Breaking the spell?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2015, 03:42 PM
RE: Breaking the spell?
(24-04-2015 03:28 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 03:23 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  But here's the rub...I can't rewind history. i really can't.

Who asked you to rewind history? All that matters is that you can think as if history were rewound regarding the question. And say things such as, if I could rewind history it's unlikely (1/36) that you would have thrown double 6s

Yes, but so what? What actually did happen has no bearing on what might happen if you could rewind.

Therefore, whatever did happen is not amazing or remarkable or uncanny. It is not an uncanny fluke that we have mammals or that insects have six legs or that we have red flowers - those things are just the way it happened to happen.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-04-2015, 03:42 PM
(22-04-2015 07:10 PM)DLJ Wrote:  We've evolved using our 23 senses (depending upon how one counts them) and along the way we've created gods.

When they scold me for merely informing them of the fact that "I am god." I go "23 senses bitches. 23 senses." Drinking Beverage

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
24-04-2015, 05:48 PM
(24-04-2015 03:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 03:28 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Who asked you to rewind history? All that matters is that you can think as if history were rewound regarding the question. And say things such as, if I could rewind history it's unlikely (1/36) that you would have thrown double 6s

Yes, but so what? What actually did happen has no bearing on what might happen if you could rewind.

Therefore, whatever did happen is not amazing or remarkable or uncanny. It is not an uncanny fluke that we have mammals or that insects have six legs or that we have red flowers - those things are just the way it happened to happen.

It doesn't particualry follow that because something happened, it can't be an uncanny fluke. In fact when we speak of things being uncanny, or a fluke we're typically speaking about things that already happened.
Find all posts by this user
25-04-2015, 06:21 AM
(24-04-2015 05:48 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 03:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, but so what? What actually did happen has no bearing on what might happen if you could rewind.

It doesn't particualry follow that because something happened, it can't be an uncanny fluke. In fact when we speak of things being uncanny, or a fluke we're typically speaking about things that already happened.

"Uncanny fluke" is a subjective judgment based on (probably mistaken) expectation of what could happen.

One person's "uncanny fluke" is another person's "yeah, so what?".

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user