Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
19-03-2017, 08:21 AM
RE: Brain vs soul.
(19-03-2017 06:44 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
Agnostic Shane Wrote:Develop does not mean Start
It means to Grow
More dishonest equivocation.
Undeveloped means rudimentary, incomplete. You have NO EVIDENCE for your garbage, and you know nothing about science. You have not a shred of evidence that self-awareness is independent of totally physical processes that happen when brains are working and healthy.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...ple-brain/
This would be applicable if the articles you posted said anything about UNDEVELOPED self awareness. Drinking Beverage

You are right though. There is dishonest equivocation taking place here, but it's not on my end. Thumbsup

There is a reason I missed you honey. You make me look good. Cool
Gonna hit the Gym for a bit. Chat later sweetie.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2017, 08:41 AM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2017 08:50 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(19-03-2017 08:10 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Self Awareness IS a pre-requisite of life.
The Immortal Worm - Planarian can be cut into 279 pieces and each piece will become a new living organism

They are considered to be alive because:
Life is a characteristic distinguishing physical entities having biological processes, such as signaling and self-sustaining processes, from those that do not, either because such functions have ceased, or because they never had such functions and are classified as inanimate

Yep. Single celled bacterium are self-aware folks. You heard it here first... Dodgy

Congrats AS, you've neutered 'self-aware' into near meaninglessness with your overly broad and inept personal interpretation.

Self-awareness is the capacity for introspection and the ability to recognize oneself as an individual separate from the environment and other individuals. It is not to be confused with consciousness in the sense of qualia. While consciousness is a term given to being aware of one's environment and body and lifestyle, self-awareness is the recognition of that awareness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-awareness

Sweet holy fuck, stop making up your own definitions and acting like we need to adhere to your ad-hoc usage.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 7 users Like EvolutionKills's post
19-03-2017, 08:43 AM
So bacteria have souls now? What's next?

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
19-03-2017, 09:06 AM
(19-03-2017 08:43 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  So bacteria have souls now? What's next?

The same thing they do every night pinky. Try to take over the WORLD! (They're pinky, they're pinky and the brains brains brains brains brains)

You guys rock. However. Every point that has been made in the last like 72 hours is just a new way of saying things that have already been said to him. I mean ya'll are right.... but how many times is it gonna take before it finally sinks in (for him)?

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
19-03-2017, 09:09 AM
(19-03-2017 09:06 AM)JesseB Wrote:  The same thing they do every night pinky. Try to take over the WORLD! (They're pinky, they're pinky and the brains brains brains brains brains)

[Image: keep-calm-and-try-to-take-over-the-world-53.png]

[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
19-03-2017, 09:12 AM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2017 09:39 AM by GirlyMan.)
(19-03-2017 08:41 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Yep. Single celled bacterium are self-aware folks. You heard it here first... Dodgy

You guys want to see what Deepak Chopra looks like with a day job doing advanced stem cell research? What am I saying? Of course you do. Who wouldn't?

"Just a short time ago, I crossed the causeway of the small island I call home. The pond was dark and still. I stopped and turned off my flashlight. Several strange glowing objects caught my attention on the side of the road. I thought they were some of those jack-o’- lantern mushrooms, Clitocybe illudens, whose luminescent caps had just started to push up through the decaying leaves. I squatted down to observe one of them with my flashlight. It turned out to be a glowworm, the luminous larvae of the European beetle Lampyris noctiluca. There was a primitiveness in its little segmented oval body, like some trilobite that had just crawled out of the Cambrian sea 500 million years ago. There we were, the beetle and I, two living objects that had entered into each other’s worlds, and yet were fundamentally linked together all along. It ceased emitting its greenish light and I, for my part, turned off my flashlight. I wondered if our little interaction was any different from that of any other two objects in the universe. Was this primitive little grub just another collection of atoms—proteins and molecules spinning like planets around the sun? Could it be grasped by a mechanist’s logic? It is true that the laws of physics and chemistry can tackle the rudimentary biology of living systems, and as a medical doctor I can recite in detail the chemical foundations and cellular organization of animal cells: oxidation, biophysical metabolism, all the carbohydrates, lipids, and amino acid patterns. But there was more to this luminous little bug than the sum of its biochemical functions.
Although the beetle stayed quiescent there in the darkness, it had little walking legs, neatly lined up under its segmented body, and possessed sensory cells that transmitted messages to the cells in its brain. Perhaps the creature was too primitive to collect data and pinpoint my location in space. Maybe my existence in its universe was limited to some huge and hairy shadow stabilizing a flashlight in the air. I do not know. But as I stood up and left, I no doubt dispersed into the haze of probability surrounding the glowworm’s little world."

It is a sign of the intrinsic unfairness of life that Lanza is a rich bitch eating exotic foods like glowworm tartare while Cantor struggles to just fund a little corner church.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
19-03-2017, 09:15 AM
(19-03-2017 09:12 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(19-03-2017 08:41 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Yep. Single celled bacterium are self-aware folks. You heard it here first... Dodgy

You guys want to see what Deepak Chopra looks like with a day job doing advanced stem cell research? What am I saying? Of course you do. Who wouldn't?

