Breathing underwater

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2014, 09:45 AM
Breathing underwater
So I saw this today:

http://themindunleashed.org/2014/10/scie...tanks.html

It is basically like an oxygen battery - the "aquaman crystal" stores oxygen for later use. I'm not quite clear on how exactly we'd use it, just... suck on it? Eat it? According to the article it's very efficient and could be better than a scuba tank.

Somebody smarter than me please tell me I can be a mermaid. Heart

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Colourcraze's post
08-10-2014, 09:58 AM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2014 04:25 PM by Chas.)
RE: Breathing underwater
(08-10-2014 09:45 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  So I saw this today:

It is basically like an oxygen battery - the "aquaman crystal" stores oxygen for later use. I'm not quite clear on how exactly we'd use it, just... suck on it? Eat it? According to the article it's very efficient and could be better than a scuba tank.

I really hate when articles on science/technology get basic facts wrong.
No one dives with oxygen tanks. We use compressed air or Heliox. Geez.

Anyways, while the material exists, there is not yet any delivery mechanism for oxygen to the diver.

It might take some time to work that out. Don't hold your breath. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-10-2014, 04:21 PM
(08-10-2014 09:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  

No one dive with oxygen tanks. We use compressed air or Heliox. Geez.

Anyways, while the material exists, there is not yet any delivery mechanism for oxygen to the diver.

It might take some time to work that out. Don't hold your breath. Drinking Beverage

Hopefully some engineer will figure out how to make a delivery system.

"Oxygen tanks" is a constant source of aggravation for me as well.

I sometimes dive with Enriched Air called Nitrox, all that is is a higher percentage of O2, say for instance a 32% mix = 32% O2 and 68% Nitrogen instead of the normal 21/79 ratio we all breathe.

Some technical divers will take a bottle of 100% O2 to speed up desaturation but it is only used during decompression stops since O2 is toxic at partial pressures greater than 1.6 and causes convulsions.

TriMix and Heliox are certainly used by tech divers since helium is an inert gas and doesn't build up in tissues like nitrogen.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
08-10-2014, 04:24 PM
(08-10-2014 04:21 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 09:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  I really hate when articles on science/technology get basic facts wrong.
No one dive with oxygen tanks. We use compressed air or Heliox. Geez.

Hopefully some engineer will figure out how to make a delivery system.

I sometimes dive with Enriched Air called Nitrox, all that is is a higher percentage of O2, say for instance a 32% mix = 32% O2 and 68% Nitrogen instead of the normal 21/79 ratio we all breathe.

Some technical divers will take a bottle of 100% O2 to speed up desaturation but it is only used during decompression stops since O2 is toxic at partial pressures greater than 1.6 and causes convulsions.

TriMix and Heliox are certainly used by tech divers since helium is an inert gas and doesn't build up in tissues like nitrogen.

Yeah, I forgot Nitrox. I've only ever used air - I'm just a casual sport diver.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-10-2014, 04:28 PM
(08-10-2014 04:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 04:21 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Hopefully some engineer will figure out how to make a delivery system.

Yeah, I forgot Nitrox. I've only ever used air - I'm just a casual sport diver.

You can take the class online with PADI, no water work required, deals only with theory and partial pressures of gas, you wouldn't have a problem with it. It really adds a margin of safety and additional bottom time on dives 100' or less, I highly recommend it, especially as we get older.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
08-10-2014, 04:39 PM
(08-10-2014 09:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Although that may be the best option in the mean time...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
08-10-2014, 04:44 PM
(08-10-2014 04:39 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 09:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  I really hate when articles on science/technology get basic facts wrong.

Although that may be the best option in the mean time...

ahaha, Chas made a funnySmartass

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.