Breadfeeding in public.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2015, 01:25 PM
RE: Breadfeeding in public.
(08-04-2015 01:12 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(08-04-2015 12:21 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Pffft. Ask my mom about twins!

My best girlfriend had triplets! Talk about trouble at feeding time!

[Image: article-2174916-14197BAC000005DC-985_634x542.jpg]

Best thing about that image is that it's hosted on the daily mail's site, one of the places on the Internet that'd probably be most against breast feeding.

[Image: oie_9101658pvlrOK2Z_zpsd5fb1967.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Fidel_Castronaut's post
08-04-2015, 01:36 PM
I guess the oddest thing about my friend's triplets is that they each have three different birthdays. Two of them are identical and one was fraternal.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

08-04-2015, 01:42 PM
(08-04-2015 11:59 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  I don't care to argue over this, but I'll respond out of courtesy.

1. Because adults don't eat by sucking the fluid out of another human beings glands.
2. The point is that although these functions are all necessary, we've made some decisions as a culture as to which functions are private and which are appropriate in public. Additionally we've come to the conclusion that public nudity or indecent exposure are usually unlawful behaviors. If you can make the argument that "this particular display of nudity is okay because my baby needs to eat, it's natural", then I see another fair argument being, "this display of nudity is okay because I need to pee, it's natural."
3. From what I understand there are varieties of covers that could easily accommodate a hot day. As for a baby's preference, I can't speak to that. To me that sounds like something you'd just have to deal with.
4. Yes, and establishments could just as easily tell those bikini clad ladies that they aren't in appropriate attire to do business here. it's up to the owner. And there is in principle, a difference in wearing clothes that are intentionally revealing, and in the action of pulling off a portion of your clothing to expose body parts that would classify as public nudity, and then covering those parts with a baby's face. And for the record, I personally don't mind seeing breasts in any which way (although, like I said, distracting). I just find it disrespectful to assume that everybody is okay with it. And I find it distasteful to say that a business' policies are infringing upon your ability to feed your child when you clearly have acceptable alternatives.
5. So the individual is more important than everybody else? I don't see that. If we are going to live in a society that means we can't do whatever we want. We follow the standards, laws, rules, and morals of where we live. And if not those, then "common" courtesy.
6. Same response as 5. I could make a similar argument about my right to aggressively make out and fondle my gf in public. Hell, I'm not hurting anybody!! Just look away if it makes you uncomfortable.
7. Then don't get up. Just use a modest cover while in an establishment that requests/requires it.
8. Not that this counts as evidence, but I've never not noticed what was going on during a breastfeeding (not just referring to covers or not, but the entirety of the activity). I just never say anything or make it apparent that I notice. I consider that to be the courteous thing to do.

I wasn't trying to argue with you. I was merely going over the points that I saw needed a response. So I guess I'll rebut with:

1. That's irrelevant. ALL people need to eat regardless of how they get their nutrients. You miss the point of my first comment.
2. It is already a widely accepted practice that if you want to relieve yourself, you do it in private. Europeans have restrooms for relieving oneself too but breastfeeding is widely acceptable and considered normal even out in public, unlike here in 'Murica. Again, you are trying to compare apples to oranges.
3. The next time you are in a restaurant, I urge you to bring a blanket so that when you get served your meal, you can get under it and eat. Mothers and babies shouldn't have to sacrifice the necessity to eat for someone else's comfort.
4. You make it sound as if a mother just whips out a boob for all the world to see. If taught right and done right, no one ever even notices because the babe is already against the mom while she very discreetly puts babe and boob in place. I think your idea of how breastfeeding is conducted is a bit far-fetched.
5 & 6. Again, you miss the point entirely. And since you'd like to bring the law into this.. breastfeeding is covered under the US Constitution's Bill of Rights. While "breastfeeding" isn't stated, the term "LIFE" is. Babies who are breastfed, depend on a mother's milk for survival. Because of this, they are protected under the color of the law. And actually it is discrimination for any establishment to turn away a mother and a nursing child simply because the child is nursing. Why do you think you don't see a barrage of lawsuits out there in the news about this? Because establishments know they will lose in court.
7. See my response to number 3.
8. As do the overwhelming majority of people. So why is this such a huge issue for you here?
[+] 2 users Like Judi Lynn's post
08-04-2015, 02:14 PM
(08-04-2015 01:36 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I guess the oddest thing about my friend's triplets is that they each have three different birthdays. Two of them are identical and one was fraternal.

More than 24 hours passed between the birth of the first and the third?
Consider

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
08-04-2015, 02:25 PM
Breadfeeding in public.
Just my $0.02:
It's a breast.
She's feeding. No big deal.
Maybe my brain is weird in that it can differentiate between breastfeeding and hanging in front of my face.

Maybe the woman who posted it is frustrated that no one, baby or adult, is sucking on hers?

(Maybe $0.03)
How does this affect me or harm anyone?
Right. Doesn't.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
08-04-2015, 02:47 PM
(08-04-2015 02:14 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(08-04-2015 01:36 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I guess the oddest thing about my friend's triplets is that they each have three different birthdays. Two of them are identical and one was fraternal.

More than 24 hours passed between the birth of the first and the third?
Consider

The first was born in late September (fraternal twin). The other two were born closer to their due date in October, but the first of the identical twins was delivered at 11:45pm and the second was delivered shortly after midnight.

Hense each has their own birthdate.

Science is cool.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

08-04-2015, 02:48 PM
I think the only reason anyone on earth has an issue with breastfeeding is because they are misogynistic bastards who can't stand the thought of their favorite play toys actually having a useful purpose outside of their own entertainment. If society would stop overly sexualizing and objectifying women and their bodies, this wouldn't even be an issue. It's a boob. You see them all the time, plastered all over the media. The only thing that's different is the context.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
08-04-2015, 02:51 PM
(08-04-2015 02:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(08-04-2015 02:14 PM)unfogged Wrote:  More than 24 hours passed between the birth of the first and the third?
Consider

The first was born in late September (fraternal twin). The other two were born closer to their due date in October, but the first of the identical twins was delivered at 11:45pm and the second was delivered shortly after midnight.

Science is cool.

I'm 38 with no kids and no desire for them, but I get from people all the time, "now are you sure?"

Reading this makes me sure.
[+] 3 users Like rexbeccarox's post
08-04-2015, 02:55 PM
(08-04-2015 02:51 PM)rexbeccarox Wrote:  
(08-04-2015 02:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  The first was born in late September (fraternal twin). The other two were born closer to their due date in October, but the first of the identical twins was delivered at 11:45pm and the second was delivered shortly after midnight.

Science is cool.

I'm 38 with no kids and no desire for them, but I get from people all the time, "now are you sure?"

Reading this makes me sure.

Well, the odds of multiple births increase with age...

... this is my signature!
08-04-2015, 03:02 PM
(08-04-2015 02:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(08-04-2015 02:14 PM)unfogged Wrote:  More than 24 hours passed between the birth of the first and the third?
Consider

Science is cool.

So, a dual ovulation/fertilisation, with subsequent monozygotic twins? IIRC dizygotic triplets are actually fairly common so far as triplets are concerned. The circa-midnight birth is just coincidence, but separate deliveries is pretty odd. Maybe separate fertilisation events? Were fertility treatments involved? Not to pry, but, now I'm just curious. The vast majority of cases of 3+ multiple births are, in the modern world.

... this is my signature!