Brain death- 13 y/o Jahi McMath

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2014, 10:09 AM
RE: Brain death- 13 y/o Jahi McMath
From what I've read, the doctors have been pretty forthright about the situation. And, they certainly did not pull any punches when they ended up before a judge. So, the issue here is not one of false hope or doctors not telling it straight.

Personally, I've been appalled by the posturing of outside groups during all this. Lost in the screaming and rhetoric is the reality that this family has lost their 13 year old daughter. I have 2 sons, aged 10 and 12, and I can only imagine what these poor people are going through. I hope they find the closure they are looking for.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
05-01-2014, 10:37 AM
That poor family - whoever put this nonsense in their head should be barred from practice.

I can only imagine how horrible the letdown will be after they invested everything of themselves into this useless fight. Their child is dead, and that is bad enough. Going through all this additional emotional turmoil - horrible.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
05-01-2014, 11:51 AM
I think they came up with the idea she wasn't dead all on their own. The mother is the big driver behind keeping the girl on a respirator. Others have grabbed onto the cause and I'm sure people are pushing her on for their own agendas, but the family instigated all of this.

They believe they are fighting for the life of their little girl. I think they are just in serious denial but I'm certainly not going to criticize them for it.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
06-01-2014, 02:00 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2014 02:09 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(04-01-2014 09:00 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 10:05 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Brain Dead isnt simply Brain Dead.

It is when there is a loss of oxygenation ( no more flow of oxygen into parts of brain) as a consequence of which the parts of the brain that no longer get oxygen are irreversibly damaged.

There is no such thing as a "universal" braindead that means that a doctor will instantly know what parts of the brain are ruined since brain dead means that certain parts of the brain might still be functioning.

If the entire brain was ruined a person couldnt actualy be kept alive even through machines, because of the vital functions controled by the brainstem. So to make a judgement over this case the details of her condition would have to be released to those making the judgement. And releasing patient data to the public is of course a crime.

But I think it is important for me to underline that I do not question the doctors judgement of the situation.

Braindead is braindead. It's determined by TESTS. MRI's, EEGs etc. No one says a doctor can "instantly know" anything. The determination is made AFTER the testing. The brainstem is obviously functioning, or her heart wouldn't beat, and her kidneys wouldn't function. That in no way means that it is possible for the other parts of her brain to EVER regain their function. They (the family) signed the surgical consent which SAYS there is a (small) risk of these events. They were informed this could happen, and they accepted the risk. There's always an unscrupulous lawyer somewhere who will take advantage of people in this situation. I bet they get her transferred to a nursing home, and California tax payers will pay out the nose for her care, for 50 years.

And .... guess who got transferred to a nursing home today ?
Yup. With plans to insert a feeding tube.
This dead body was carted around, with a critical care team, AFTER the coroner said she was DEAD, and transferred somewhere else, because the anti-abortion crowd and political pressure is STILL trying to redefine what life is.
Creepy. Really creepy.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
06-01-2014, 02:07 PM
I read another one today and I think this one is even worse.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/01/...-pregnant/

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
06-01-2014, 03:29 PM
(05-01-2014 10:09 AM)BnW Wrote:  From what I've read, the doctors have been pretty forthright about the situation. And, they certainly did not pull any punches when they ended up before a judge. So, the issue here is not one of false hope or doctors not telling it straight.

Personally, I've been appalled by the posturing of outside groups during all this. Lost in the screaming and rhetoric is the reality that this family has lost their 13 year old daughter. I have 2 sons, aged 10 and 12, and I can only imagine what these poor people are going through. I hope they find the closure they are looking for.

Just to clarify, I think the docs in this instance were straight forward with the family, but in many times they aren't. They try to be gentle and in the end the family doesn't get the info they need.

The case in TX just makes me ill. Having worked in EMS thru college, nursing homes afterward, a time in nursing school and many, many friends in the medical field (nurses, doctors, techs, ems)….NONE of them want to live that way….NOT A SINGLE ONE.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
06-01-2014, 06:04 PM
Even when its overwhelmingly unlikely that someone will recover, many cowardly doctors say "we dont know" or "it could go either way"... When they could just say "its very unlikely... Blah blah blah". Stop making everything look like a coin toss.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
06-01-2014, 06:10 PM
(06-01-2014 06:04 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Even when its overwhelmingly unlikely that someone will recover, many cowardly doctors say "we dont know" or "it could go either way"... When they could just say "its very unlikely... Blah blah blah". Stop making everything look like a coin toss.

Yeah I like that the doctors said, hey she's dead, and it'd be completely unethical to perform medical procedures on a dead person. I like that the coroner made her a death certificate.

I feel really sad for this family, to be so grief stricken, that they can't accept reality No
06-01-2014, 06:28 PM
(05-01-2014 10:37 AM)Dom Wrote:  That poor family - whoever put this nonsense in their head should be barred from practice.

I can only imagine how horrible the letdown will be after they invested everything of themselves into this useless fight. Their child is dead, and that is bad enough. Going through all this additional emotional turmoil - horrible.

They read a book dismissed hugely the medical community by some quack who said people can "live" even if declared brain dead.

In any event she's been released from the hospital.

And this isnt a case of perssitive vegetative state...like that sheivo person....

This family had to get permission from the coroner because that poor child is gone. I hate that lawyer...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

06-01-2014, 06:29 PM
(06-01-2014 06:04 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Even when its overwhelmingly unlikely that someone will recover, many cowardly doctors say "we dont know" or "it could go either way"... When they could just say "its very unlikely... Blah blah blah". Stop making everything look like a coin toss.

These doctors haven't done that at all. The people the family is listening to is another story.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces