Brain vs soul.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
18-03-2017, 03:11 PM
RE: Brain vs soul.
(18-03-2017 03:02 PM)kim Wrote:  You are --> you're. Shy
So there is purpose to you being here. I was beginning to think you were a bit useless in the discussion.
Keep up the good work on grammar policing.
You still have a lot of room for improvement in that field.
Back in the day, Bucky could call me out on every single post.
He's retired now though.
All the best Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-03-2017, 03:27 PM
(18-03-2017 03:04 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 02:54 PM)John Derderian Wrote:  It does if you recognize that "the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world" refers to reality.

Update: Quote marks added for clarity.
Citation?
Did you just pull that out your... (oh your not on my naughty list)
Sorry... I meant to say:
Did you just invent that?
You made a claim to which I am unaware of. Can you please explain how you arrived at that conclusion or point me in the direction of your source of information?
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/reality
reality
noun
mass noun

1The state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them.

If you need help with other words, you'll have to get it elsewhere. My pappy always told me not to waste my time arguing with children or crazy people, and I've since updated the list to include trolls and assholes, although I usually give considerable benefit of the doubt before judging anyone to be either of the latter two. You've given evidence that you fall into more than one of these categories.
[+] 2 users Like John Derderian's post
18-03-2017, 03:34 PM
(18-03-2017 03:08 PM)JesseB Wrote:  I feel like POE may mirror this phenomena, only without the hallucinations. What do you think?

Well, I don't think we can ever be certain. Consider

According to what he has written, he might be hallucinating his own self awareness. Blink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
18-03-2017, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 18-03-2017 03:48 PM by Agnostic Shane.)
(18-03-2017 03:27 PM)John Derderian Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 03:04 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Citation?
Did you just pull that out your... (oh your not on my naughty list)
Sorry... I meant to say:
Did you just invent that?
You made a claim to which I am unaware of. Can you please explain how you arrived at that conclusion or point me in the direction of your source of information?
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/reality
reality
noun
mass noun

1The state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them.

If you need help with other words, you'll have to get it elsewhere. My pappy always told me not to waste my time arguing with children or crazy people, and I've since updated the list to include trolls and assholes, although I usually give considerable benefit of the doubt before judging anyone to be either of the latter two. You've given evidence that you fall into more than one of these categories.
Oh. I thought you were saying something about the physical/natural world IS reality & the none physical/natural world is not.

So actual reality is actual reality. Can't argue with that. Thumbsup

If you said that only the physical/natural world is actual reality could we have had an argument.
I was kinda hoping you would have added something meaningful to the discussion though. Still Actual Reality is Actual Reality & that's that.

Anyway, I'm making a list of people who made claims without any substantiating explanation or citations to back them up in this thread
18-03-2017: "the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world" refers to reality"
To date no explanation has been given. He was asked to show how he concluded that the physical & natural world to be actual reality and all he did was prove that actual reality is actual reality.
18-03-2017, 03:51 PM
I heard something amazing that sounds quite appropriate here.

I got this from Kyle at Secular talk, its not my idea.

It's like telling someone 2+2=4

and they keep responding with, NO you're wrong! I see 2 number 2's if you put them together its obviously 22......

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
18-03-2017, 04:00 PM
(18-03-2017 03:11 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Back in the day, Bucky could call me out on every single post.
He's retired now though.
All the best Thumbsup

No I'm not retired. Just took an LOA. Dodgy

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
18-03-2017, 04:07 PM
(18-03-2017 02:08 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  This is all well and good but,
I don't posit that consciousness is exclusive of the brain. I see no reason for it to be exclusive of the brain.
I posit that self awareness is exclusive of the brain.

Self awareness occurs in brainless jelly fishes & near death survivors whose body dies but the brain doesn't.
If self awareness is exclusive of both brain & body then how can we still claim it is a function of the body?
If anything the body is a function of self awareness & not the other way around.

There is no example you can site where self-awareness is independent of a brain, or is not impaired by disease or death in a brain. You have no evidence that self-awareness occurs in jelly fish. Reflexive actions are not self-awareness. Near death experiences are evidence of nothing except de-saturation of oxygen in brains. You clearly know next to nothing about science. There is not a shred of evidence that the body is a function of anything, (OR unexplained things would be happening all the time, such as cancers being cured by thoughts, and they are not). You're nothing but a woo-monger. There is no instance where "the body dies, but the brain doesn't", but thanks for AGREEING with me about self-awareness being dependent on a brain. Doh. Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
18-03-2017, 04:08 PM
(18-03-2017 04:00 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 03:11 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Back in the day, Bucky could call me out on every single post.
He's retired now though.
All the best Thumbsup

Get's boring without you though.
18-03-2017, 04:11 PM
(18-03-2017 04:07 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 02:08 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  This is all well and good but,
I don't posit that consciousness is exclusive of the brain. I see no reason for it to be exclusive of the brain.
I posit that self awareness is exclusive of the brain.

Self awareness occurs in brainless jelly fishes & near death survivors whose body dies but the brain doesn't.
If self awareness is exclusive of both brain & body then how can we still claim it is a function of the body?
If anything the body is a function of self awareness & not the other way around.

There is no example you can site where self-awareness is independent of a brain, or is not impaired by disease or death in a brain. You have no evidence that self-awareness occurs in jelly fish. Reflexive actions are not self-awareness. Near death experiences are evidence of nothing except de-saturation of oxygen in brains. You clearly know next to nothing about science. There is not a shred of evidence that the body is a function of anything, (OR unexplained things would be happening all the time, such as cancers being cured by thoughts, and they are not). You're nothing but a woo-monger. There is no instance where "the body dies, but the brain doesn't", but thanks for AGREEING with me about self-awareness being dependent on a brain. Doh. Facepalm

He's been told these things multiple times.... Perhaps its not the community that's failing to refute his bad ideas... Perhaps his skull is getting more thick from continued practice and application of flawed logic and bad ideas.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
18-03-2017, 04:23 PM
(18-03-2017 04:00 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
He's retired now though.
All the best Thumbsup

Hi sweet Bucky - been a while.
I assume your life has been as gorgeous as yourself. Wink

Little Agnostic Shame here, has decided it's bare bottomed spanky time and he wants it from you. Shy

Kiss noise.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post