Breaking the spell?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2015, 04:43 PM
Breaking the spell?
Why is religion called a spell and the matrix???

And how do people come to break the spell of religion and escape/come out of the matrix of religion?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2015, 05:30 PM
RE: Breaking the spell?
Because it is brainwashing. The best way out of it is to educate yourself with science and scholarly books and articles on religion and to turn on your common sense and reason. I also like watching atheist/christian debates. It is also helpful to actually read the Bible (I know many Christians who have never read the entire Bible--they have only been spoon fed specific selected passages in church.) For some people, when they do actually read The Bible in its entirety, they realize how silly the whole thing is. For some people it's much harder to break through all of the brainwashing.
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
22-04-2015, 06:09 PM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2015 06:13 PM by Tomasia.)
(22-04-2015 05:30 PM)jennybee Wrote:  The best way out of it is to educate yourself with science and scholarly books and articles on religion and to turn on your common sense and reason.

Is this to say that atheism is the most commonsensical position? I would think that some form of minimal theism, would be the most commonsensical position, even if it isn't true. I find that it's typically atheists who abhor the notion of believing things based on common sense. And I'm often encouraged by unbelievers not to rely on common sense.
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
22-04-2015, 06:22 PM
(22-04-2015 06:09 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(22-04-2015 05:30 PM)jennybee Wrote:  The best way out of it is to educate yourself with science and scholarly books and articles on religion and to turn on your common sense and reason.

Is this to say that atheism is the most commonsensical position? I would think that some form of minimal theism, would be the most commonsensical position, even if it isn't true. I find that it's typically atheists who abhor the notion of believing things based on common sense. And I'm often encouraged by unbelievers not to rely on common sense.

Ahem...WUT?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
22-04-2015, 06:36 PM
I don't think you should rely solely on common sense--which is why I suggested learning about science and reading every scholarly book you can get your hands on. I also think it's important to become educated about the Bible and understand fully what it is saying. I think a dose of common sense is needed when reading the Bible--God appearing as a burning bush, God knocking down the tower of Babel to disperse language so people wouldn't become more powerful than God, a talking donkey, a talking serpent, people living extremely long lives, nephilim having sex with human women, giants...I could go on and on and on.
22-04-2015, 07:10 PM
(22-04-2015 06:09 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  ...
I find that it's typically atheists who abhor the notion of believing things based on common sense. And I'm often encouraged by unbelievers not to rely on common sense.

Good point, well made.

We've evolved using our 23 senses (depending upon how one counts them) and along the way we've created gods.

I wonder what senses and gods would have evolved for self-aware entities living in a different matrix i.e. a quantum world.

Consider

22-04-2015, 11:27 PM
(22-04-2015 04:43 PM)jason197754 Wrote:  Why is religion called a spell and the matrix???

And how do people come to break the spell of religion and escape/come out of the matrix of religion?

Because it make people believe in fairy tales which at some point of our history might have been used to explain complex world to unenlightened folks.

As for the breaking the spell answer is education.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
22-04-2015, 11:45 PM
(22-04-2015 04:43 PM)jason197754 Wrote:  Why is religion called a spell and the matrix???

It's a false world view, a spell that entrances a person into a false reality that is not how the objective universe actually operates. ESPECIALLY if you are a creationist.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 2 users Like Shadow Fox's post
23-04-2015, 06:04 AM
(22-04-2015 06:09 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Is this to say that atheism is the most commonsensical position? I would think that some form of minimal theism, would be the most commonsensical position, even if it isn't true.

God of the Gaps =/= common sense. Just because people didn't know why the sun rose in the east and set in the west doesn't mean that "common sense" would dictate that a god did it. Common sense would involve admitting what you don't or can't know. Otherwise, we call it "horseshit".
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
23-04-2015, 06:41 AM
(23-04-2015 06:04 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  God of the Gaps =/= common sense. Just because people didn't know why the sun rose in the east and set in the west doesn't mean that "common sense" would dictate that a god did it. Common sense would involve admitting what you don't or can't know. Otherwise, we call it "horseshit".

Nah, that's not really how common sense works. It's involves an awareness of one's intuitive assumptions, typically serving as a baseline truth, until revealed otherwise. An intuitive assumption would have been that the sun revolved around the earth, that's what our sensory perceptions seem to suggest, and we would likely continue to believe that until we encounter reasons to doubt them.

Intuitive assumptions about life, are teleological as well, as has been observed even in young children, even among children not raised in religious homes. We tend to intuitively believe that we are here as the result of some intention and purpose, it's only when many of us acquire reasons to doubt this, that we believe otherwise.