Briefly: WHY ARE ATHEISTS CONCERNED ABOUT RELIGION?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2014, 09:32 PM
RE: Briefly: WHY ARE ATHEISTS CONCERNED ABOUT RELIGION?
I don't give a shit about religion, just like I don't give a shit about Pokemon. The difference is that I don't have a bunch of Pokemon zealots trying to convince me that I need to be one of them. I don't see Pokemon zealots trying to make laws in our government to force their particular beliefs on me and the rest of society. I don't have Pokemon zealots telling me that how good of a person I am depends on whether or not I am with them, or just telling me how to live my life in general. I don't see Pokemon zealots trying to dictate what is taught in our schools and trying to make sure that MY kids are being taught THEIR beliefs.

However, I do have a FUCKLOAD of religious nutjobs trying everything they can to make sure THAT THEIR BELIEFS, AND ONLY THEIR BELIEFS, ARE BEING SHOVED DOWN THE THROATS OF EVERYBODY ELSE IN OUR SOCIETY!!

That's where my problem comes in. See?

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
26-05-2014, 11:16 PM
(26-05-2014 09:32 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I don't give a shit about religion, just like I don't give a shit about Pokemon. The difference is that I don't have a bunch of Pokemon zealots trying to convince me that I need to be one of them. I don't see Pokemon zealots trying to make laws in our government to force their particular beliefs on me and the rest of society. I don't have Pokemon zealots telling me that how good of a person I am depends on whether or not I am with them, or just telling me how to live my life in general. I don't see Pokemon zealots trying to dictate what is taught in our schools and trying to make sure that MY kids are being taught THEIR beliefs.

However, I do have a FUCKLOAD of religious nutjobs trying everything they can to make sure THAT THEIR BELIEFS, AND ONLY THEIR BELIEFS, ARE BEING SHOVED DOWN THE THROATS OF EVERYBODY ELSE IN OUR SOCIETY!!

That's where my problem comes in. See?

Agreed, provided your chose squirtle and played blue version. Otherwise FUCK YOU FASCIOUST.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
27-05-2014, 03:12 AM
(26-05-2014 08:53 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  That is primarily what the thread is about.

Not the biggest derailment.

Secondly, I would actually argue that it is relevant to this thread. It is about why Atheists are concerned about religion, and me pointing to misapplications of the term "religion" is hardly irrelevant.

Quote:The problem with religion as a whole is broad and sweeping.

Then one should criticise religion as a whole, or at least take it into consideration when criticising specific denominations.

Quote: You are correct that there are religions that don't fit this bill, we aren't talking about them nor the people that don't contribute to the problems that we are talking about. If you'd like to analyze harmless religious practices, this isn't the place for it and you are free to start your own thread.

Fair enough. Even though I think it is interesting my point in this thread was never to analyse relatively harmless religions. My point is that since they are part of religion as a whole they should be taken into consideration when talking about religion as a whole - hence the terminology issue.
27-05-2014, 07:09 AM
(25-05-2014 06:29 AM)Forthright Atheist Wrote:  [i]It is very often wondered why atheists even think about religion. Why do atheists care about religion if they aren't religious, why can't they just leave the religious alone and let people believe what they want? Your thoughts?

Atheists are envious of the organizational strength of religions, both membership, ingenuity - atheists can't organize a bake sale.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
27-05-2014, 07:16 AM
(25-05-2014 07:34 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Trust me, I'd rather not have anything to do with it, but religious people force that onto us.

The Christians are probably going to give you the opportunity to segregate into a community free of all religious aspects to see if atheists can prove there worth.

Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
27-05-2014, 07:17 AM
(25-05-2014 06:29 AM)Forthright Atheist Wrote:  It is very often wondered why atheists even think about religion. Why do atheists care about religion if they aren't religious, why can't they just leave the religious alone and let people believe what they want? Continue....

WHY ARE ATHEISTS CONCERNED ABOUT RELIGION?

Your thoughts?

In a nutshell, it's because religion promotes a very awful way to reason called faith. It is actually not a way to reason at all but to evade reasoning. This bad epistemology carries over into other areas and in a country like ours which is moving away from the principles of limited government and individual rights in favor of more centralized control and curtailment of rights, religion represents an existential danger to us. If we lived in a proper society with a strictly limited constitutional republic that recognized the absolute sovereignty of the individual over their own lives and property it would be much less of a threat. But we don't.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
27-05-2014, 07:23 AM
(27-05-2014 07:17 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  If we lived in a proper society with a strictly limited constitutional republic that recognized the absolute sovereignty of the individual over their own lives and property it would be much less of a threat.

Why don't you write that constitution? You cannot expect the Christians to write it - do you?

You think the 1787 constitution is perfect, just like the Christians - don't you? You think it is perfect and it is able to be manipulated by devious zealots - right?

You believe the 1787 constitution is perfect and should last forever, or at least for your lifetime. Laugh out load

27-05-2014, 08:04 AM
(27-05-2014 07:23 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(27-05-2014 07:17 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  If we lived in a proper society with a strictly limited constitutional republic that recognized the absolute sovereignty of the individual over their own lives and property it would be much less of a threat.

Why don't you write that constitution? You cannot expect the Christians to write it - do you?

You think the 1787 constitution is perfect, just like the Christians - don't you? You think it is perfect and it is able to be manipulated by devious zealots - right?

You believe the 1787 constitution is perfect and should last forever, or at least for your lifetime. Laugh out load

The common or garden dick in it's natural habitat, the internet forum Drinking Beverage

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
27-05-2014, 08:27 AM
Well... I guess a derailment is usually followed by a TrainWreck. Apologies all around!
[+] 1 user Likes Gaest's post
27-05-2014, 10:47 AM
(27-05-2014 07:23 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  

It has already been written. It has never been followed fully even from the beginning.

No it is not perfect. It is the best one that has ever been devised in my opinion. That is not to say that it could not be improved on but that is not the direction that our society has gone. Do you deny that the country is moving away from the principle of limited government? That is the important principle in a system where men have a say over other men's lives by voting for representatives who in turn vote on the laws governing everyone's lives.

I sincerely hope that the Christians never get to write a new constitution.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick