Brain balance Device?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2014, 08:33 AM
RE: Brain balance Device?
(25-09-2014 07:33 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  No; haven't heard a thing...
and this is the first thing I thought of when I read your post...
Laugh out load Tongue
[Image: bttf_pdvd_610.jpg?w=584&h=315]

Seriously, though, there's a place that goes by that name in Overland Park not too far from here! I'll PM ya some stuff, but it sounds like BS.

My dad's bipolar best friend took some holistic medication instead of pills (on behest of his girlfriend) and ended up killing himself while he was manic.

Please do something if she doesn't want to take the meds!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-09-2014, 10:07 AM
Her husband right now is in "yes dear" mode but he's watching her.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

26-09-2014, 10:38 AM
The bipolar people I know usually go nearly comatose once a week anyway... So I doubt its the device.

Best thing if she's on a day schedule like most people and doesn't want to medicate would be: low-mid dose of melatonin probably 45mins before bed. No TV, PC, phone, etc at least an hour and half before bed. No more than 8hrs sleep! Wake up and use a light therapy device at breakfast followed by a short walk (they'll also help relieve the potentially groggy melatonin morning). Stay hydrated, even when feeling bummy, cause dehydration is a leading cause of headaches and low energy.

- Not a doctor...
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
26-09-2014, 12:43 PM
The only thing I can think that this device might do is provide more darkness for better sleep. I read and interesting study regarding blind people. Because the brain of blind people aren't exposed to light they make much more melatonin and curiously enough have lower rates of breast cancer so scientists are trying to find out why this happens.

The only other thing I've heard of is called repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS), which actually does work for depression. It's a device that is placed on the head by a trained doctor.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/01...pression/?
_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Here's some more information from John's Hopkins

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/psychiatr...ation/tms/

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
26-09-2014, 01:08 PM
Ya, but this device is worn over just one eye.

26-09-2014, 01:12 PM
The only thing this device would do is block most visual signals to one eye. What the hell does "mind chatter" have to do with visual signals? As if we can't think without seeing. It sounds like mega-woo to me.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
26-09-2014, 01:42 PM
(26-09-2014 01:08 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Ya, but this device is worn over just one eye.

Yeah, I saw your link. It looks totally dumb. The only thing I know of that goes over the head that actually works, and it only works for depression, is that TMS device.

Your friend needs to take her meds. The longer she takes her meds consistently, every day, over many months, the lower a dosage she may be able to take. There is evidence that antipsychotic medications can repair some of the damage done to the brain by the mental illness. The dixie-cup-over-the-eye thing is silly.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
26-09-2014, 08:37 PM
(25-09-2014 07:05 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Long story short. I've got a good friend, recently diagnosed with bi polar.

(wasn't like any of us who knew her didn't already think it).

Today, over a late lunch she was lamenting that she can't sleep naturally anymore and doesn't want to take a pill...

(ironically the "pill" she supposed to take isn't really for sleeping but her bipolar disorder -- gotta love google)

So she's been using this thing called "brain balance" at first I thought it was a vitamin or something...but she said its a device she wears when she sleeps.

It "works" she said about once a week and a half and was "very expensive".

This to me sounded like a bit of snake oil, but I figured since I don't know I'd ask about it....

Has anyone heard of of this???

Sounds like some sorta biofeedback device. My work just created a "Resiliency Center" which offers a stress management program using a biofeedback device. I think I want me some of that shit.

#sigh
26-09-2014, 08:42 PM
(26-09-2014 08:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(25-09-2014 07:05 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Long story short. I've got a good friend, recently diagnosed with bi polar.

(wasn't like any of us who knew her didn't already think it).

Today, over a late lunch she was lamenting that she can't sleep naturally anymore and doesn't want to take a pill...

(ironically the "pill" she supposed to take isn't really for sleeping but her bipolar disorder -- gotta love google)

So she's been using this thing called "brain balance" at first I thought it was a vitamin or something...but she said its a device she wears when she sleeps.

It "works" she said about once a week and a half and was "very expensive".

This to me sounded like a bit of snake oil, but I figured since I don't know I'd ask about it....

Has anyone heard of of this???

Sounds like some sorta biofeedback device. My work just created a "Resiliency Center" which offers a stress management program using a biofeedback device. I think I want me some of that shit.

If she did I would not have an issue.

She wears a Dixie cup on a string over one eye. To balance her brain.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
26-09-2014, 10:03 PM
(26-09-2014 08:42 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  She wears a Dixie cup on a string over one eye. To balance her brain.

Is there a microprocessor anywhere in sight? 'Cause that could work.

#sigh