"Just a short time ago, I crossed the causeway of the small island I call home. The pond was dark and still. I stopped and turned off my flashlight. Several strange glowing objects caught my attention on the side of the road. I thought they were some of those jack-o’- lantern mushrooms, Clitocybe illudens, whose luminescent caps had just started to push up through the decaying leaves. I squatted down to observe one of them with my flashlight. It turned out to be a glowworm, the luminous larvae of the European beetle Lampyris noctiluca. There was a primitiveness in its little segmented oval body, like some trilobite that had just crawled out of the Cambrian sea 500 million years ago. There we were, the beetle and I, two living objects that had entered into each other’s worlds, and yet were fundamentally linked together all along. It ceased emitting its greenish
light and I, for my part, turned off my flashlight. I wondered if our little interaction was any different from that of any other two objects in the universe. Was this primitive little grub just another collection of atoms—proteins and molecules spinning like planets around the sun? Could it be grasped by a mechanist’s
logic? It is true that the laws of physics and chemistry can tackle the rudimentary biology of living systems, and as a medical doctor I can recite in detail the chemical foundations and cellular organization of animal cells: oxidation, biophysical metabolism, all the carbohydrates, lipids, and amino acid patterns. But there was more to this luminous little bug than the sum of its biochemical functions.
Although the beetle stayed quiescent there in the darkness, it had little walking legs, neatly lined up under its segmented body, and possessed sensory cells that transmitted messages to the cells in its brain. Perhaps the creature was too primitive to collect data and pinpoint my location in space. Maybe my existence in its universe was limited to some huge and hairy shadow stabilizing a flashlight in the air. I do not know. But as I stood up and left, I no doubt dispersed into the haze of probability surrounding the glowworm’s little world."

It is a sign of the intrinsic unfairness of life that Lanza is a rich bitch eating fried glow worms for breakfast while Cantor struggles to fund just a little corner church.

*reads the book cover blurb*

"Original and exciting" - Deepak Chopra

*tosses book onto kindling pile*

[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
19-03-2017, 09:35 AM
(19-03-2017 09:15 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(19-03-2017 09:12 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You guys want to see what Deepak Chopra looks like with a day job doing advanced stem cell research? What am I saying? Of course you do. Who wouldn't?
It is a sign of the intrinsic unfairness of life that Lanza is a rich bitch eating fried glow worms for breakfast while Cantor struggles to fund just a little corner church.

*reads the book cover blurb*

"Original and exciting" - Deepak Chopra

*tosses book onto kindling pile*

Meanwhile, in Physical Review Letters, he seems to express an entirely different opinion on the matter.

Measurements are reported of the cross-correlation of spectra of differential position signals from the Fermilab Holometer, a pair of colocated 39 m long, high power Michelson interferometers with flat broadband frequency response in the MHz range. The instrument obtains sensitivity to high frequency correlated signals far exceeding any previous measurement in a broad frequency band extending beyond the 3.8 MHz inverse light-crossing time of the apparatus. The dominant but uncorrelated shot noise is averaged down over 2×10^8 independent spectral measurements with 381 Hz frequency resolution to obtain 2.1×10^−20m/√Hz sensitivity to stationary signals. For signal bandwidths Δf >11kHz, the sensitivity to strain h or shear power spectral density of classical or exotic origin surpasses a milestone PSD δh<tp where tp=5.39×10^−44/Hz is the Planck time.

What is one to make of these seemingly contradictory statements? Consider

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
19-03-2017, 10:09 AM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2017 10:30 AM by kim.)
(19-03-2017 09:35 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What is one to make of these seemingly contradictory statements? Consider

Well, this one considers Chopra to be (a bit) (overly) full of shit. Shy

Sorry, hope I'm not contradictory there. Shy

He is completely full of shit.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
19-03-2017, 10:17 AM
(19-03-2017 09:35 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Measurements are reported of the cross-correlation of spectra of differential position signals from the Fermilab Holometer, a pair of colocated 39 m long, high power Michelson interferometers with flat broadband frequency response in the MHz range. The instrument obtains sensitivity to high frequency correlated signals far exceeding any previous measurement in a broad frequency band extending beyond the 3.8 MHz inverse light-crossing time of the apparatus. The dominant but uncorrelated shot noise is averaged down over 2×10^8 independent spectral measurements with 381 Hz frequency resolution to obtain 2.1×10^−20m/√Hz sensitivity to stationary signals. For signal bandwidths Δf >11kHz, the sensitivity to strain h or shear power spectral density of classical or exotic origin surpasses a milestone PSD δh<tp where tp=5.39×10^−44/Hz is the Planck time.

Yeah, that makes sense. Although I think there should've been a comma after the phrase "a broad frequency band" in the second line.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.