Brain vs soul.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
27-01-2017, 01:06 PM
RE: Brain vs soul.
(27-01-2017 12:45 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(27-01-2017 11:34 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There is no evidence for "souls".
None

Since when has philosophy ever needed evidence?

Maybe since they cooked up "metaphysics" to sound all "brainy" and mysterious to the peasants ? Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2017, 01:19 PM
Don't have a soul. Don't want one, either.
27-01-2017, 01:33 PM
My dog has soulful eyes.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
27-01-2017, 01:43 PM
I don't believe in metaphysical or spiritual souls, but I often use the term soul as a metaphorical reference to my true inner-self, that combination of all of my subconscious thoughts and emotions as well as the conscious ones that I do not like to share with anyone but those very, very close to me. I often refer to my GF as my soulmate because of the natural compatibility of our personalities, past experiences, and our souls (as I have defined it). Of course, I am well aware that all these thoughts and emotions originate in and are a function of my physical/material brain. But as a metaphor, its use is very convenient and the point is conveyed fairly well to both atheists and theists alike, even if they disagree on its origin. All that being said, when talking to a theist I will often state with conviction and sometimes feigned regret that I have sold my soul to the devil or the highest bidder, or some similarly ridiculous statement just to see their reactions.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post
27-01-2017, 02:15 PM
(27-01-2017 01:05 PM)KUSA Wrote:  The brain is the interface device for the soul. If the brain gets damaged the soul can not interface properly with the physical realm.

You do realize that I'm the only one laughing with you, right? Big Grin

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
27-01-2017, 04:42 PM
(27-01-2017 01:05 PM)KUSA Wrote:  The brain is the interface device for the soul. If the brain gets damaged the soul can not interface properly with the physical realm.

And the evidence of that is ... ? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-01-2017, 05:29 PM
Brain vs soul.
(27-01-2017 04:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  

And the evidence of that is ... ? Consider

You just have to feel it. Can't you feel it man?
27-01-2017, 05:32 PM
Brain vs soul.
(27-01-2017 02:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

You do realize that I'm the only one laughing with you, right? Big Grin

Because you know me all to well. 😀

I seriously have had Christians explain this to me.
27-01-2017, 06:32 PM
(27-01-2017 11:24 AM)sneroul the thinker Wrote:  I was thinking of what the soul actually is and what functions does it have.
That is the same thing as saying "I am imagining what the soul is and what functions it has." Which is how the concept was conjured in the first place.

Souls, spirits, deities, angels, afterlives, etc., all have in common the fact that they are invisible, and generally claimed to not follow natural law or be part of the natural order (or in other words, "supernatural"). This last claim is a deflection from the fact that they do not emit or absorb electromagnetic energy, gravity, or an other known force, and have never been detected or measured in any way.

IF the soul is supernatural then it's a concept which there is no point in discussing, because anything outside of nature is by definition unknowable and unfalsifiable. If the soul is NOT supernatural then you have to demonstrate that it exists before we can discuss it intelligently.
27-01-2017, 10:13 PM
The soul, as define in a religious context, doesn't exist and an archaic representation of the human mind and its complexities. For better or worse, our mind is nothing else but an emergent property of our brain.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.