Breaking news: FBI Director Comey to deliver statement at 11 a.m. ET

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2016, 10:41 PM
RE: Breaking news: FBI Director Comey to deliver statement at 11 a.m. ET
(06-07-2016 08:53 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  This little tidbit from James Comet in his press statement kind of gives drops a hint on what could be done to Hillary:

"To be clear, this is not to suggest that in similar circumstances, a person who engaged in this activity would face no consequences. To the contrary, those individuals are often subject to security or administrative sanctions. But that is not what we are deciding now."

Paul Ryan is working on those sanctions now, I imagine. She could be blocked from government service if her clearance is revoked.

Is this the same Paul Ryan that took a month to endorse Trump? Has to be hard having a conscience in politics.

http://www.salon.com/2016/07/06/theres_n...the_devil/

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2016, 10:56 PM
(06-07-2016 10:41 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(06-07-2016 08:53 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  This little tidbit from James Comet in his press statement kind of gives drops a hint on what could be done to Hillary:

"To be clear, this is not to suggest that in similar circumstances, a person who engaged in this activity would face no consequences. To the contrary, those individuals are often subject to security or administrative sanctions. But that is not what we are deciding now."

Paul Ryan is working on those sanctions now, I imagine. She could be blocked from government service if her clearance is revoked.

Is this the same Paul Ryan that took a month to endorse Trump? Has to be hard having a conscience in politics.

http://www.salon.com/2016/07/06/theres_n...the_devil/

I'm not saying that she didn't do anything wrong. DarkLight made an excellent point.

But on the other hand....if the republicans can win an election by legit means...

This just sucks for the American people -- because with all this bullshit we end up looking like a third world country.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

06-07-2016, 11:06 PM
(06-07-2016 10:56 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  This just sucks for the American people -- because with all this bullshit we end up looking like a third world country.
I think there's an argument to be made that the US already looks like one in comparison to many European countries (e.g. when it comes to infrastructure, public education and healthcare). Tongue

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
06-07-2016, 11:11 PM
(06-07-2016 07:02 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(06-07-2016 11:26 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Absolutely, so long as the FBI Director and AG have the spine to investigate their own boss, and the statute of limitations hasn't lapsed.

I was specifically talking about a Congressional impeachment, which is very different than a criminal prosecution. And, the Constitution is so vague on the topic I think the House can do whatever they want.

My underderstanding (and I'm no lawyer, forgive my bloviating) is that "high crimes and misdemeanors" means exactly that: how the crime is codified is regnant. If they wanted to impeach her for smoking a little hash fifty years ago, I doubt they could do that.

And if they wanted to launch the impeachment process right after inauguration, they can surely do so ... so long as they're willing to face attack on the grounds of voter nullification. If I were a Democrat whip, I'd be licking my chops at the prospect of painting Republicans (already tainted with the neofascism of Trump) with the brush of "look, they're trying to deny you your will as a voter."

No, they won't impeach. They'll stonewall, if they have a majority, and fight a rearguard action if they don't. I think the Dems will get the Senate, and that means the Republicans won't move for impeachment due to not wanting to lose a very public battle.
06-07-2016, 11:16 PM
(06-07-2016 02:36 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  My understanding is, his findings were twofold:
  • She did dumb things that he doesn't like.
  • Those things weren't criminal, so there can't be any reasonable criminal proceedings.
Criminal prosecutions are reserved for crimes, not for people that are dumb or that people don't like.
No offense, but if that's what you got from Comey's statements, then you weren't paying attention. He didn't say that her actions weren't criminal, he said that no reasonable prosecutor would bring charges against her because the evidence isn't good enough to prove criminal intent (which, as many legal experts have pointed out in the last couple of days, shouldn't matter because gross negligence is sufficient). Hillary Clinton recklessly endangered US national security by mishandling top secret information - to simply call that "dumb" is misleading and inaccurate at best and completely dishonest at worst.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
07-07-2016, 05:29 AM
(06-07-2016 11:06 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(06-07-2016 10:56 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  This just sucks for the American people -- because with all this bullshit we end up looking like a third world country.
I think there's an argument to be made that the US already looks like one in comparison to many European countries (e.g. when it comes to infrastructure, public education and healthcare). Tongue

For anyone who wonders if the US is a "third world country" (whatever that is....) --- a quick indication might be our power grid ----- which is all above ground and unguarded......................

Can anyone say "antique infrastructure"????

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
07-07-2016, 05:51 AM
The FBI director is a commy??? Gasp

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
07-07-2016, 05:54 AM
J. Edgar is turning over in his grave...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
07-07-2016, 05:55 AM
(07-07-2016 05:51 AM)Banjo Wrote:  The FBI director is a commy??? Gasp

I have to notice that there are a lot of commies in US lately.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
07-07-2016, 09:18 AM
(06-07-2016 11:11 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(06-07-2016 07:02 PM)BnW Wrote:  I was specifically talking about a Congressional impeachment, which is very different than a criminal prosecution. And, the Constitution is so vague on the topic I think the House can do whatever they want.

My underderstanding (and I'm no lawyer, forgive my bloviating) is that "high crimes and misdemeanors" means exactly that: how the crime is codified is regnant. If they wanted to impeach her for smoking a little hash fifty years ago, I doubt they could do that.

And if they wanted to launch the impeachment process right after inauguration, they can surely do so ... so long as they're willing to face attack on the grounds of voter nullification. If I were a Democrat whip, I'd be licking my chops at the prospect of painting Republicans (already tainted with the neofascism of Trump) with the brush of "look, they're trying to deny you your will as a voter."

No, they won't impeach. They'll stonewall, if they have a majority, and fight a rearguard action if they don't. I think the Dems will get the Senate, and that means the Republicans won't move for impeachment due to not wanting to lose a very public battle.

High crimes and misdemeanors is not defined in the document and can mean almost anything. And, since her actions may have constituted a crime, the FBI's willingness to recommend prosecution notwithstanding, they can legitimately go after her.

As for the optics of it, I see no evidence they care. And, I see a lot of evidence they don't. Look at the reaction to them stonewalling on the SCOTUS nomination. A large majority of the country want them to have a vote. Do you see a vote coming? They won't give a single thought to people being upset.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost