Breaking silence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2013, 05:32 PM
RE: Breaking silence
Changed my title to it. Thanks hobbit. I was wondering how I should pronounce it and decided on the Ancient Rome influence...

"Oom Fa Thius"

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes NoahsFarce's post
08-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Re: Breaking silence
I would almost go with Oomptheist. Just sayin.....
08-07-2013, 06:30 PM
(08-07-2013 05:32 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  ... I was wondering how I should pronounce it and decided on the Ancient Rome influence...

"Oom Fa Thius"

Greek, surely? Latin doesn't have a 'th' (it's why Greek theos is Latin deus - incidentally that's the same root as both Zeus and Jupiter...).

Anyway.

Um...
Carry on.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
08-07-2013, 08:51 PM
(08-07-2013 06:30 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 05:32 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  ... I was wondering how I should pronounce it and decided on the Ancient Rome influence...

"Oom Fa Thius"

Greek, surely? Latin doesn't have a 'th' (it's why Greek theos is Latin deus - incidentally that's the same root as both Zeus and Jupiter...).

Anyway.

Um...
Carry on.

Thracian

Thracius

Otho

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
09-07-2013, 08:58 AM
(08-07-2013 06:30 PM)cjlr Wrote:  

"Oom Fa Thius"

Anyway.

Um...
Carry on.

Pretty sure theos isn't pronounced with the english th, rather with a t

[Image: godtroll.php]
09-07-2013, 09:26 AM
Another problem is that no one knows what the ancient Roman language sounded like. It's one of my biggest peeves. I am dying to know what their Latin sounded like.

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
09-07-2013, 09:29 AM
(09-07-2013 08:58 AM)NL Atheist Wrote:  Pretty sure theos isn't pronounced with the english th, rather with a t

Kind of. In classical times it was more of an aspirated 't' (sort of a quick t then h, as opposed to a single, separate sound). That sound isn't native to Latin either, mind. In modern Greek it's a very English 'th' (which English 'th', you ask? never you mind, that's beside the point). As to when the transition occurred, I couldn't tell you (and indeed, until the standardization that accompanied the formation of the modern nation state, therer were a range of massively varying Greek dialects).

(08-07-2013 08:51 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  Thracian

Thracius

Otho

Those are loanwords - from Greek, in the case of the first two (which are, really, the same word). Otho isn't Latin either - it's Etruscan!

09-07-2013, 09:29 AM
(09-07-2013 09:26 AM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  Another problem is that no one knows what the ancient Roman language sounded like. It's one of my biggest peeves. I am dying to know what their Latin sounded like.

I'm guessing it has some resemblence to Italian

[Image: godtroll.php]
09-07-2013, 09:31 AM
(09-07-2013 09:26 AM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  Another problem is that no one knows what the ancient Roman language sounded like. It's one of my biggest peeves. I am dying to know what their Latin sounded like.

We actually have a very good idea. There are a few bits of ancient text which are, indeed, about phonology; we also know, from poetry, verse, and puns, some rhymes, and other types of sound relationships between words.

09-07-2013, 09:33 AM
(09-07-2013 09:29 AM)NL Atheist Wrote:  I'm guessing it has some resemblence to Italian

Modern Sardinian, if I recall correctly, is considered the most 'conservative' of Romance languages. Though it has, of course, been rather repressed since the risorgimento...