Breaking News: Turkish Army Launches Military Coup Against Erdogan's Government!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2016, 03:21 PM
RE: Breaking News: Turkish Army Launches Military Coup Against Erdogan's Government!
(15-07-2016 03:16 PM)Dom Wrote:  I hope Izel posts soon....I worry about her. I bet it's pretty chaotic there right now.

Echoing the concern.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-07-2016, 03:27 PM
RE: Breaking News: Turkish Army Launches Military Coup Against Erdogan's Government!
(15-07-2016 03:21 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(15-07-2016 03:16 PM)Dom Wrote:  I hope Izel posts soon....I worry about her. I bet it's pretty chaotic there right now.

Echoing the concern.

WWW seems to be down in large parts of Turkey.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
15-07-2016, 03:32 PM
I hope the rebellion is secular. The country has been going to shit. When they shot down that old Russian bomber I began to worry.

I too echo the feelings about Izel.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
15-07-2016, 03:34 PM

Izel should be fine. She lives in a touristic place quite far away from Ankara and Istanbul. There is probably not much, if anything , happening there.
I hope this is not just wishful thinking on my part.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
15-07-2016, 03:39 PM
I just heard that they shut down the web. There are a handful of people only who can get through apparently...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
15-07-2016, 03:40 PM
(15-07-2016 03:34 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  

Izel should be fine. She lives in a touristic place quite far away from Ankara and Istanbul. There is probably not much, if anything , happening there.

That's what I thought too. Can't say I'm not worried in general though. It's quite scary when it's so close. Plus, my sister's husband is Turkish and has family in Istanbul.

Greek twitter is full of smartasses jokingly claiming they're ready for the war.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
15-07-2016, 03:42 PM
(15-07-2016 03:40 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(15-07-2016 03:34 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Izel should be fine. She lives in a touristic place quite far away from Ankara and Istanbul. There is probably not much, if anything , happening there.

That's what I thought too. Can't say I'm not worried in general though. It's quite scary when it's so close. Plus, my sister's husband is Turkish and has family in Istanbul.

Greek twitter is full of smartasses jokingly claiming they're ready for the war.

Oh yeah, the old Greek/Turkish divide, is that still a thing?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
15-07-2016, 03:42 PM
On the surface it appears this is a good thing but then I’m not up to speed on the nuances of the Turkish government.

"The dramatic events began unfolding late Friday, roughly around 10 p.m., as the military moved to stop traffic over two of Istanbul’s bridges, which cross the Bosporus and connect the European and Asian sides of the capital. In the back streets of Beyoglu, in the European districts, bars and restaurants were showing footage on television of scenes at the bridge, while partygoers were glued to their mobile phones trying to learn what was happening.

Since the founding of modern Turkey in 1923 the military has staged coups in 1960, 1971 and 1980 – and intervened in 1997.

The military had long seen itself as the guardian of Turkey’s secular system, established by the country’s founder, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk. But in recent years a series of sensational trials had pushed the military back to its barracks, which analysts said had secured civilian leadership over the military.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/16/world/...-says.html

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
15-07-2016, 03:49 PM
(15-07-2016 03:42 PM)Dom Wrote:  Oh yeah, the old Greek/Turkish divide, is that still a thing?

Oh, I don't think it will ever stop being a thing. Both countries being based on patriotism and quite conservative and teaching kids how to hate one another and all.

Apparently, the military is aiming for a more secular constitution. At least that's what they've been saying on TV.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
15-07-2016, 03:54 PM
(15-07-2016 03:21 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

Echoing the concern.

The coup has apparently shut down social media.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk