Brain vs soul.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
18-03-2017, 01:32 PM
RE: Brain vs soul.
(18-03-2017 11:00 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 10:50 AM)JesseB Wrote:  The most precious gift one can give is time. Shane deserves no more of mine.

Trolls aren't a bad thing. Some of the most interesting side conversations here are due to trolls. They bring the community together to the town square for discussion in a way few normal members can. They're like the jesters at a party.

I would generally agree with you, however, It's not fun if he doesn't try. I'm not having any fun, so I'm not gaining anything from continuing. He fails to understand a single point, doesn't modify his position at all, just keeps parroting himself mindlessly. So he's not gaining anything from continuing. Therefor he no longer deserves my time.

Honestly, this may be compelling evidence that not all humans are aware, or self aware......

I'll let you decide.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like JesseB's post
18-03-2017, 01:43 PM
(18-03-2017 09:52 AM)JesseB Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 09:23 AM)kim Wrote:  Nah, he's a poe.
No one can possibly be this stupid and still feed themselves. Drinking Beverage

No, AShane is a clipper.
He clips words & phrases from dictionaries and encyclopedias, tosses them into a hat and then dumps the hat over to arrange the words in lines.

Kinda sad that he's so resentful of maths & science that he can do nothing but misuse and finally bad-mouth them. He simply can't figure out how to use them correctly in order to express himself - the saddest thing of all.

He has no idea that math & science are simply tools and that all tools come with opperating instructions. Being unfamiliar with and/or ignoring a tool's opperating instructions is a very bad idea.

One day, he's gonna put his eye out. Angel

I think you're right. Therefor I'm out. Shane you don't get to waste anymore of my time.
So you brought nothing to the conversation except your unsubstantiated opinions and now your running away.Gasp
The only one wasting people's time here is you.Drinking Beverage
18-03-2017, 01:43 PM
(18-03-2017 01:32 PM)JesseB Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 11:00 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Trolls aren't a bad thing. Some of the most interesting side conversations here are due to trolls. They bring the community together to the town square for discussion in a way few normal members can. They're like the jesters at a party.

I would generally agree with you, however, It's not fun if he doesn't try. I'm not having any fun, so I'm not gaining anything from continuing. He fails to understand a single point, doesn't modify his position at all, just keeps parroting himself mindlessly. So he's not gaining anything from continuing. Therefor he no longer deserves my time.

Honestly, this may be compelling evidence that not all humans are aware, or self aware......

I'll let you decide.

No no. You misunderstand me. You're not supposed to interact with the troll, we're supposed to talk amongst ourselves while the troll is dancing and comment on any extradordinary moves.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-03-2017, 01:44 PM
(18-03-2017 10:05 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(16-03-2017 07:18 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Back to Semantics again?
Wiki:
An observer is one who engages in observation or in watching an experiment.
An Iphone does not of it's own self engage in anything. It does not decide to observe unless it is instructed & programmed to do so.
So no No, an Iphone cannot be self aware based on my definition of Self Awareness.

We keep doing this back & forth & you keep ignoring my counter rebuttals.
If I am wrong how am I to learn if you don't address my counter rebuttals?
Can you at least address this one before jumping to another counter argument.
For the sake of good debating if nothing else.

I'm begging you to take the whip & hit me, but all you keep doing is brandishing it very mildly.

Bolding, mine.

Moms,

I kinda lost interest in this one when he changed his definition of 'Awareness' from "Awareness = Having the ability to receive information" to "observer" to evade my iPhone rebuttal.

This is not some who is here to learn. This is deliberate obfuscation.

If you want to use a hammer rather than a whip, I have no objection.

Others may still be enjoying the thrust and parry so they can continue if they choose but as far as I'm concened, it's bedtime for Shane.

Wink
I'm the most vociferous Atheist here.
Why would she do that Smile
She did hit me with the handle though Dodgy
18-03-2017, 01:55 PM
(18-03-2017 01:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 01:32 PM)JesseB Wrote:  I would generally agree with you, however, It's not fun if he doesn't try. I'm not having any fun, so I'm not gaining anything from continuing. He fails to understand a single point, doesn't modify his position at all, just keeps parroting himself mindlessly. So he's not gaining anything from continuing. Therefor he no longer deserves my time.

I'll let you decide.

