Break the speed of light

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2012, 12:05 AM
RE: Break the speed of light
(21-11-2012 11:37 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(19-11-2012 03:31 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  No you didn't. The information (the red laser dot is information now?) did not move from Lunar point A to Lunar point B. It moved from laser pointer to Lunar point A, then 1/100th of a second later it moved from laser pointer to Lunar point B. Surely you can see that this is true?

In this case the point of light can be considered information. Imagine way back before phones. In ancient rome they used fire on the tops of mountains to spread info faster than a human being can travel carrying it. There were many civilizations that did this. Now imagine that you have 2 settlements on the moon. Now imagine that one of our terrorist nations has a nuke heading for one each moon base. We knew it would happen, just not when. The point of light might only be saying "now", but if you aim at the one then drag to the other then that info did just travel across the moon at faster than light speed.
No. it didn't - because there is no 'it'. That is, there is no point of light travelling across the moon.

The idea of a point of light moving across the moon is in your head, not on the moon.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2012, 01:10 AM
(19-11-2012 02:53 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Take a laser pointer, and go outside after dark. Find the moon. Wave your laser pointer back and forth across the surface of the moon.

The moon has a diameter of 3,475km
Light travels at 300,000km/s

If you wave your hand quickly enough you can traverse the angular section of the moon in 1/100 of a second

3,475 * 100 = 347,500 km/s

347,500 > 300,000

Congratulations, you've just sent one bit of information at faster than the speed of light. Drinking Beverage
Somebody saw the "faster then speed of light" episode of minute science...

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
22-11-2012, 01:14 AM
I put the moon between my fingers and cruuuuushed it, I'm crushing its head! Faster than the speed of light!

[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
22-11-2012, 08:04 AM
Break the speed of light
(22-11-2012 01:14 AM)Logisch Wrote:  I put the moon between my fingers and cruuuuushed it, I'm crushing its head! Faster than the speed of light!

FTW!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
22-11-2012, 10:14 AM
(19-11-2012 02:53 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Take a laser pointer, and go outside after dark. Find the moon. Wave your laser pointer back and forth across the surface of the moon.

The moon has a diameter of 3,475km
Light travels at 300,000km/s

If you wave your hand quickly enough you can traverse the angular section of the moon in 1/100 of a second

3,475 * 100 = 347,500 km/s

347,500 > 300,000

Congratulations, you've just sent one bit of information at faster than the speed of light. Drinking Beverage
Idiot.

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-11-2012, 10:41 AM
I'm sorry, but this needs to be done:

[Image: W6lOnScQH96.jpg]

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post
26-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Here's a better example: Quantum Teleportation. Qubits can be transmitted instantaneously from one place to another regardless of the intervening distance (few inches, gazillion light years, same thing). ... Blink ... Blink ... We got a few crazy fucks at my work trying to apply this to instantaneously transmitting classical information. Quantum mechanics is some crazy shit that just ain't subject to the laws of classical physics.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
26-11-2012, 08:28 PM
I thought classical information couldn't be transmitted faster than light and that qbits could only transmit useless information. Is that so?

26-11-2012, 08:49 PM (This post was last modified: 26-11-2012 09:45 PM by GirlyMan.)
(26-11-2012 08:28 PM)nach_in Wrote:  I thought classical information couldn't be transmitted faster than light and that qbits could only transmit useless information. Is that so?

Who the fuck knows? The group at my work's working hypothesis is that by using qubytes or qutrits they can encode classical information. That's what they're working on at least. My money's on them. They're fucking scary smart. ... And at least a couple of them are highly religious, don't seem to impact their work none. Quite the contrary, it motivates them, they think they're close to finding God. ... I'm inclined to agree with them. Big Grin

Breathing - it's more art than science.
26-11-2012, 09:48 PM
nice, religious fanaticism in work for science, that must be a very efficient combination Big Grin