have had an OBE
Lucid dream a lot and have had an OBE
[Show Results]

Brain Games-Lucid dreaming,OBEs & hallucinations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2017, 11:49 AM
RE: Brain Games-Lucid dreaming,OBEs & hallucinations
(20-04-2017 08:27 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Also, when do you actually get the business of sleep done like clearing out all the amyloids plotting your eventual demise?

The way my wife and I figured it, lucid dreaming happens too infrequently to be too disruptive of typical sleep functions. And if she felt tired from too much lucid dreaming, she just slept longer.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
20-04-2017, 11:53 AM
(20-04-2017 08:42 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  It occurred to me that I probably shouldn't sever that chord.

The only time a silver cord appeared in one of my wife's OBEs, she just tore it in two to prove it was just another dream element -- most likely suggested by her reading of OBE literature. She is of course still in the land of the living all these years later.
20-04-2017, 01:06 PM
(20-04-2017 11:53 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(20-04-2017 08:42 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  It occurred to me that I probably shouldn't sever that chord.

The only time a silver cord appeared in one of my wife's OBEs, she just tore it in two to prove it was just another dream element -- most likely suggested by her reading of OBE literature. She is of course still in the land of the living all these years later.

Bitch got balls. Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
20-04-2017, 01:10 PM
(20-04-2017 11:49 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(20-04-2017 08:27 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Also, when do you actually get the business of sleep done like clearing out all the amyloids plotting your eventual demise?

The way my wife and I figured it, lucid dreaming happens too infrequently to be too disruptive of typical sleep functions. And if she felt tired from too much lucid dreaming, she just slept longer.

That's probably right. Do they know when during the sleep cycle lucid dreaming occurs? If it's just in the 90 seconds of REM every 90 minutes then yeah, it ain't gonna intefere with the sanitation department. 90 seconds seems plenty to go through a couple lifetimes at least. Big Grin

#sigh
20-04-2017, 01:48 PM
(20-04-2017 01:10 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-04-2017 11:49 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  The way my wife and I figured it, lucid dreaming happens too infrequently to be too disruptive of typical sleep functions. And if she felt tired from too much lucid dreaming, she just slept longer.

That's probably right. Do they know when during the sleep cycle lucid dreaming occurs? If it's just in the 90 seconds of REM every 90 minutes then yeah, it ain't gonna intefere with the sanitation department. 90 seconds seems plenty to go through a couple lifetimes at least. Big Grin

I know that you have REM cycles throughout sleep but my understanding is that the REM sleep cycles get longer closer to the end of sleep so lucid dreaming becomes easier and more likely to happen in the few hours before morning. I know that's true for me, almost all of my lucid dreams are between about 4am & 6am.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
20-04-2017, 04:28 PM
(20-04-2017 01:48 PM)unsapien Wrote:  I know that you have REM cycles throughout sleep but my understanding is that the REM sleep cycles get longer closer to the end of sleep so lucid dreaming becomes easier and more likely to happen in the few hours before morning. I know that's true for me, almost all of my lucid dreams are between about 4am & 6am.

Yeah, me too -- or later if I happen to sleep later.

Even then, lucid incidents (as we prefer to call them) usually last only a fraction of the total dreaming time, and are highly variable in their level of lucidity as well.
20-04-2017, 05:23 PM
(20-04-2017 01:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-04-2017 11:53 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  The only time a silver cord appeared in one of my wife's OBEs, she just tore it in two to prove it was just another dream element -- most likely suggested by her reading of OBE literature. She is of course still in the land of the living all these years later.

Bitch got balls. Big Grin

In her dream, she was irritated the silver cord had appeared at all since she didn't believe in literal OBEs.
20-04-2017, 06:40 PM
(20-04-2017 05:23 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(20-04-2017 01:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Bitch got balls. Big Grin

In her dream, she was irritated the silver cord had appeared at all since she didn't believe in literal OBEs.

Bitch got balls.

#sigh
20-04-2017, 07:03 PM
Not an expert, but I think due to the fact that I'm an extremely (almost unnaturally) light sleeper, I can easily control my dreams. Whenever I'm about to die or get hurt I consciously (and repeatedly) change it. Don't think I've ever died in a dream. I often dream of tsunamis (I think they're a coping mechanism, but let's not digress), but once I remember turning around and seeing this huge wave/wall of fire, covering the entire horizon and advancing upon us. And then I thought, this is either a dream or I'm about to die, 'cause no way in hell are we outrunning this. Turns out, it *was* a dream Rolleyes

I also never have nightmares, have had only two dreams I can describe as nightmares; plenty of stuff that might sound scary (like, I was a young black guy who had Hitler for a roommate. And was the only one who knew he was evil and wanted to kill me for being black; we ended up chasing each other around the house. Never caught me though, the bastard Dodgy

I've also been a gay guy in a dream and my partner was a lowlife mobster who threatened to torture my family if I left him. So I killed him with the kitchen knife and ran Yes )

My most horrible dreams (haven't had them in decades), though, involved me killing someone, in a very realistic way. The guilt I felt is still the most terrible thing I've ever experienced, bar none. Still makes me shudder.

Yeah, that's not what the OP asked though, is it? But yeah, I can control my dreams quite easily.

(Oh, when I was working at the reception desk of a hotel, I once woke up in the middle of a dream, only to find myself sitting in bed, with my hand outstretched, as if to offer a guest their keys. Apparently, I'd been doing this for a while. No wonder I would wake up more tired than before I went to sleep Dodgy )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
20-04-2017, 08:23 PM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2017 08:40 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(20-04-2017 07:03 PM)Vera Wrote:  My most horrible dreams (haven't had them in decades), though, involved me killing someone, in a very realistic way. The guilt I felt is still the most terrible thing I've ever experienced, bar none. Still makes me shudder.

That's a good example of a nonlucid dream, since you thought it was real until you woke. Incidentally, you shouldn't feel too guilty after you woke since an important part of your brain is turned off when you sleep and dream. In other words, its not the whole you acting in such outlandish ways, but only an impulsive and short-sighted portion of you who is usually caught up in some ridiculous dream situation.

On some occasions when I realized I was dreaming, I actually popped the heads off dream characters to prove I understood they weren't real and didn't symbolize anything. I've also pulled my own head off in a lucid dream, which resulted in the paradoxical vision of my seeing the back of my own head in my hands.