Breaking a lease on an apartment?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2015, 05:26 PM
Breaking a lease on an apartment?
I just want some opinions on this. So I've been in this new apartment for about two weeks and it sucks big fat dicks. My neighbors are very loud and I've complained and nothing has been done. I moved into this place because I got a new job and it's 60 miles from my parents' house, about an hour and 20 minute ride. I'm miserable here though. I'm not sleeping and I'm stuck in this lease until August of 2016. It's 1025 a month, but if I want to break the lease, I'm only obligated to pay two months rent and I should get my security deposit back. This will mean I have to commute every day, but I have a friend's couch I can crash on a few nights a week and I can just move my stuff into a storage unit. I was thinking of moving out in mid December so I won't have to pay January's rent, just the 2050 to break the lease. And as a side note, I decided I would like to put a down payment on a house and by my calculations six months of commuting should leave me with enough of a down payment as long as I'm not renting something else. And there are potentially options of moving to company locations nearer my parents in the future. I've been really homesick and would like to be closer to my family. Thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2015, 06:27 PM
RE: Breaking a lease on an apartment?
Your own time and peace of mind have no price, so even if breaking the lease were to cost three times the price I'd encourage it. However, if the noisy neighbors are the ONLY fly in the ointment, you might find by December they've already departed. Long term tenancy is rare - even you are considering breaking a lease to relocate.

My next door neighbor once thought having pet rooster would be a cool. After a number of rudely met mornings the city made him get rid of it but he still kept his dog, which was worse in the noise department than the rooster. In a few months he and the dog also left, on their own. Situations change, so while securing peace of mind and time on your own clock is always worthwhile, constantly moving to find it might put you adjacent to more trouble then had you stayed put.
09-09-2015, 06:32 PM
You have only been there two weeks. Is there any clause in it that states what the owner has to do to uphold their end of the contract?

Read the lease carefully...there may be something in there that would let you out.

If not, your peace of mind and ability to sleep may be worth the cost in the long run.

My future daughter-in-law is living in the apartment from hell. She is so excited about getting out of there. Hopefully my son's home purchase continues to go well...if it does, they will be able to get her out of there next month.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
09-09-2015, 06:38 PM
You're right they may move out, but the coming and goings of people all night long give me cause for concern there might be some illegal activity going on. Of course how was I supposed to know this when I signed the lease? I'm not looking forward to paying the extra money but in the long run I think I'll be better off for it. I also have the possible option to relocate for my job in a few months making a location closer to my parents house possible which might bring my commute down to 45 mins plus being rent free.
09-09-2015, 06:40 PM
My thoughts on the matter?
Sack the fuck up and stick it out. You're home sick and that isn't gonna be solved by going back home. I mean, well, yea it would be, but you will never get over being homesick by going back home. Stop being a little bitch in other words.

Also, if they're being loud complain to the noise complaint people and they'll come over and shut your neighbors shit down and if they continue to be loud they'll even take their stereo and shit.

[Image: oscar.png]
09-09-2015, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2015 06:48 PM by Heywood Jahblome.)
Before you up and break the lease, spend a few bucks and consult a lawyer familiar with the laws in your state.

And then come back here and tell us what the lawyer said. Popcorn
[+] 3 users Like Heywood Jahblome's post
09-09-2015, 06:47 PM
You signed a lease, you can't get out without paying a penalty for breaking it. You have to decide which is more important to you--getting out or sucking it up and staying there. If it were me, I probably would give it a little more time to see if anything changes. Have you tried talking to your neighbors yourself?
09-09-2015, 06:59 PM
You'll have to excuse Muffs' sharp tone - he's still a little put out by when the bears came over and shit in his house after House of Cantor shooed them out of his.
[+] 5 users Like Airportkid's post
09-09-2015, 07:15 PM
(09-09-2015 06:38 PM)jerseygirlar Wrote:  You're right they may move out, but the coming and goings of people all night long give me cause for concern there might be some illegal activity going on. Of course how was I supposed to know this when I signed the lease? I'm not looking forward to paying the extra money but in the long run I think I'll be better off for it. I also have the possible option to relocate for my job in a few months making a location closer to my parents house possible which might bring my commute down to 45 mins plus being rent free.

Just read your post re: illegal activity. If you are really that uncomfortable, I would move and pay the penalty.

Unless you can prove illegal activity is going on and your landlord isn't doing anything about it etc., I don't think you can easily break your lease without paying a penalty.
10-09-2015, 12:42 AM
If you can afford to move somewhere better, DO IT! Sure loud people tend to move a lot but in a place where nothing gets done about noise it's likely the next neighbors will be loud too. I lived in a shitty complex that had noise among other problems for a year...and never want to go back to that. Either get the house or look for apartments that have good reviews.