Briefly: WHY ARE ATHEISTS CONCERNED ABOUT RELIGION?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2014, 11:16 AM
RE: Briefly: WHY ARE ATHEISTS CONCERNED ABOUT RELIGION?
[Image: DontFeedtheTrolls5.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2014, 04:52 PM
(25-05-2014 06:29 AM)Forthright Atheist Wrote:  It is very often wondered why atheists even think about religion. Why do atheists care about religion if they aren't religious, why can't they just leave the religious alone and let people believe what they want? Continue....

WHY ARE ATHEISTS CONCERNED ABOUT RELIGION?

Your thoughts?

Because religious ideologies have conclusively demonstrated themselves to be the single most destructive force ever known to humankind, and the fatality count is still rising on a daily basis.

That will be all.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
27-05-2014, 05:10 PM
(27-05-2014 10:47 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(27-05-2014 07:23 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Why don't you write that constitution? You cannot expect the Christians to write it - do you?

You think the 1787 constitution is perfect, just like the Christians - don't you? You think it is perfect and it is able to be manipulated by devious zealots - right?

You believe the 1787 constitution is perfect and should last forever, or at least for your lifetime. Laugh out load

It has already been written. It has never been followed fully even from the beginning.

No it is not perfect. It is the best one that has ever been devised in my opinion. That is not to say that it could not be improved on but that is not the direction that our society has gone. Do you deny that the country is moving away from the principle of limited government? That is the important principle in a system where men have a say over other men's lives by voting for representatives who in turn vote on the laws governing everyone's lives.

I sincerely hope that the Christians never get to write a new constitution.

If only there were a way to revise The Constitution to better suit the changing times. Facepalm
27-05-2014, 05:45 PM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2014 06:11 PM by rampant.a.i..)
This is why people should be concerned about religion:

Quote:HOUSTON — At home in Nigeria, the Pentecostal preacher Helen Ukpabio draws thousands to her revival meetings. Last August, when she had herself consecrated Christendom’s first “lady apostle,” Nigerian politicians and Nollywood actors attended the ceremony. Her books and DVDs, which explain how Satan possesses children, are widely known.

So well-known, in fact, that Ms. Ukpabio’s critics say her teachings have contributed to the torture or abandonment of thousands of Nigerian children — including infants and toddlers — suspected of being witches and warlocks. [hide]Her culpability is a central contention of “Saving Africa’s Witch Children,” a documentary that will make its American debut Wednesday on HBO2.[/hide]

Those disturbed by the needless immiseration of innocent children should beware. “Saving Africa’s Witch Children” follows Gary Foxcroft, founder of the charity Stepping Stones Nigeria, as he travels the rural state of Akwa Ibom, rescuing children abused during horrific “exorcisms” — splashed with acid, buried alive, dipped in fire — or abandoned roadside, cast out of their villages because some itinerant preacher called them possessed.

Quote:During the "deliverance" ceremonies, the children are shaken violently, dragged around the room and have potions poured into their eyes. The children look terrified. The parents look on, praying that the child will be cleansed. If the ritual fails, they know their children will have to be sent away, or killed. Many are held in churches, often on chains, and deprived of food until they "confess" to being a witch.[hide]
The ceremonies are highly lucrative for the spiritual leaders many of whom enjoy a lifestyle of large homes, expensive cars and designer clothes.
Ten years ago there were few cases of children stigmatised by witchcraft. But since then the numbers have grown at an alarming rate and have reached an estimated 15,000 in Akwa Ibom state alone.
Some Nigerians blame the increase on one of the country's wealthiest and most influential evangelical preachers. Helen Ukpabio, a self-styled prophetess of the 150-branch Liberty Gospel Church, made a film, widely distributed, called End of the Wicked. It tells, in graphic detail, how children become possessed and shows them being inducted into covens, eating human flesh and bringing chaos and death to their families and communities.[/hide]
Mrs Ukpabio, a mother of three, also wrote a popular book which tells parents how to identify a witch. For children under two years old, she says, the key signs of a servant of Satan are crying and screaming in the night, high fever and worsening health - symptoms that can be found among many children in an impoverished region with poor health care.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/22/us/22b...anted=all&

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...efuge.html

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 1 user Likes rampant.a.i.'s post
27-05-2014, 06:30 PM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2014 06:36 PM by GirlyMan.)
(27-05-2014 07:09 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Atheists are envious of the organizational strength of religions, both membership, ingenuity - atheists can't organize a bake sale.

Not envious. Just curious about why they feel the need to organize and this atheist don't. Common sense don't need no bake sales. Death throes. Drowning fucks looking for someone or something to grab onto. And I have actually organized a bake sale. Tongue

(27-05-2014 07:16 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  The Christians are probably going to give you the opportunity to segregate into a community free of all religious aspects to see if atheists can prove there worth.

Girly ain't scared. They're the ones who are scared.

(27-05-2014 07:23 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  You think the 1787 constitution is perfect, just like the Christians - don't you? You think it is perfect and it is able to be manipulated by devious zealots - right?

You believe the 1787 constitution is perfect and should last forever, or at least for your lifetime. Laugh out load

Dude. You realize it's been amended a couple of dozen times, right? You do realize it was intended to be amended, right?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-05-2014, 01:27 PM
(26-05-2014 11:16 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(26-05-2014 09:32 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I don't give a shit about religion, just like I don't give a shit about Pokemon. The difference is that I don't have a bunch of Pokemon zealots trying to convince me that I need to be one of them. I don't see Pokemon zealots trying to make laws in our government to force their particular beliefs on me and the rest of society. I don't have Pokemon zealots telling me that how good of a person I am depends on whether or not I am with them, or just telling me how to live my life in general. I don't see Pokemon zealots trying to dictate what is taught in our schools and trying to make sure that MY kids are being taught THEIR beliefs.

However, I do have a FUCKLOAD of religious nutjobs trying everything they can to make sure THAT THEIR BELIEFS, AND ONLY THEIR BELIEFS, ARE BEING SHOVED DOWN THE THROATS OF EVERYBODY ELSE IN OUR SOCIETY!!

That's where my problem comes in. See?

Agreed, provided your chose squirtle and played blue version. Otherwise FUCK YOU FASCIOUST.

Shoving their beliefs down everybody else's throats, Windy? Sounds a lot like vegans.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
28-05-2014, 01:44 PM
Why are straight religious nut jobs so concerned with homosexuality?
[+] 1 user Likes TheStraightener's post
28-05-2014, 02:02 PM
Briefly: WHY ARE ATHEISTS CONCERNED ABOUT RELIGION?
(28-05-2014 01:44 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Why are straight religious nut jobs so concerned with homosexuality?

http://gizmodo.com/5906144/homophobia-is...by-science

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/opi...e-gay.html

https://www.ipce.info/library_3/files/homophobes.htm

http://gayhomophobe.com

http://youtu.be/zsVpdBIi1BU

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
29-05-2014, 01:57 PM
(25-05-2014 06:53 AM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  Why do people always mix religion and atheism? They are not mutually exclusive.
There are plenty of religious atheists, Buddhists for example or Jainists.

Yes! Wow you're awesome!

(25-05-2014 06:53 AM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  Atheism is about a lack of believe in a god
Religion is a set of rules about how to worship something supernatural.

Ok I take back what I said. Sad

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
29-05-2014, 02:01 PM
Because:
* They influence the laws passed by our supposed secular government.
* They sell defective insurance (cosmic afterlife), asks for donations (which they earn a lot from it) while being tax-free.
[+] 1 user Likes sanmayl's post