Briefly: WHY ARE ATHEISTS CONCERNED ABOUT RELIGION?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2014, 01:43 PM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2014 01:47 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Briefly: WHY ARE ATHEISTS CONCERNED ABOUT RELIGION?
I'm not. If anyone brings it up I go "Whoa there big fella. Before we get to your dogma and creeds and shit are you gonna try and set me up to sell me on some bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity? 'Cause if you are you do realize that no plausible mechanism of action has ever been proposed for dualism, right? Dualism is untenable. Now what were you going to say?" This is usually followed by a blank stare and then "Nice weather we're having. Need another beer?"

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-05-2014, 01:55 PM
(25-05-2014 08:57 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Because it's insane.

Imagine if every day, while you were walking down the street, you saw someone talking to a pineapple. As you watch, you realize he's named this pineapple, occasionally pets it, and wraps it up in a blanket when it gets windy.

This might not be harming anyone, but odds are you'd still stare and wonder what the hell was wrong with him. You'd probably talk to people about this strange pineapple man. Maybe, eventually, you'd try and bring him back to reality.

Same with religion. Bat crap crazy = Hard to ignore.

LOL! Just.... funny.Laugh out load I wanna steal that analogy for future use. LOLBig Grin

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
25-05-2014, 01:58 PM
Religion is insidious, it was formed for the exact purpose of controlling people.
It is meant to be infused in the young to make them compliant adults, to be spread like a disease into every aspect of our lives.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
25-05-2014, 02:11 PM
(25-05-2014 01:58 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  Religion is insidious, it was formed for the exact purpose of controlling people.
It is meant to be infused in the young to make them compliant adults, to be spread like a disease into every aspect of our lives.

Going on some 30 years ago now, I promised the Catholic Church not to interfere with any offspring's Catholic upbringing in order for this atheist to be married to a good Catholic woman in front of a Priest in a Catholic Church. I kept my promise and didn't interfere with their indoctrination. I did teach them logic and math 'cause that ain't interfering, that's just teaching survival skills. All four of our children are now fine young adult atheists. I knew from my own experience that a parochial education is a very effective inoculation against religion. Religion is in its death throes. My kids' generation couldn't give less of a shit about it. It's dying off.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
25-05-2014, 03:16 PM
Briefly: WHY ARE ATHEISTS CONCERNED ABOUT RELIGION?
(25-05-2014 08:57 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Because it's insane.

Imagine if every day, while you were walking down the street, you saw someone talking to a pineapple. As you watch, you realize he's named this pineapple, occasionally pets it, and wraps it up in a blanket when it gets windy.

This might not be harming anyone, but odds are you'd still stare and wonder what the hell was wrong with him. You'd probably talk to people about this strange pineapple man. Maybe, eventually, you'd try and bring him back to reality.

Same with religion. Bat crap crazy = Hard to ignore.

[Image: yvy8uma4.jpg]

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 7 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
25-05-2014, 05:36 PM
FIVE main reasons

1. Every religions secret agenda is to force their religion onto other people in order to make more members for their sect. The people who worship the word have no idea that they are merely being manipulated into not being able to ever recognize this.
No matter how you slice it, the declaration of independence and the bill of rights are secular documents and its the brainwashing of ministers and priests who convince people otherwise and that Jesus and the Christian god have something to do with this. Many of the founding members of the government were secular or simple deist or some other religion other than one of the christian sects.

Simply by having in god (the Christian god) we trust on our money is in a devious way, forcing that ideology on people who either reject it completely or believe in something else. Its one of the reasons I do not carry money with me anymore. I do not want something I do not trust written on my money. Also, under god is devious as well. Because when you make your pledge to the flag. You are pledging to the Christian god by association as well and THAT my friends if forcing your religion others. Last time I checked, our country was founded on the principle of separation of church and state for a good reason. Because the church had a lot to do with the woes and torment that the people were having in addition to the kind.

This is just the subtle stuff though. Its not very high on my priority. I would "really" like to see both of these changed. Of course I would like to see the pledge changed completely and updated to modern times. The American flag is completely meaningless compared to its people. In my opinion, it should not be I pledge my allegiance to this flag, but to the PEOPLE of the united states of America. Not the flag but to its PEOPLE. Not to the republic but to all that we stand for. Not just the republic.

You have people standing outside of movie theaters with signs threatening people with torture and fire. People threatening others that they are going to die soon with those "the end is night signs". Sure we do not pay attention to them, but its still threatening death to people. Freedom of speech does not give you the right to be a threatening ass hole, after all!

There are so many little bull shit things too that all add up to a shit storm of Christians and others as well. Forcing their beliefs on others or at least trying to shove it down our throats.

2. Violence - Islam, the crusades, Salem witch trials, 9/11, racism (which mainly stems from religion...mainly). The list goes on. The Religious are the most violent people, the most ignorant, the most hateful, wrathful, illogical, Anti life group of people on the planet.

3. They meddle in the affairs of politics and science by asserting their religion into it. Unforgivable.

4. They are ignorant, violent and hypocrites and demand special privileges when they have been getting those for thousands of years already AND ruling the entire world and controlling all of its money. Yet they STILL need to be special and free of the burden of freedom of speech or their feelings will get hurt.

5. They pay no taxes. There is zero reason they should be getting off tax free.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
25-05-2014, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2014 06:23 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Because humans are still evolving out of the age of religion. We are required every day to interact with believers who try to say their beliefs are rooted in reason. Hiding one's head in the sand is not really optional at this point. At some point in the future ignoring religion may be an option. To many of us it's simply interesting to observe, as social and cultural history. If you're not interested in those things, fine. No one gets to dictate what I get to be interested in.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
25-05-2014, 06:20 PM
Because they believe the end of times will be in "their" lifetime, and individuals (Judeo, Islam & Christian) are in control of governments who are in control of nuclear weapons.
Some have claimed we don't have to worry about global warming because the rapture/ apocalypse will proceed it.

It will only take one vivid dream or psychosis to convince someone with 1/2 the launch codes that GOD wants them to initiate Armageddon.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
25-05-2014, 06:34 PM
Many atheists are concerned about the behaviours of others within society, especially as those others seek to implement restrictive laws, stymie medical and technological progress, seek to indoctrinate our children and impede education, seek to have righteous wars, seek to instil prejudice and untoward behaviour against subgroups of society (e.g. homosexuals).

If your religion was kept private as the bible teaches "But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." then I personally would have no problems with you praying to whomever you want for what ever you want. If you want to baptise yourself, avoid work on Sundays, avoid eating pork, avoid wearing clothes made of more than one cloth then I won't interfere in your religious life.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
25-05-2014, 07:34 PM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2014 08:25 PM by JDog554.)
Because they force us to think about religion by bringing it into public life. Forcing it into schools, courts, government. It's hard for anyone to not think about it when you can't do anything, without seeing or hearing something about religion. Trust me, I'd rather not have anything to do with it, but religious people force that onto us. I can't speak for others though I can assume they would agree.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 3 users Like JDog554's post