Breaking up with Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2011, 01:16 PM
RE: Breaking up with Jesus
Ring ring... ring ring... Hey Jesus, it's Jamie ...Yeah we need to talk... I don't think this whole being your cheerleader thing is going to work out. I'm sorry but it's not you it's me... Ok ok stop yelling.. Yes I admitt it I have been worshiping another deity.. No he's not a whore... I don't care if the flying spaghetti monster has a stripper factory and hangs out with pirates.. You don't know him don't judge him like that... yeah well maybe I want a heaven with a beer volcano... I don't care If you can turn water into wine. I don't like wine... Look it's to late I already bought a pirate hat... We can still be friends.... Well if that's your attitude forget it... Why don't you run to those 12 guys that you are just "friends" with..*hangs up*

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like FSM_scot's post
09-09-2011, 12:20 AM
You sound like you get that it was always your own internal voice anyway. You can still have those conversations. No reason to stop. Sometimes, when I need to clarify a thought, I'll talk it out with myself. I have a picture in my head of someone almost like a twin of me, but I picture her as the ideal version. You know - wise. Most of the time I think with my own voice & no companion is there, but sometimes I purposely talk to this idealized version of myself. I'll talk to myself & even turn in the direction I picture her/me standing. I know it's me, but imagining the other side of the conversation can be incredibly helpful in focusing my thoughts.

So it's not a choice of Jesus as mental companion, or a great empty desert with only you clawing your way thru the unmarked sands. You always have your own intuition, & the instincts you've developed thru eons of evolution. That's who I feel like I'm talking to - the part of me that's thinking with the clarity of a creature who's less distracted by cluttered daily life. More like an animal, running on instinct.

Every time you say you don't believe, Jesus rips the wings off a fairy. - SkepticalParenting.com
[+] 1 user Likes EvilMomLady's post
09-09-2011, 03:35 PM
(08-09-2011 05:20 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Hi Zaika, I've never had a good personal relationship with Jesus, but I have helped many patients who have suffered because they have.

Jesus is just alright with me.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
09-09-2011, 05:13 PM
@GirlyMan: Thanks!! Now I have that song stuck in my head. Tongue

@Mark Fulton: Thank you for the resources!! I am very much encouraged by the fact that there is actually some recognition in the mental health field of how damaging religion can be. I love the blog, and I'll be downloading Marlene Winell's book tonight.

@Peterkin: Thank you for your story. I was also profoundly disappointed in Jesus...at a relatively young age, but my persistant need for adult approval and the fact that all the adults in my life were Christians, fueled the idea that I must just be doing something wrong. Hahaha...eventually I started just getting fed up with doing all the "right things" and still getting nothing. So...yeah...Jesus isn't very attentive. I don't think I'll replace him, though. I'm going to try out trusting in myself and my thoughts...see if that gets me anywhere. Wink

@BnW: I'm currently writing a break up letter to Jesus, and I made sure to include that. lol

@FSM_scot: Awesome! I had a good laugh at that. If heaven had a beer volcano...I *might* reconsider.

@EvilMomLady: Thank you for that. I find myself often realizing that I am free to think and believe however I see fit...and I do talk to myself and try to encourage more thought. What I've noticed, too, is that the person I am becoming is entirely better than the person I was as a Christian. I actually care about people now that I'm not agonizing over my own sins...I actually have the mental energy to extend myself to others in peace and love. I'm trusting myself more...and it's become such a beautiful and powerful thing. Smile

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

- Carl Sagan
09-09-2011, 05:38 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2011 07:27 PM by GirlyMan.)
(09-09-2011 05:13 PM)zaika Wrote:  @GirlyMan: Thanks!! Now I have that song stuck in my head. Tongue

Good.

10-09-2011, 09:51 AM
(07-09-2011 03:47 PM)zaika Wrote:  Jesus was like the caring and loving dad that I didn’t have. I honestly felt like Jesus was a far away friend that I would “call” in my head when I needed help or comfort.

According to the Nicene Creed, Jesus is: true God from true God, begotten, not made, of one Being with the Father - so Christians are required to believe that Jesus and God are one and the same.

And do you know what Jesus/God is preparing for you now that you have lost your faith? According to Leviticus 26 (starting at verse 14) he said:

* I will send dangerous animals among you, and they will kill your children
* I will send incurable diseases among you
* I will cut off your food supply
* Your hunger will be so great that you will eat your own children.
* I will turn your cities into ruins
* I will bring war on you

Loving father my arse ! You're better off without him.

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see
[+] 1 user Likes Joe Bloe's post
11-09-2011, 04:36 PM
(10-09-2011 09:51 AM)Joe Bloe Wrote:  According to the Nicene Creed, Jesus is: true God from true God, begotten, not made, of one Being with the Father - so Christians are required to believe that Jesus and God are one and the same.

According to the GirlyMan Creed, GirlyMan is: true God from true God, begotten, not made, of one Being with the Father - so GirlyMen are required to believe that GirlyMan and God are one and the same.

23-09-2011, 09:10 AM
(10-09-2011 09:51 AM)Joe Bloe Wrote:  
(07-09-2011 03:47 PM)zaika Wrote:  Jesus was like the caring and loving dad that I didn’t have. I honestly felt like Jesus was a far away friend that I would “call” in my head when I needed help or comfort.

According to the Nicene Creed, Jesus is: true God from true God, begotten, not made, of one Being with the Father - so Christians are required to believe that Jesus and God are one and the same.

And do you know what Jesus/God is preparing for you now that you have lost your faith? According to Leviticus 26 (starting at verse 14) he said:

* I will send dangerous animals among you, and they will kill your children
* I will send incurable diseases among you
* I will cut off your food supply
* Your hunger will be so great that you will eat your own children.
* I will turn your cities into ruins
* I will bring war on you

Loving father my arse ! You're better off without him.

Seriously.

And you know, during my christian upbringing, those damnations were never talked about except within the context of the damnation of the Jews. Even though it was in a bible that was the inerrant word of god for *everyone*, and my pastor at the time even said this, "our god" was not this violent being now that jesus had come and died for us. Undecided

Instead, we were emotionally manipulated into pretending we had this loving relationship with Jesus, and then threatened with eternal seperation from this love if we erred.

That was a fucked up way to live...in constant fear of being rejected by someone you loved who was supposed to love you.

Yeah, no thank you.

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

- Carl Sagan