Briefly: WHY ARE ATHEISTS CONCERNED ABOUT RELIGION?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2014, 08:38 AM
RE: Briefly: WHY ARE ATHEISTS CONCERNED ABOUT RELIGION?
(25-05-2014 08:32 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Because idiots brainwash children into denying scientific facts and those children grow up to do the same to their own. Before you know it you have the most advanced nation in the world filled with scientifically illiterate idiots that thinks you can put two of every animal on the planet in a boat.
Beyond that I personally find religion a very interesting topic. Kinda like how my wife finds serial killers interesting.

Have we met? I think I might be your wife. Blink

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
25-05-2014, 08:57 AM
Because it's insane.

Imagine if every day, while you were walking down the street, you saw someone talking to a pineapple. As you watch, you realize he's named this pineapple, occasionally pets it, and wraps it up in a blanket when it gets windy.

This might not be harming anyone, but odds are you'd still stare and wonder what the hell was wrong with him. You'd probably talk to people about this strange pineapple man. Maybe, eventually, you'd try and bring him back to reality.

Same with religion. Bat crap crazy = Hard to ignore.
[+] 11 users Like CleverUsername's post
25-05-2014, 09:01 AM
(25-05-2014 08:57 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Because it's insane.

Imagine if every day, while you were walking down the street, you saw someone talking to a pineapple. As you watch, you realize he's named this pineapple, occasionally pets it, and wraps it up in a blanket when it gets windy.

This might not be harming anyone, but odds are you'd still stare and wonder what the hell was wrong with him. You'd probably talk to people about this strange pineapple man. Maybe, eventually, you'd try and bring him back to reality.

Same with religion. Bat crap crazy = Hard to ignore.

As long as pineapple man isn't trying to get everyone else to do what he's doing...let him have at it. If he is going to knock on my door on Saturday morning trying to get me to pet and love on a pineapple I won't like that.

If he is in a position to make laws and rules that require the worship of the pineapple, then it's a problem for people.

If the religious would just keep their religion to themselves and not try to force it on everyone else, there would not be a problem.

I would be more inclined to follow pineapple man, especially if we occasionally are allowed to dine on the pineapple.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 7 users Like Anjele's post
25-05-2014, 09:15 AM
Because the churches and, for example, their political arm, the ReThugLyKKKan party, have openly declared, and are actively waging, their "culture war" on the American people, and religions are pressing their "culture wars" in the rest of the world as well (see: CatholiKKK church, Islam, Taliban).

We wouldn't give two shits if they would just keep their insanities to themselves, but they have every intention of infecting the entire population of the world with them.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 4 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
25-05-2014, 09:28 AM
Not only the policy shit, but for me it's a bit of fascination too. Southern African society is permeated by religion. I couldn't avoid it growing up and some of the stuff left a few scars. For me there is a level of obsession about my interest in religion. I want to know why people believe the silly stuff that to me seems so obviously false. And IMO largely that's to do with a lack of understanding of the basic principles of critical thinking. That, childhood indoctrination and the pre-existing vast machinery of faith with its memes and propaganda.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
25-05-2014, 09:59 AM
(25-05-2014 09:28 AM)morondog Wrote:  Not only the policy shit, but for me it's a bit of fascination too. Southern African society is permeated by religion. I couldn't avoid it growing up and some of the stuff left a few scars. For me there is a level of obsession about my interest in religion. I want to know why people believe the silly stuff that to me seems so obviously false. And IMO largely that's to do with a lack of understanding of the basic principles of critical thinking. That, childhood indoctrination and the pre-existing vast machinery of faith with its memes and propaganda.

Because religions like christianity and islam etc are doing a great harm to humanity. The bullshit these religions teach is very dangerous.
[+] 3 users Like Leo's post
25-05-2014, 10:06 AM
Caps lock is for chumps. Dodgy

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
25-05-2014, 10:07 AM
(25-05-2014 08:38 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(25-05-2014 08:32 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Because idiots brainwash children into denying scientific facts and those children grow up to do the same to their own. Before you know it you have the most advanced nation in the world filled with scientifically illiterate idiots that thinks you can put two of every animal on the planet in a boat.
Beyond that I personally find religion a very interesting topic. Kinda like how my wife finds serial killers interesting.

Have we met? I think I might be your wife. Blink

Let's just say I'm not against the idea of having two. Wink
[+] 2 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
25-05-2014, 10:07 AM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2014 10:11 AM by Hobbitgirl.)

[+] 5 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
25-05-2014, 10:29 AM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2014 10:39 AM by Reltzik.)
I've got basically three interests in religion.

The first is... a pretty benign interest. I like stories. I like faerie tales and ghost stories. I know that circles of mushrooms won't transport me to faerie land. I know that ghosts don't exist, except in the most metaphorical sense. That doesn't make the stories less fun. In a way, it makes them more fun. So I listen to the mythologies with interest, and view a lot of the rituals and celebrations in a sort of "would this make a fun party game?" attitude. Hey, I don't have to believe that all the souls of the dead are rising from the graves on one particular night and going off to the afterlife in order to dress up for Halloween.

My other interest is reserved for when religion ceases to be a personal foible and becomes something worse. When it kills people, like in an Islamist state, or the Christian states of a few hundred years ago, or modern Islamist or Christian terrorist groups, or the old Hindu practice of burning widows alive, or the Zen-Buddhist-Shinto Japanese atrocities up through World War II, or... well, the list of religious bloodshed is practically inexhaustible. When it props up bad government or bad forms of government, such as the doctrine of Divine Right. When it renders, by law or by custom, certain classes of people to be second-hand citizens. From slavery, to racism, to misogyny, to classism, to homophobia, to religious oppression, to outright acts of genocide, to discrimination by national origin, there has not been a single type of oppression in the United States, that did not have some interpretation of Christian scripture, imperatives, or goals trotted out to justify it. When the religious use their religion as a basis for slaughtering their own children, be it through neglect, or through prescribed discipline, or through willful killing. When all rational thinking and science and skepticism, even as general principles, is opposed because it might lead people to question their faith. When religion stops being a private matter and becomes financed by government, or receives privileged status, or privileged access, or privileged time. When one is mandated to sit through a short sermon from a preacher, simply to participate in local democracy. When school curricula are gutted by religion, when it dictates what is and isn't taught in the classroom, when it attempts to censor and suppress what can be said in public media. When, it short, it becomes dangerous to others, a cancer to society, and a menace to freedom. Your freedom of religion ends when it becomes a tyranny upon others, and to the extent that it is a tyranny I will oppose it.

My third interest is that I will, for the sake of fair play, evaluate its claims on a factual basis, with the intention of adopting them if they prove true or even highly likely. This is actually fairly quickly dispensed with, making it the least of my three interests in religion.
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post