Brain balance Device?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2014, 11:03 PM
RE: Brain balance Device?
(25-09-2014 10:32 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  The only thing I found (and I didn't look very hard at all) was a BrainPort device, but it helps with actual balance issues. Like if you're dizzy and fall down a lot for some reason.

I saw that one too...but I don't think that's it...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-09-2014, 11:10 PM
Nope...

I found it...I'm searching it like its two words...Brain Balance..

No, it's one word BrainBalance

http://www.brainbalance.co.uk/

25-09-2014, 11:12 PM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2014 11:55 PM by Free Thought.)
(25-09-2014 07:05 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Long story short. I've got a good friend, recently diagnosed with bi polar.

(wasn't like any of us who knew her didn't already think it).

Today, over a late lunch she was lamenting that she can't sleep naturally anymore and doesn't want to take a pill...

(ironically the "pill" she supposed to take isn't really for sleeping but her bipolar disorder -- gotta love google)

So she's been using this thing called "brain balance" at first I thought it was a vitamin or something...but she said its a device she wears when she sleeps.

It "works" she said about once a week and a half and was "very expensive".

This to me sounded like a bit of snake oil, but I figured since I don't know I'd ask about it....

Has anyone heard of of this???

Sorry, the only thing I can find related to this is 'Brain Balance", which markets itself as a cure-all for things like Asperger’s, ADD/ADHD and the like and targets parents with special needs children, but I can find no mention for any sort of sleep-device.

I can't find anything like what you describe anywhere, sorry.

EDIT: Oh, cool, it has been found.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
25-09-2014, 11:24 PM
It looks like a Dixie cup on a string. Your supposed to wear it over one eye to quiet your brain.

She wears it before bed.

All the other things they tell you to do probably HAVE NOTHING to do with the effectiveness of the "device" it all makes sense to me now.

25-09-2014, 11:52 PM
(25-09-2014 11:10 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Nope...

So, from what, I can tell; this is most likely bunk.

The central premise of the function is that it "will help you achieve a gentle state of meditation. It does this by slowing down the contradicting chatter between two sides of the brain. It will give you an element of rest from relentless mind chatter."

The page gives no explanation as to what this 'chatter' is, for starters. Is it supposed to be the constant bombardment of stimuli the brain is always receiving? Because the brain deals with that; it filters the information it receives automatically, not like the thing is struggling to cope.

The site claims the 'device' can help with the following:
Quote:Insomnia, Chronic Depression, Chronic Grieving Stress, Chronic Obsessions, Stopping Smoking, Emotional Issues, Relaxation, Anger, Sleep Preperation, Sex Addiction, Relationship Issues, Intrusive Thoughts, Chronic Pain, CExcessive Mind Chatter, Mind Compulsions, Chronic Anxieties, Conflicts, Fixations, Love & Romantic Addictions, Chronic Anger, Rage, Chronic Substance Abuse, Chronic Fatigue, Chronic Grief & Sadness, Chronic Fears, Chronic Over or Underweight Issues, Difficulty Relaxing, Ease Negativity, Sleep Preperation Aide, Chronic Anxiety, Overthinking, Getting Over Love, Fear & Negative Feelings in The Mind

To me, that list just looks like they've compiled everything negative humans might feel and decided 'Yeah, lets go with this'.

Even accepting the site's claim that the 'device' functions similarly to meditation, I doubt it would do anything to most of these issues, most of which might be controlled to some extent by meditation during and persons for a short time afterward but they would not be fixed by such a practise; chronic pain for instance won't go away by putting a plastic cup over one's eye; nor with sex addiction, chronic substance abuse or chronic anxiety.

Not to mention whatever the fuck "Mind compulsions" and "Excessive Mind Chatter" are.
Though I got a good chuckle at the claim that the 'device' will help with chronic weight issues; you have got to be kidding me.

At leas they had the common decency to outright state "it is not a medical device and should not be treated as such" and "... It is important to remember that in many cases there are other issues that are causing your problems."

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
26-09-2014, 07:33 AM
(25-09-2014 11:52 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  The central premise of the function is that it "will help you achieve a gentle state of meditation. It does this by slowing down the contradicting chatter between two sides of the brain. It will give you an element of rest from relentless mind chatter."

