that it started to fast forward. After playing with it for a moment, I became lucid. Realizing I was still in bed asleep, I turned and began hitting the sleeping image of myself in bed over the head with my tape recorder, saying, “Wake up, wake up!” I found this rather amusing, then finally swam awake.

Hobo
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
28-03-2017, 05:44 PM
(28-03-2017 05:40 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  I recorded about 500 lucid dreams between 1987 and 1997, when I was inducing them regularly.

I wonder if lucid dreams interfere with the normal trash removal like amyloid plaque material?

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post