Bridge of Spies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2015, 09:59 PM
Bridge of Spies
So I went out to the movies today and saw Bridge of Spies, which is actually good if you enjoy dramatic film. Bridge of Spies is the story of the exchange between the United States and the Soviet Union of Rudolf Abel, their spy, for Gary Powers, our spy. The movie is names after the East German bridge they both crossed to get home.

I was interested in how American culture was portrayed as related to God in this film, which is set in the 1950's, way before I was born. There are two instances that stand out for me. First, during the courtroom scene in which Abel is sentenced to 30 years in prison, people jump to their feet yelling "Why in the name of God isn't he being hanged?". Second, when the CIA give Powers his mission, it tells him to "tell no one, not even God."

I find that this kind of calling on God and at the same time fundamentally ignoring him (or at least what he is supposed to stand for) is common today as well.

I wonder what other people think who have seen the film or know the story of Abel and Powers. Was Abel honorable, as his attorney asserts, for refusing to admit to being a Soviet spy and refusing to tell all to the US government? How do you feel about Powers being expected to die in his plane if shot down, or to take cyanide to keep himself from telling our secrets? How do you feel about the CIA agents attitude towards Powers and the economics student who is being held by the East Germans?

How do you feel about Abel's attorney? He is shown praying over food with his family, but in the course of his work he never mentions God and is presented as showing concern for the wellbeing of his Soviet client as well as for the two Americans.

Let me know what you think.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-10-2015, 10:23 PM
RE: Bridge of Spies
I'd not heard of it but your write-up encouraged me to go to imdb.

Mark Rylance as Abel ... That's promising.

Oh shit ... Tom Hanks ... no thanks.

Big Grin

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply