Lucid dream a lot and have had an OBE
[Show Results]

Brain Games-Lucid dreaming,OBEs & hallucinations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2017, 03:17 PM
RE: Brain Games-Lucid dreaming,OBEs & hallucinations
(28-03-2017 05:46 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(28-03-2017 04:55 PM)Leerob Wrote:  One technique I found useful for myself is basically to know reality from dream because my lucid dreams are crazy realistic.

Our theory is that because people regain some of their critical thinking abilities and access to memories when they become lucid, the dream images almost automatically become more realistic as well. That's why some people confuse their lucid dreams with literal OBEs or other paranormal type experiences.

My wife found trying to float in the air a good reality test once she thought she might be dreaming, though even that doesn't always work.

Sleepy
Yes I thought about that too. But here is the thing. Usually it is still that I get lucid when I have a nightmare. Nowadays my nightmares are different and realistic. So when I was a child, I would maybe have someone chase me or something like that. Nowadays I am in a realistic dangerous situation.
For example the last time, that I referred to. I was trying to run away from someone who tried to kill me and somehow I tried to flee by climbing out of the window on to a roof. Because it was so realistic and because I might just be mistaking reality for a dream, I did not jump off the roof to see if I can fly. If I start doing crazy things like that, I will probably start them outside my dreams as well and that is very dangerous. So that is why I chose to have my brain give me clues when I challenge it.
I got the idea after I read of someone who would always have a certain item show up in his dream and then he knew it was a dream. But yea since mine are so ultra realistic that I don't want to put myself in danger of my "testing" when I am awake, I simply do the pink thing. Works just as well and is not dangerous whatsoever.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
29-03-2017, 03:20 PM
(29-03-2017 05:41 AM)unsapien Wrote:  I do sometimes use my lucid dreams to take-out my frustrations after a bad day, my go to tends to be zombie apocalypse-ish, but I do think you have to be careful, this is your mind your playing with after all.
Actually you are not the first one to say something of this type to me. My husband got worried once that I might not be able to rest well when I cause myself to dream lucid. Had to explain to him that actually I feel more rested after a lucid dream than after a normal dream.
I like the idea with the zombie stuff and the frustration. I don't think that would help me. When I am frustrated, I deal with it by playing an aggressive game on the computer.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
29-03-2017, 04:01 PM
(28-03-2017 05:44 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I wonder if lucid dreams interfere with the normal trash removal like amyloid plaque material?

I had to google what you were referring to...thanks ...NOT...

I can now add that onto my list of #1001 things that I probably don't have to worry about but now do! Blink

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
29-03-2017, 04:15 PM
(29-03-2017 10:33 AM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  I noticed a large sign next to the door. I decided to see whether I could read with any greater facility while dreaming once I was ALREADY lucid. As I walked over to the sign I thought to myself I probably should be able to read it, since my ability to concentrate was now so much greater than in a normal dream. To my surprise, however, I couldn’t read a single word. I noticed there were even backward letter E’s here and there.

Same with me, I can read short sentences or simple words, like STOP on a stop sign or a 3-4 line sentence like a headline, but even then the words that are strung together often don't make grammatical sense. The part of the brain that handles reading comprehension might be "turned off" during sleep.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
29-03-2017, 04:54 PM
What do you look like in your dreams, I always look I did when I was in my mid-twenties, thin and youthful, never the over-weight 44 yr old I actually am now. Is that because I consider that my "prime" or the "ideal time" of my life?

Also I'm always wearing my glasses in my dreams (I've had glasses since I was 7) my dream "vision" is the same ultra clear vision with or without them but I'm always wearing them. I can start a lucid dream wearing armour, a space suit, or even nothing at all...but the glasses are always there, like my mind considers them a part of my body same as my eyes or hands.

Other things I've tried to do that I've noticed my brain seems to stubbornly cling to, is the idea of where "down" is. It's always toward the ground, but it shouldn't have to be that way in a dream, I've tried concentrating on making "down" in another direction, but I haven't been able to yet. I can walk up walls and float up to the ceiling but the feeling of "down" is always toward the ground.

Then there's breathing underwater, has anyone tried it? I don't recommend it if you have any fears of drowning, first time I did it was scary, maybe even stupid for me to try. But I tried diving underwater and staying under as long as I could, when I dove in I instinctively took a breath and held it...after about 30 seconds underwater I got that feeling of needing to come up for air, a little longer and I was almost into full drowning panic mode. But I kept saying to myself "this isn't real water", eventually the drowning feeling went away, and now my brain is okay with being underwater longer then is naturally possible.

My dreams seems to go by the same rules as the Matrix. You can bend the rules quiet a bit, but you can't always break them.

A friend in the hole

29-03-2017, 05:53 PM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2017 06:16 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(29-03-2017 04:54 PM)unsapien Wrote:  What do you look like in your dreams, I always look I did when I was in my mid-twenties, thin and youthful, never the over-weight 44 yr old I actually am now. Is that because I consider that my "prime" or the "ideal time" of my life?

I've looked like other people in reflections, but most times I just look like myself.

April 7, 1991
I was looking at my face in the bathroom mirror as I was talking. I realized that my lips were not, in fact, keeping up with what I was saying, so I realized I was dreaming. As an experiment, I launched into a song to see if my lips could keep up with what I sang. I found that the visualization of my lips seemed exaggerated, choppy, and out of synchronization—they seemed at times to lag behind what I sang. I made an extra effort, but was unable to produce a better match. I lost lucidity and the dream continued.

August 20, 1991
I was standing in the Columbus living room looking at the mirror. I saw my arms were at my sides in my reflection, when I actually felt them up around my head (probably because of my sleeping position). So I became aware I was sleeping. I was able to visualize rising very slowly into the air, then floating slowly toward the mirror. I was wearing my brown robe and jeans, and my face was my own. I floated through the mirror, and the scene became dark and featureless. Turning back toward the mirror, I saw the reverse side as if it were a rectangle of dim light in the darkness. As I tried to float back through the mirror, I woke.

December 25, 1991
I became lucid and remembered my intent to create the image of a dream mirror so I could perform Ruth’s suggested experiment. I jumped through the ceiling to lose the existing image. To bide my time until the wished for mirror resolved, I occupied my attention with jumping jacks. I thought for a moment I might be waking up, but then I saw a large mirror on the wall at the end of a room, which looked like the living room of the house in Columbus (where I once lived). I looked like myself in the mirror, and was wearing my usual white shirt and jeans, and my red down-vest. I floated toward the mirror, then through it. I looked around on the other side. All was in darkness except for the back of the mirror, which was like a window into the room I had just left. I saw the same image I had just seen a moment before, including my own face looking back at me. I backed away from the reverse side of the mirror while remaining focussed on it. The image behaved like a regular mirror image—my “reflection” receded with my movement. After a bit of difficulty, I was then able to pass back through the mirror and into the original room again. Looking back at the mirror, I saw that my reflection had disappeared, and the room, although still reflected, was missing all of its furnishings. I swam awake after a very brief false awakening.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
29-03-2017, 05:59 PM
(28-03-2017 07:43 PM)Jack Hammer Wrote:  I don't get lucid dreams anymore hardly. I have a question. Have any of you been in a dream knowing while in it that you were dreaming?

> I realize I'm dreaming in about half of the dreams I have.
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
29-03-2017, 06:14 PM
(29-03-2017 05:59 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > I realize I'm dreaming in about half of the dreams I have.

Sounds like you're a natural. I know some dream researchers who would like to get their hands on you.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
29-03-2017, 06:53 PM
(29-03-2017 06:14 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(29-03-2017 05:59 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > I realize I'm dreaming in about half of the dreams I have.

Sounds like you're a natural. I know some dream researchers who would like to get their hands on you.

There was some TV show like this, people could will themselves into other peoples dreams and some dumpy researcher was recruiting them. Can't recall the name, don't care. Plot concept sounded great, show sucked.

#sigh
29-03-2017, 06:56 PM
(29-03-2017 05:59 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(28-03-2017 07:43 PM)Jack Hammer Wrote:  I don't get lucid dreams anymore hardly. I have a question. Have any of you been in a dream knowing while in it that you were dreaming?

> I realize I'm dreaming in about half of the dreams I have.

I can't say that about myself. Maybe only a couple of times. I do remember once when I had a sleep paralysis dream where...after I got there I said, Wow, I'm here.

A few comments...

Some Guru's have said that during an OBE if they stayed out long enough, they've been able to (not sure I'm saying this right) metaphysically transport their body from one location to another. I'm not sure I can believe that. I've also read, maybe from Monroe, that if we stay out long enough we slowly become a bit visible.

I've also read, and this may well be true, that a man while in a third plane OBE was found unresponsive by someone. So they took him to the hospital where he later died. Knowing the man practiced astral projection, and because his body was moved, they believe he was unable to return back into his body and died.