Brand new

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Brand new
Hi everyone,

I'm brand new here Smile I live in the intersection of the midwest and the south, and am in the midst of what I would call a 'spiritual'/philosophical journey (for lack of a better term).

I found my way to this forum by way of Seth's podcast, which I came across while looking for atheist/skeptic podcasts. I'm currently reading atheist books and websites to get a handle on what atheists/skeptics think, on every subject from Jesus to science. I would still call myself, though the ideas that atheists raise about the existence of God, prayer, etc. honestly make more sense to me at this point. I have been working through this strictly by myself (though what Seth has said about the need for community kinda led me here). I wouldn't dream of telling friends, family, even coworkers and causal acquaintances, right now about what I'm going through and thinking about.

The reason I'm here as opposed to any other forum is that Seth and I share similar Christian backgrounds - including exposure to 80s and 90s Christian music (me strictly as a fan), and that really resonated with me.

We'll see how things go here. That said, I am right now reluctant to share much more of my personal life in an open forum like this. It almost makes me wish there was a Clergy Project for former/current church members, including those wrestling with the consequences of coming to realize that atheism might be the only real option out there Smile

No offense to this forum - I'm sure it's a good place, and that it has good people involved on it. Looking forward to checking out the various threads and subthreads, and interaction with the people here.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like BrianD's post
22-08-2012, 05:20 PM
RE: Brand new
I hope you find the community you are looking for here.

Welcome!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
22-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Welcome!

You only need to be scared of our Four Grumpy Old Horsemen of the Apocalypse: Erxomai, GirlyMan, Chas, and Mr Woof. Or, the 4 GOHOTA's.

Beware... they can be ornery.

[Image: RHcn6pd.gif]
22-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Brand new
Someone called?

Hey, Brian, it's nice to have someone here with that brand new car smell.

There are a lot of threads here dealing with recovering from religion, but if you really desire that sort of thing, specifically, there is a Recovering From Religion Forum (probably of they name.com). I joined there and the clergy project about the same time I joined here and I just happened to find more community here than either of those places so I'm not recommending them, just affirming they exist.

Snoop around some threads, start some of your own and jump in and let us know what your questions and insights are.

Welcome!

(That wasn't too grumpy was it?) Dodgy

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
22-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Welcome to the forums.

22-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Welcome. We don't bite. Much.Dodgy

I will admit to orneriness, but only when provoked.Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Chas is really just a big teddy bear with sharp teeth.
22-08-2012, 06:17 PM
(22-08-2012 06:14 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Chas is really just a big teddy bear with sharp teeth.

And claws.

22-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Welcome!

[Image: g8g7t.jpg]
22-08-2012, 06:22 PM
(22-08-2012 06:17 PM)Ghost0fBanquo Wrote:  Welcome!

I just noticed your avatar.

We match!