Brain vs soul.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
18-03-2017, 10:39 AM
RE: Brain vs soul.
(18-03-2017 10:38 AM)kim Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 10:27 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I wasn't interested in this one from the gitgo. Just doesn't have that je ne sais quoi which makes the others amusing to a point.

Yes, what little there was of this turd, it just didn't have that innate, glossy sheen.

We are disappoint. Undecided

Not worth trying to polish. Too runny.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-03-2017, 10:50 AM
(18-03-2017 10:05 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(16-03-2017 07:18 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Back to Semantics again?
Wiki:
An observer is one who engages in observation or in watching an experiment.
An Iphone does not of it's own self engage in anything. It does not decide to observe unless it is instructed & programmed to do so.
So no No, an Iphone cannot be self aware based on my definition of Self Awareness.

We keep doing this back & forth & you keep ignoring my counter rebuttals.
If I am wrong how am I to learn if you don't address my counter rebuttals?
Can you at least address this one before jumping to another counter argument.
For the sake of good debating if nothing else.

I'm begging you to take the whip & hit me, but all you keep doing is brandishing it very mildly.

Bolding, mine.

Moms,

I kinda lost interest in this one when he changed his definition of 'Awareness' from "Awareness = Having the ability to receive information" to "observer" to evade my iPhone rebuttal.

This is not some who is here to learn. This is deliberate obfuscation.

If you want to use a hammer rather than a whip, I have no objection.

Others may still be enjoying the thrust and parry so they can continue if they choose but as far as I'm concened, it's bedtime for Shane.

Wink

Doubtful. He began to bore me a while ago. I continued out of genuine concern. That said he's managed to waste all of that time, with nothing to show for it. So I for one am done.

The most precious gift one can give is time. Shane deserves no more of mine.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 4 users Like JesseB's post
18-03-2017, 11:00 AM
(18-03-2017 10:50 AM)JesseB Wrote:  The most precious gift one can give is time. Shane deserves no more of mine.

Trolls aren't a bad thing. Some of the most interesting side conversations here are due to trolls. They bring the community together to the town square for discussion in a way few normal members can. They're like the jesters at a party.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-03-2017, 11:42 AM
(18-03-2017 09:23 AM)kim Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 12:22 AM)JesseB Wrote:  Shane... let me ask you a serious question... Are you just trolling? or do you really think this?

Nah, he's a poe.
No one can possibly be this stupid and still feed themselves. Drinking Beverage

No, AShane is a clipper.
He clips words & phrases from dictionaries and encyclopedias, tosses them into a hat and then dumps the hat over to arrange the words in lines.

Kinda sad that he's so resentful of maths & science that he can do nothing but misuse and finally bad-mouth them. He simply can't figure out how to use them correctly in order to express himself - the saddest thing of all.

He has no idea that math & science are simply tools and that all tools come with opperating instructions. Being unfamiliar with and/or ignoring a tool's opperating instructions is a very bad idea.

One day, he's gonna put his eye out. Angel
Where did you get the notion that I am resentful of math & science?
I'm just insistent that we use the logic behind math & science correctly so that we arrive at logical conclusions.
18-03-2017, 11:56 AM
(17-03-2017 11:40 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Why do you think the brain precedes self awareness?
That's just an opinion, it's not a fact.

Don't be stupid. You have not one reason or example of a conscious entity with no brain. It's not opinion. It is a fact.

BTW we can SEE thoughts happening, (and they NEVER happen without a brain), and you have NOT ONE example where it happens.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedur...c-20014301

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
18-03-2017, 11:58 AM
(18-03-2017 11:42 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Where did you get the notion that I am resentful of math & science?
I'm just insistent that we use the logic behind math & science correctly so that we arrive at logical conclusions.

Crickets Crickets Crickets

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
18-03-2017, 12:06 PM
(18-03-2017 11:42 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 09:23 AM)kim Wrote:  Nah, he's a poe.
No one can possibly be this stupid and still feed themselves. Drinking Beverage

No, AShane is a clipper.
He clips words & phrases from dictionaries and encyclopedias, tosses them into a hat and then dumps the hat over to arrange the words in lines.

Kinda sad that he's so resentful of maths & science that he can do nothing but misuse and finally bad-mouth them. He simply can't figure out how to use them correctly in order to express himself - the saddest thing of all.

He has no idea that math & science are simply tools and that all tools come with opperating instructions. Being unfamiliar with and/or ignoring a tool's opperating instructions is a very bad idea.

One day, he's gonna put his eye out. Angel
Where did you get the notion that I am resentful of math & science?

you're conflating so many things it's difficult to separate them. I read your jelly-fish argument and it really falls flat. Jelly-fish aren't self-aware. I'm not even certain they have spatial awareness. You'll have to demonstrate that they are self aware. Many animals have innate drives they don't understand but that doesn't make them self-aware. Reproduction and finding food are innate to jellyfish, and they've evolved protections to ensure they continue. I believe some species of crab will mate with anything, even try to mate with other males because of the innate sexual frenzy they feel. They don't know or possibly care their efforts are futile -- they simply exist to reproduce. They're spatially aware, but lack the ability to care if they mate with a boy or a girl crab.

If you get rid of a queen bee in a hive and replace it with a new one, all the workers follow suit. The bees lack the self-awareness that their queen is replaced -- also a worker bee doesn't one day dream of being queen-- or try to overthrow the hive. it's innate to them to follow.

There is a huge difference between being cognitively aware and having a sense of self-awareness.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-03-2017, 12:19 PM
Worthless poe...
citation:
(15-03-2017 07:59 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I do so love this game Smile Kinda like Chess.

... doesn't play chess.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
18-03-2017, 01:10 PM
The problem here, as with so many I've met before, is that Shane thinks he knows better than anyone else about all the subjects he speaks about.

It's a terrible attitude to have, and unless he drops it, he's never going to learn anything. His choice.

It's a pretty simple test: if you think you know more than all of the greatest scientific minds in the world combined, you're almost certainly wrong.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Robvalue's post
18-03-2017, 01:19 PM
(18-03-2017 01:10 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  It's a pretty simple test: if you think you know more than all of the greatest scientific minds in the world combined, you're almost certainly wrong.

And if you can't even address what they already learned, you are certainly wrong.

Hobo
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post