No no. You misunderstand me. You're not supposed to interact with the troll, we're supposed to talk amongst ourselves while the troll is dancing and comment on any extradordinary moves.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAHAHAHA HA HA

Thank you for that Smile

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
18-03-2017, 01:58 PM
(18-03-2017 01:43 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 09:52 AM)JesseB Wrote:  I think you're right. Therefor I'm out. Shane you don't get to waste anymore of my time.
So you brought nothing to the conversation except your unsubstantiated opinions and now your running away.Gasp
The only one wasting people's time here is you.Drinking Beverage

Lies and slander. Well done dude. Now kindly piss off.

Big Grin
18-03-2017, 02:08 PM
(18-03-2017 11:56 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(17-03-2017 11:40 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Why do you think the brain precedes self awareness?
That's just an opinion, it's not a fact.

Don't be stupid. You have not one reason or example of a conscious entity with no brain. It's not opinion. It is a fact.

BTW we can SEE thoughts happening, (and they NEVER happen without a brain), and you have NOT ONE example where it happens.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedur...c-20014301
This is all well and good but,
I don't posit that consciousness is exclusive of the brain. I see no reason for it to be exclusive of the brain.
I posit that self awareness is exclusive of the brain.

Self awareness occurs in brainless jelly fishes & near death survivors whose body dies but the brain doesn't.
If self awareness is exclusive of both brain & body then how can we still claim it is a function of the body?
If anything the body is a function of self awareness & not the other way around.
18-03-2017, 02:32 PM
I'm ready ...
[Image: catpizza.jpg]
Let the fun begin.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
18-03-2017, 02:36 PM (This post was last modified: 18-03-2017 02:44 PM by Agnostic Shane.)
(18-03-2017 01:32 PM)JesseB Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 11:00 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Trolls aren't a bad thing. Some of the most interesting side conversations here are due to trolls. They bring the community together to the town square for discussion in a way few normal members can. They're like the jesters at a party.

I'll let you decide.
What point did I fail to understand? Your unsubstantiated opinion? Facepalm
You do not counter argue anything. All you do is state your opinion and claim it to be a fact. Dodgy
A perfect Dunning Kruger

Here are 6 examples of baseless claims you have made:

15-03-2017 "There is no need for self awareness for cells to propagate and grow"
To date: No explanation given as to how this proves life processes precedes self awareness. It is not relevant to the topic & misdirection is a characteristic of trolling

15-03-2017 Memories = the self
To date: No citation, examples or explanation given.
This is not mentioned in any science book or research. dictionary.com says The Self is "a person's essential being that distinguishes them from others" it doesn't say the self is memories. Making up stuff to prove your point is downright dishonest & trollish.

16-03-2017: your word choices betray certain errors in the logical thought process behind your statements
To date: No citation, examples or explanation given. Still waiting for you to show me the "errors in logical thought process". If you found them you are doing a remarkable job of hiding it. Assassinating someone's character with unsubstantiated claims is another example of trolling.

16-03-2017: The brain causes self awareness..... and all that implies.... there is no evidence to suggest otherwise, and lots of evidence that suggests this is true
To date: No citation, examples or explanation given. In fact brainless jelly fishes are self aware. A perfect example of a Poe. A person who writes a parody of a Fundamentalist that is mistaken for the real thing.

16-03-2017: claim's I posit the soul IS as non physical. When have I ever done this?
To date: No citation, examples or explanation given. I only posit the soul (the thing which causes self awareness) has not been found in the Body

17-03-2017: Your argument fails both at Science and Philosophy.
To date: No citation, examples or explanation given. Still waiting for you to show me the "errors in logical thought process". If you found them you are doing a remarkable job of hiding it.

A Trolling Dunning Kruger is what you are Drinking Beverage
18-03-2017, 02:37 PM
(18-03-2017 02:08 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 11:56 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Don't be stupid. You have not one reason or example of a conscious entity with no brain. It's not opinion. It is a fact.

BTW we can SEE thoughts happening, (and they NEVER happen without a brain), and you have NOT ONE example where it happens.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedur...c-20014301
This is all well and good but,
I don't posit that consciousness is exclusive of the brain. I see no reason for it to be exclusive of the brain.
I posit that self awareness is exclusive of the brain.

Self awareness occurs in brainless jelly fishes & near death survivors whose body dies but the brain doesn't.
If self awareness is exclusive of both brain & body then how can we still claim it is a function of the body?
If anything the body is a function of self awareness & not the other way around.

Gather around children.

Now here's an example of one of those rare places Shane actually acknowledges a point!

.....And then fails to understand that point, and continues parroting himself undaunted.

(and for any that are wondering. I'm not engaging him, I'm just making jokes now. At least my jokes are based in facts, provided with evidence! YA!)

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post