Brain death- 13 y/o Jahi McMath

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2014, 06:50 PM
RE: Brain death- 13 y/o Jahi McMath
(06-01-2014 06:29 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 06:04 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Even when its overwhelmingly unlikely that someone will recover, many cowardly doctors say "we dont know" or "it could go either way"... When they could just say "its very unlikely... Blah blah blah". Stop making everything look like a coin toss.

These doctors haven't done that at all. The people the family is listening to is another story.

It was really just a "that pisses me off" kinda thing, I realized that wasn't the case here... but it was already typed up, so... mehhh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
06-01-2014, 06:52 PM
(06-01-2014 06:50 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 06:29 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  These doctors haven't done that at all. The people the family is listening to is another story.

It was really just a "that pisses me off" kinda thing, I realized that wasn't the case here... but it was already typed up, so... mehhh

Heart

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

04-10-2014, 07:08 PM
Saw that this story was trending on Facebook again, so I decided to check out this recent article claiming Jahi's brain death has been reversing. This article sounds like it is deliberately twisting facts, quotes, to tell a story that isn't true.

They are claiming the girl is now moving her foot and hand at her mother's request.

Quote:On Thursday, Dolan showed video clips to a small group of reporters that he says proves Jahi is still alive. One clip shows her twitching her foot after her mother asks her to move it. Another shows hand movement in apparent response to her mother's commands.

Philip DeFina, chief executive and chief scientific officer of the International Brain Research Foundation, said Jahi has responded to commands many other times.

"There is a consistency to it," said DeFina said.

DeFina also said brain scans showed electrical activity, and other tests showed blood flowing to the brain.

This just sounds like normal muscle twitches that tend to occur in people who are brain dead. I think it is just a coincidence that it occasionally happens when the mother asks her to move like that.

I also think the quote above from the doctor was taken out of context. "There is a consistency to it" says to me that the movements are consistent, while the prompts from mom are likely not. I have to wonder if the doctor went on to explain this, but the reporter left it out (oops Angel ), or is the "chief executive and chief scientific officer of the International Brain Research Foundation" completely bonkers? Or do I just not understand how this works?

And another thing! The brain scans showed electrical activity, and other tests showed blood flowing to the brain. Doesn't that occur naturally in people who are brain dead, and kept on life support? Am I taking crazy pills here, or does this article confirm that this girl is still dead?

Of course the posts on Facebook are all "#GODISGOOD!" Facepalm No

Really sad story, and really sad that people would put out an article like this giving more false hope in this very tragic situation.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
04-10-2014, 07:14 PM
Brain dead bodies are often kept "alive" (as in blood circulation) in order to preserve organs for transplant... This is after death has been declared. I've never heard anyone claim that these are living people. Without life support, the organs would fail and decompose.

In my opinion, a person dies the second that brain activity ceases... Everything else in the body is just there to support consciousness.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-10-2014, 07:23 PM
(04-10-2014 07:14 PM)Sam Wrote:  Brain dead bodies are often kept "alive" (as in blood circulation) in order to preserve organs for transplant... This is after death has been declared. I've never heard anyone claim that these are living people. Without life support, the organs would fail and decompose.

In my opinion, a person dies the second that brain activity ceases... Everything else in the body is just there to support consciousness.

In this case, a girl was having a run of the mill surgical procedure that went wrong. She died, but was revived. The doctors knew right away that her brain was no longer functioning, the only thing keeping her alive was life support, and legally they had to pull the plug and let her go. No hope of recovery. The family couldn't come to terms with it, fought their decision in court, and were allowed to move her to another facility so that she could.... Be kept on life support... And Get better.. Now this article has come out claiming that her brain death is reversing Facepalm

Edit: the girl even has a legal death certificate.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
05-10-2014, 09:55 AM
(04-10-2014 07:08 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Saw that this story was trending on Facebook again, so I decided to check out this recent article claiming Jahi's brain death has been reversing. This article sounds like it is deliberately twisting facts, quotes, to tell a story that isn't true.

They are claiming the girl is now moving her foot and hand at her mother's request.

Quote:On Thursday, Dolan showed video clips to a small group of reporters that he says proves Jahi is still alive. One clip shows her twitching her foot after her mother asks her to move it. Another shows hand movement in apparent response to her mother's commands.

Philip DeFina, chief executive and chief scientific officer of the International Brain Research Foundation, said Jahi has responded to commands many other times.

"There is a consistency to it," said DeFina said.

DeFina also said brain scans showed electrical activity, and other tests showed blood flowing to the brain.

This just sounds like normal muscle twitches that tend to occur in people who are brain dead. I think it is just a coincidence that it occasionally happens when the mother asks her to move like that.

I also think the quote above from the doctor was taken out of context. "There is a consistency to it" says to me that the movements are consistent, while the prompts from mom are likely not. I have to wonder if the doctor went on to explain this, but the reporter left it out (oops Angel ), or is the "chief executive and chief scientific officer of the International Brain Research Foundation" completely bonkers? Or do I just not understand how this works?

And another thing! The brain scans showed electrical activity, and other tests showed blood flowing to the brain. Doesn't that occur naturally in people who are brain dead, and kept on life support? Am I taking crazy pills here, or does this article confirm that this girl is still dead?

Of course the posts on Facebook are all "#GODISGOOD!" Facepalm No

Really sad story, and really sad that people would put out an article like this giving more false hope in this very tragic situation.

A brain dead body can perform some very life like movements... There's one called the Lazarus reflex, which will cause the arms to raise up and fold across the chest. But none of it is conscious movement.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user