Brian Baker
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
12-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Brian Baker
Anyone remember Brian Baker? He is the founder of one of the largest churches in Australia (Riverview Church). He use to be the pastor, but then left, and handed down the pastor position to his son, Phil Baker (Is it just me, or does "the pastor position", sound like a sex position? Haha) But now Brian Baker is an atheist, and he even has a book out called "From Faith, To Reason". I haven't read the book yet, but it looks interesting. So I just thought I might as well share that with all of you. If any of you have read it yet, or are going to read it, please let me know how it is, it would be much appreciated Big Grin

P.S. Brian Baker is on facebook. He seems to be fairly new to it, being that he only has 1 friend. So go ahead and add him with a warm welcome if you like Smile

P.S.S. Guess what?! His Book even has an Facebook page! Check it out Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2010, 09:50 PM
RE: Brian Baker
Honestly, it's the first time I'm hearing the name. However, guys like Baker bring up a very good question: how many other preachers/nuns/clergymen are there that are 'closeted' atheists but are just too afraid to come out?

Read the following report on a study done by Daniel Dennett and Linda LaScola, titled "Preachers who are not Believers".

If there are a great deal of 'religious' leaders out there who just keep doing what they are doing because they don't know what ELSE to do, then shame on all of them for living a lie and continuing to fool others. Undecided
12-05-2010, 10:06 PM
RE: Brian Baker
This is a given either way. The greater whole of the worlds population may be counted as 'religious' but when you strip away outside factors and directly confront them, it is revealed that this is not an accurate account. long as the greater intellectual category maintains its technological and intellectual edge over religious conviction and it's supporters, then it won't matter either way though. I forget where I read it, but it went something like this: religion has a tens of thousand year lead over science, yet where to the table stands now? A few hundred years later after the industrial revolution kicked off and you're reading words I typed a few seconds ago, thousands of miles away, via light tunnels.

Tell me...what will happen in another hundred years time?

This is why I think that religion as a whole will eventually reform into a kind of amish-esque hybrid of todays modern religions combined with an advanced form of pseudoscience in the near future. You'll have the religion-less technologically advanced aspect of humanity, and the shunning and phobic based religious aspect. Eventually there simply won't be any competition.