Brain surgery

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2017, 08:15 AM
Brain surgery
One of my best friends is in the hospital today. They are not sure what they are looking for, most likely a tumor, or possibly a fungus, at the base of the brain. This thing has eaten a hole into the skull.

His symptoms were a loss of smell and taste, and atypical emotional outbursts. He lost weight very fast (was thin to start with) because - who wants to eat cardboard.

Anyway, they are going in today, they are deconstructing his nose and more to make a straight path to the spot in question. A small part of his brain will be exposed. They plan to clear out whatever they find, using a robot. They will refrain from closing up the hole in the skull. Then, on their way out, they will reconstruct everything. They think that, with proper home care, he will be able to go home the next day.

That's some scary shit! I sure hope I don't lose him, I don't have too many peers left.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2017, 08:20 AM
RE: Brain surgery
*hugs* I hope all goes well with your friend's surgery. Sending warm thoughts your way.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
21-12-2017, 08:23 AM
(((hugs))) I hope everything goes well.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: beb1339cfc76b95693fe0fd59c12ec05.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
21-12-2017, 08:32 AM
(21-12-2017 08:15 AM)Dom Wrote:  One of my best friends is in the hospital today. They are not sure what they are looking for, most likely a tumor, or possibly a fungus, at the base of the brain. This thing has eaten a hole into the skull.

His symptoms were a loss of smell and taste, and atypical emotional outbursts. He lost weight very fast (was thin to start with) because - who wants to eat cardboard.

Anyway, they are going in today, they are deconstructing his nose and more to make a straight path to the spot in question. A small part of his brain will be exposed. They plan to clear out whatever they find, using a robot. They will refrain from closing up the hole in the skull. Then, on their way out, they will reconstruct everything. They think that, with proper home care, he will be able to go home the next day.

That's some scary shit! I sure hope I don't lose him, I don't have too many peers left.

I wish for your friend to have a speedy recovery.

I sometimes have passionate arguments with myself that almost come to blows.
[+] 1 user Likes Yonadav Kenyon's post
21-12-2017, 08:42 AM
Hug

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
21-12-2017, 08:51 AM
(21-12-2017 08:15 AM)Dom Wrote:  One of my best friends is in the hospital today. They are not sure what they are looking for, most likely a tumor, or possibly a fungus, at the base of the brain. This thing has eaten a hole into the skull.

If he needs cheering up he's set for the perfect comment: "I know I have a brain, I've SEEN IT! How about you?"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
21-12-2017, 10:19 AM
Keep letting your friend know you're there for him. Here's hoping he's in good hands, and that he stays safe through all this!
[+] 1 user Likes Kaneda's post
21-12-2017, 10:24 AM
Wow. I hope your friend recovers and gets back his sense of taste. Does he have family at home to help him in his recovery?

I kinda had a little bit of the lack of taste with my sinus problems. My sense of smell still isn't great. But what an operation your friend is having!. Modern science is amazing.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
21-12-2017, 10:26 AM
Hug
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
21-12-2017, 10:54 AM
(21-12-2017 10:24 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Wow. I hope your friend recovers and gets back his sense of taste. Does he have family at home to help him in his recovery?

I kinda had a little bit of the lack of taste with my sinus problems. My sense of smell still isn't great. But what an operation your friend is having!. Modern science is amazing.

He has everything he needs, his wife and two daughters, one of whom is a physician.

Yes, it's quite the operation, performed at a research and learning hospital with the most advanced equipment and smart physicians. They do one of these a week, but the thing is that you don't know what you find when you get in there. Could be benign, could be nasty. The robotic part is very accurate, so the chances of a nasty tumor spreading are lower.

The nerves for smell and taste are not destroyed yet, they brought these senses back for a short while with antibiotics and steroids. (He used that short time to try to bulk up a bit). So there is a 50% chance he will get the senses back after the operation.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post