Breadfeeding in public.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2015, 12:14 PM
RE: Breadfeeding in public.
(08-04-2015 11:59 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(08-04-2015 11:01 AM)Judi Lynn Wrote:  I respect your opinion, but here is the counter argument:
1. Adults don't eat with a blanket over their heads. Why should babies?
2. Comparing defecating, urination and sex to breastfeeding isn't a fair comparison to make. Naturally and logically, we have bathrooms for relieving oneself and we have bedrooms and private places for sex. However, we have tables and sometimes couches for eating. Eating can be considered a social event because it can be done with friends and family, of all ages. Going to the bathroom is not a family event. Unless you are by yourself and have little ones in two, you don't drag your spouse or your friends to the bathroom to interact while you are relieving yourself. *note.... ladies night out is excluded from this argument since it can be shown that women go to the bathroom in pairs of two or more because they aren't willing to stop the conversation so that a friend can pee. lol
3. Why should a breastfeeding mother have to cover up her feeding child - especially on a hot day? Some babies do not like to be covered up. Mine didn't. So I didn't force her to be covered up as it can prevent a baby from getting all they need out of each feeding.
4. The breast tissue that is actually exposed during breastfeeding is far less than some scantily clad woman strolling across the beach with her thong bikini exposing 95% of her back side and bikini top only covering a 2 or 3 square inch section surrounding her nipples. If this sort of "nudity" is acceptable to "society" then a mother breastfeeding her child, where you see less breast tissue, should not be frowned upon.
5. Breastfeeding mothers should not have to cover up or compromise their comfort and the comfort of the feeding child so that society can be comfortable with it.
6. If people don't like it - they can stare at something else. Actually, staring is rude so they shouldn't be staring anyway.
7. A nursing mother, in public, should not have to get up from the table she is seated at, grab her child and diaper bag, find a quiet place to nurse (and hope that it's not a dirty, unsanitary bathroom stall), only to come back to a cold plate of food.
8. If done correctly and discreetly (not covering up) no one even notices a baby is feeding. It just looks like a mother cradling her child. She's not holding up signs with bright flashing lights says "Look at me!!! I'm breastfeeding my baby!!" Mom can continue doing what she was doing before her child started eating.

I don't care to argue over this, but I'll respond out of courtesy.

1. Because adults don't eat by sucking the fluid out of another human beings glands.
2. The point is that although these functions are all necessary, we've made some decisions as a culture as to which functions are private and which are appropriate in public. Additionally we've come to the conclusion that public nudity or indecent exposure are usually unlawful behaviors. If you can make the argument that "this particular display of nudity is okay because my baby needs to eat, it's natural", then I see another fair argument being, "this display of nudity is okay because I need to pee, it's natural."
3. From what I understand there are varieties of covers that could easily accommodate a hot day. As for a baby's preference, I can't speak to that. To me that sounds like something you'd just have to deal with.
4. Yes, and establishments could just as easily tell those bikini clad ladies that they aren't in appropriate attire to do business here. it's up to the owner. And there is in principle, a difference in wearing clothes that are intentionally revealing, and in the action of pulling off a portion of your clothing to expose body parts that would classify as public nudity, and then covering those parts with a baby's face. And for the record, I personally don't mind seeing breasts in any which way (although, like I said, distracting). I just find it disrespectful to assume that everybody is okay with it. And I find it distasteful to say that a business' policies are infringing upon your ability to feed your child when you clearly have acceptable alternatives.
5. So the individual is more important than everybody else? I don't see that. If we are going to live in a society that means we can't do whatever we want. We follow the standards, laws, rules, and morals of where we live. And if not those, then "common" courtesy.
6. Same response as 5. I could make a similar argument about my right to aggressively make out and fondle my gf in public. Hell, I'm not hurting anybody!! Just look away if it makes you uncomfortable.
7. Then don't get up. Just use a modest cover while in an establishment that requests/requires it.
8. Not that this counts as evidence, but I've never not noticed what was going on during a breastfeeding (not just referring to covers or not, but the entirety of the activity). I just never say anything or make it apparent that I notice. I consider that to be the courteous thing to do.

[Image: monica-nursing-in-public.jpg]

Exactly how much breast is exposed here?

Actually the most beautiful thing was look of my son's eyes starting up at me as he nursed.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
08-04-2015, 12:17 PM
(08-04-2015 12:14 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  [Image: monica-nursing-in-public.jpg]

Actually the most beautiful thing was look of my son's eyes starting up at me as he nursed.
I don't think the point of my post was clear if you think I'd have some problem with this picture.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
08-04-2015, 12:21 PM
(08-04-2015 12:14 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Actually the most beautiful thing was look of my son's eyes starting up at me as he nursed.

Pffft. Ask my mom about twins!

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
08-04-2015, 12:23 PM
(08-04-2015 12:14 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Exactly how much breast is exposed here?

That you?

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
08-04-2015, 12:24 PM
(08-04-2015 12:17 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(08-04-2015 12:14 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  [Image: monica-nursing-in-public.jpg]

I don't think the point of my post was clear if you think I'd have some problem with this picture.

No; your totally valid point was that there are always going to be some standards for public decency.

Except part of being well past the median opinion is that you're going to have to suck it up - and that that goes both ways.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what the median public opinion in any given jurisdiction is, nor the extent to which any given suite of laws and regulations actually tracks to it.

08-04-2015, 12:28 PM
(08-04-2015 12:24 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Disclaimer: I have no idea what the median public opinion in any given jurisdiction is, nor the extent to which any given suite of laws and regulations actually tracks to it.

The funny thought is that by definition, the median public opinion on any issue is actually some guy or gal somewhere Tongue

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
[+] 1 user Likes Alex K's post
08-04-2015, 12:39 PM
(08-04-2015 12:28 PM)Alex K Wrote:  
(08-04-2015 12:24 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Disclaimer: I have no idea what the median public opinion in any given jurisdiction is, nor the extent to which any given suite of laws and regulations actually tracks to it.

The funny thought is that by definition, the median public opinion on any issue is actually some guy or gal somewhere Tongue

But of course. Why do you think I didn't just say "average"?
Big Grin

But the difference isn't significant in any case, assuming a normal statistical distribution of differences of opinion... Although that does assume issues are abstracted as low-dimension spectra - which though true to a surprising extent given how opinions are neurologically rooted and tend to correlate, isn't necessarily so.

The fun part is that if we could find that median person, we could just deputise them to pick the government, and (under a representative system), the result would be exactly the same as if everybody voted.

08-04-2015, 12:44 PM
(08-04-2015 12:39 PM)cjlr Wrote:  The fun part is that if we could find that median person, we could just deputise them to pick the government, and (under a representative system), the result would be exactly the same as if everybody voted.

There's a hilarious German TV skit from the 70s where they supposedly invited the median voter into the studio to ask politicians of the major parties some questions. Too bad you can't understand it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY4XkU3uBuQ

08-04-2015, 12:59 PM
[Image: breastfeeding-rocks1_zps2dfwqius.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
08-04-2015, 01:12 PM
(08-04-2015 12:21 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(08-04-2015 12:14 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Actually the most beautiful thing was look of my son's eyes starting up at me as he nursed.

Pffft. Ask my mom about twins!

My best girlfriend had triplets! Talk about trouble at feeding time!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces