Brazil: Zika Battle May Change Position On Allowing Abortion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2016, 02:22 PM
Brazil: Zika Battle May Change Position On Allowing Abortion
http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/...li=BBnb7Kz

"RECIFE, Brazil — The surging medical reports of babies being born with unusually small heads during the Zika epidemic in Brazil are igniting a fierce debate over the country’s abortion laws, which make the procedure illegal under most circumstances.

Prominent legal scholars in Brasília, the capital, are preparing a case to go before Brazil’s highest court, arguing that pregnant women should be able to have abortions when their fetuses are found to have abnormally small heads, a condition known as microcephaly that Brazilian researchers say is linked to the virus.

A judge in central Brazil has taken the rare step of publicly proclaiming that he will allow women to have legal abortions in cases of microcephaly, preparing the way for a fight over the issue in parts of the country’s labyrinthine legal system.

And here in Recife, the Brazilian city hit hardest by the increase in babies born with microcephaly and the brain damage that often comes with it, abortion rights activists are seizing on the crisis to push back against conservative lawmakers who want to make Brazil’s abortion laws — already among the most stringent in Latin America — more restrictive."

So what they are going to do is push the envelope for allowing abortions by pointing out women won't be responsible for the care of these sick and damaged babies but the government will have to be, so change the restriction. Figures, it's okay to burden women but not the government.

Anyway, I hope it works. Any progress is progress.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Heatheness's post
03-02-2016, 02:51 PM
RE: Brazil: Zika Battle May Change Position On Allowing Abortion
That Jebus. He's a tricky designer. He was just trying to make 'em cuter.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
03-02-2016, 03:19 PM
It's sad that there is need of such crisis to give women not even right but chance to have a right to decide about their own body. But church care only about potential little believers and that's why abortion is called murder priests interested only in money, but neither women nor fate of children.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
04-02-2016, 07:57 PM
If enough kids have brain damage from the virus, the church stands to lose money. Can't have that. Rolleyes

Mosquitoes are the scourge of the earth.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
05-02-2016, 04:49 PM
The church had no choice, unless they wanted to provoke the ire of more people than they can deal with. It's disappointing that it takes such a crisis for a topic like abortion to enter discussion without being swatted by law without an option for argument.
[+] 1 user Likes Naridar's post
05-02-2016, 05:00 PM
(04-02-2016 07:57 PM)Fireball Wrote:  If enough kids have brain damage from the virus, the church stands to lose money. Can't have that. Rolleyes

Mosquitoes are the scourge of the earth.

Mosquitoes are convincing evidence that a loving god does not exist. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
07-02-2016, 01:19 PM
Mosquito-borne diseases are the leading cause of death worldwide. Disgusting blood suckers. I got infected with West Nile virus from mosquitoes about 5 years ago. Fortunately, the symptoms were fairly mild, in my case. Bad enough to send me to the doctor for verification, though. One can only get symptomatic relief, since it is a virus.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
07-02-2016, 01:28 PM
One would think this would be a no brainer.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
07-02-2016, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2016 05:15 PM by Banjo.)
One never knew Duke was about Brasil's future laws and viruses???

[Image: cover_421372112008.JPG]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
07-02-2016, 05:13 PM
(07-02-2016 01:19 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Mosquito-borne diseases are the leading cause of death worldwide. Disgusting blood suckers. I got infected with West Nile virus from mosquitoes about 5 years ago. Fortunately, the symptoms were fairly mild, in my case. Bad enough to send me to the doctor for verification, though. One can only get symptomatic relief, since it is a virus.

I don't much like mosquitos. I got malaria in Africa many years ago but fortunately, it was a mild strain of malaria. I still didn't like it and it hung on for several years.
[+] 2 users Like Black Eagle's post