OMG, it can do this by placing a cup over one eye? I would really like to see the neurological science behind that claim! LaughatFacepalm

(25-09-2014 11:52 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  At least they had the common decency to outright state "it is not a medical device and should not be treated as such" and "... It is important to remember that in many cases there are other issues that are causing your problems."

Yeah, they better give themselves a disclaimer, the FDA would be breathing down their necks -if they aren't already.

This is the exact way that miraculous healing was sold to people in the church environment I used to be a part of. They boastfully promote anecdotes about how it works, but are never able to provide actual evidence.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
26-09-2014, 07:50 AM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2014 07:54 AM by Mathilda.)

Looks like an eye patch to me. Couldn't she just buy some swimming goggles and paint one side black?

Or better yet go to bed, close both eyes and sleep?
[+] 5 users Like Mathilda's post
26-09-2014, 07:51 AM

The 'evidence' page on that site is obviously using a different definition of the word than I'm used to.

Why is it that every time I see them advising you to "reduce your mind chatter" it comes across as "stop thinking"?
Dodgy

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
26-09-2014, 08:10 AM
(25-09-2014 11:52 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  

So, from what, I can tell; this is most likely bunk.

The central premise of the function is that it "will help you achieve a gentle state of meditation. It does this by slowing down the contradicting chatter between two sides of the brain. It will give you an element of rest from relentless mind chatter."

The page gives no explanation as to what this 'chatter' is, for starters. Is it supposed to be the constant bombardment of stimuli the brain is always receiving? Because the brain deals with that; it filters the information it receives automatically, not like the thing is struggling to cope.

The site claims the 'device' can help with the following:
Quote:Insomnia, Chronic Depression, Chronic Grieving Stress, Chronic Obsessions, Stopping Smoking, Emotional Issues, Relaxation, Anger, Sleep Preperation, Sex Addiction, Relationship Issues, Intrusive Thoughts, Chronic Pain, CExcessive Mind Chatter, Mind Compulsions, Chronic Anxieties, Conflicts, Fixations, Love & Romantic Addictions, Chronic Anger, Rage, Chronic Substance Abuse, Chronic Fatigue, Chronic Grief & Sadness, Chronic Fears, Chronic Over or Underweight Issues, Difficulty Relaxing, Ease Negativity, Sleep Preperation Aide, Chronic Anxiety, Overthinking, Getting Over Love, Fear & Negative Feelings in The Mind

To me, that list just looks like they've compiled everything negative humans might feel and decided 'Yeah, lets go with this'.

Even accepting the site's claim that the 'device' functions similarly to meditation, I doubt it would do anything to most of these issues, most of which might be controlled to some extent by meditation during and persons for a short time afterward but they would not be fixed by such a practise; chronic pain for instance won't go away by putting a plastic cup over one's eye; nor with sex addiction, chronic substance abuse or chronic anxiety.

Not to mention whatever the fuck "Mind compulsions" and "Excessive Mind Chatter" are.
Though I got a good chuckle at the claim that the 'device' will help with chronic weight issues; you have got to be kidding me.

At leas they had the common decency to outright state "it is not a medical device and should not be treated as such" and "... It is important to remember that in many cases there are other issues that are causing your problems."

Honestly, if it helped my friend, I wouldn't give a crap. But it hasn't -- she's been using it for months now and has no real effect.

After finding the page, and reading through the list of things to do in addition to brainbalance. Hmmm

Facepalm

I love the "case study" section. Laughat

They also want donations to do a "proper study" ... Seriously? Their whole page reads like a scam.

My girlfriend really isn't a stupid person. I think she just feels desperate enough to try snake oil in the hopes that it will work.

But what's worse, she's telling everyone she knows about this and claiming that it helps. Facepalm When even if you talk to her, it was pretty damn clear to us at the table it doesn't. Unsure

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
26-09-2014, 08:13 AM
(26-09-2014 07:50 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  

Looks like an eye patch to me. Couldn't she just buy some swimming goggles and paint one side black?

Or better yet go to bed, close both eyes and sleep?

Yeah, just go to the halloween store and get a pirate patch. Or still better, stop calling the medicine that the doctor prescribed for your bi-polar a sleeping pill and take your fucking medicine.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post