Breaking the Moral Contract

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2012, 04:25 PM
I was with a friend one night when a topic was brought up about some friends that she knew. She mentioned that her friend was cheating on her boyfriend. I asked if she was going to intervene or tell the boyfriend. She simply said that she had no right to be in the girlfriend's business.

In this situation the moral code of trust or privacy is being respected by my friend. My issue with it is, once someone has violated a moral code, why should their moral code be respected? And why should you uphold your moral bond as friends expecting the same result?

Aside from what is objective or subjective, if you view the action as wrong, then why should you respect any morality that you would consider lesser than it? Assuming you can place your morality in a hierarchy type of fashion from high to low importance.

I may be talking out my ass at the moment, and I could probably find a better way to word this, but I am tired, sick, and bored. Ask if anyone need further elaboration, and please discuss.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes NotSoVacuous's post
27-08-2012, 04:31 PM
RE: Breaking the Moral Contract
Getting mixed up between lovers is a fool's game IMO. No profit comes of it and likely all parties involved will end up loathing *your* guts Big Grin
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post
27-08-2012, 05:21 PM
(27-08-2012 04:31 PM)morondog Wrote:  Getting mixed up between lovers is a fool's game IMO. No profit comes of it and likely all parties involved will end up loathing *your* guts Big Grin

The "right" decisions are often the most unpopular ones.

Cheating is a very delicate subject for me, so I will reserve judgement due to my overly biased opinion.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
27-08-2012, 05:28 PM
(27-08-2012 04:25 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  I was with a friend one night when a topic was brought up about some friends that she knew. She mentioned that her friend was cheating on her boyfriend. I asked if she was going to intervene or tell the boyfriend. She simply said that she had no right to be in the girlfriend's business.

In this situation the moral code of trust or privacy is being respected by my friend. My issue with it is, once someone has violated a moral code, why should their moral code be respected? And why should you uphold your moral bond as friends expecting the same result?

Aside from what is objective or subjective, if you view the action as wrong, then why should you respect any morality that you would consider lesser than it? Assuming you can place your morality in a hierarchy type of fashion from high to low importance.

I may be talking out my ass at the moment, and I could probably find a better way to word this, but I am tired, sick, and bored. Ask if anyone need further elaboration, and please discuss.

The (for me), question is " "why would I respect, or want to be friends with someone who cheats" ? If I found out accidentally, I would say, "umm, I am confused ...." and try to clarify the situation with the friend. If the friend admits they are cheating, and says it will continue, and they don't care about the harm it may cause, I would ask myself if that's the sort of person I want as a friend.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
27-08-2012, 05:54 PM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2012 05:58 PM by NotSoVacuous.)
@Bucky

Glad you understood my question, but yes simply put if one person commits an act that is obviously immoral to some degree, should that person receive any type of respect from you--in a moral sense. In other words, if a person was cheating, should you really have to hold any type of moral obligation to someone who doesn't for others?

I also mean this in a direct action sense, such as, (Besides the law) morally acceptable to thieve from said person. Why should a morally corrupt person's possessions be respected when they themselves don't respect a moral standard.

Exaggerating the scenario might help, considering it would draw us away from possible grey areas or lines. Would you find it morally wrong to kill, steal, lie to, cheat on, or any other wrong doing to Hitler. He obviously de-attaches himself from a moral code, thus in my eyes making him fair game with no moral reprehension.

The cheater falls in the same scenario, yet with less things permissible.

27-08-2012, 05:56 PM
So are you suggesting if someone cheats, it's okay to cheat on them? If someone steals it's okay to steal from them? Huh

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
27-08-2012, 07:36 PM
(27-08-2012 05:56 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  So are you suggesting if someone cheats, it's okay to cheat on them? If someone steals it's okay to steal from them? Huh

I am making a point that the moral code is only applicable to the creatures in this universe that abide by it or who are incapable of being apart of it. I am also asking if anyone sees something incorrect with this thinking and why?

27-08-2012, 09:14 PM
(27-08-2012 07:36 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  
(27-08-2012 05:56 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  So are you suggesting if someone cheats, it's okay to cheat on them? If someone steals it's okay to steal from them? Huh

I am making a point that the moral code is only applicable to the creatures in this universe that abide by it or who are incapable of being apart of it. I am also asking if anyone sees something incorrect with this thinking and why?

I think the way I read the question that you set up, makes it sound to me that one violation of this moral code means the violator is forever done deserving any sense of respect given to them. Maybe that's not what you're saying. I don't know. To me the whole thing in your OP feels like it's none of my business what other people do.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
27-08-2012, 10:01 PM
(27-08-2012 09:14 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(27-08-2012 07:36 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  I am making a point that the moral code is only applicable to the creatures in this universe that abide by it or who are incapable of being apart of it. I am also asking if anyone sees something incorrect with this thinking and why?

I think the way I read the question that you set up, makes it sound to me that one violation of this moral code means the violator is forever done deserving any sense of respect given to them. Maybe that's not what you're saying. I don't know. To me the whole thing in your OP feels like it's none of my business what other people do.

Done in any sense of respect that would be equal to or below the moral code they have breached--for a duration of undecided time(if not forever).

29-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Let's start with the following question:
What is cheating in a relationship?
Why do we have such a concept?

The idea that one individual owns the exclusive right to have sex with another individual is perverse. Every individual owns their own self. If a person wants to own the sex right to me I will tell them that this is my right exclusively. If at any time I choose to have sex with another individual it is my call. If I choose not to have sex with someone other than my wife, that is my call, not hers. She does not own me. I do not own her.

The concept comes from individuals who are insecure in their own person. They feel the need to control others, such as a sex partner. We make this a binding arrangement in the religious world. "Let no man break apart...."

To answer the original question, you should mind your own business. If there is an agreement between two other individuals regarding acts of sexual intercourse, it is not your concern. You are not the moral police, given that an agreement to exclusive sex rights is a moral issue at all. I don't believe that it is.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post