Bring It On!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
13-08-2017, 07:03 PM
RE: Bring It On!
(13-08-2017 06:59 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  ...
God is so obviously real

Which one?

and I'm not even kidding,

Yup. Of course you're not. We believe you.

Drinking Beverage

how could you possibly think there is no God?

The App failed to upload.

Narrow escape. Big Grin

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
13-08-2017, 08:15 PM
(13-08-2017 06:59 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  
(13-08-2017 06:20 PM)Vera Wrote:  The mere idea that someone could be like this for real is proof enough that there is no god. Drinking Beverage

God is so obviously real and I'm not even kidding, how could you possibly think there is no God? Just ridiculous.

The key is the thinking part. Try it sometime.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
13-08-2017, 08:40 PM
(13-08-2017 06:59 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  ... how could you possibly think there is no God? ...

Good question. The human mind unquestionably tilts toward some sort of godlike presence as it tries to discern patterns and agency in everything seen and experienced. But we have found that this imposing of deliberate agency is an attribute of our brain architecture, that "god" so to speak is a contrivance of a functioning intellect short of information to nonetheless make meaningful inferences and sustain a sense of control.

We only invoke gods when we're ignorant; when we're sure of facts and reality we don't need gods. When you drive your car do your routinely pray each time you steer or brake that the steering and braking mechanisms will function as expected, or that you'll know how to steer or brake, or know when when it's appropriate to steer or brake, and by how much? No, because your knowledge of reality in that case is sufficient to function effectively without any gods.

But if you were suddenly confronted with having to do an on the spot appendectomy on a stricken friend too far away from a hospital to try to get to you might start praying in earnest, because you know your ignorance in such a situation could be deadly. Unless you're a trained surgeon with a sterile pocketknife, in which case prayer wouldn't seem necessary.

In all of human discovery NEVER has any competent investigator arrested an investigation with a declaration that so and so is only the product of gods. The relentless banishment of ignorance just as relentlessly banishes any thought that something godlike needs to exist.
[+] 6 users Like Airportkid's post
13-08-2017, 09:18 PM
(13-08-2017 05:18 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  
(13-08-2017 12:42 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  It's about as likely as existence of something called god.

That proves I'm not a troll. Cool
No. That proves you are. Dumb and dull one.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
14-08-2017, 02:11 AM
(13-08-2017 08:40 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(13-08-2017 06:59 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  ... how could you possibly think there is no God? ...

Good question. The human mind unquestionably tilts toward some sort of godlike presence as it tries to discern patterns and agency in everything seen and experienced. But we have found that this imposing of deliberate agency is an attribute of our brain architecture, that "god" so to speak is a contrivance of a functioning intellect short of information to nonetheless make meaningful inferences and sustain a sense of control.

We only invoke gods when we're ignorant; when we're sure of facts and reality we don't need gods. When you drive your car do your routinely pray each time you steer or brake that the steering and braking mechanisms will function as expected, or that you'll know how to steer or brake, or know when when it's appropriate to steer or brake, and by how much? No, because your knowledge of reality in that case is sufficient to function effectively without any gods.

But if you were suddenly confronted with having to do an on the spot appendectomy on a stricken friend too far away from a hospital to try to get to you might start praying in earnest, because you know your ignorance in such a situation could be deadly. Unless you're a trained surgeon with a sterile pocketknife, in which case prayer wouldn't seem necessary.

In all of human discovery NEVER has any competent investigator arrested an investigation with a declaration that so and so is only the product of gods. The relentless banishment of ignorance just as relentlessly banishes any thought that something godlike needs to exist.

What?
14-08-2017, 02:15 AM
(13-08-2017 08:15 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(13-08-2017 06:59 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  God is so obviously real and I'm not even kidding, how could you possibly think there is no God? Just ridiculous.

The key is the thinking part. Try it sometime.

Um, rude.
14-08-2017, 02:16 AM
(13-08-2017 09:18 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(13-08-2017 05:18 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  That proves I'm not a troll. Cool
No. That proves you are. Dumb and dull one.

You're turning me on.
14-08-2017, 02:19 AM (This post was last modified: 14-08-2017 02:23 AM by Szuchow.)
(14-08-2017 02:16 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  
(13-08-2017 09:18 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  No. That proves you are. Dumb and dull one.

You're turning me on.
Your own stupidity turns you on? You must be constantly horny then.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
14-08-2017, 02:23 AM
(14-08-2017 02:11 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  ... What? ...

Sorry, not every concept distills down into soundbites. But my closing sentence answers your question all by itself, if that helps.
14-08-2017, 02:36 AM
(14-08-2017 02:23 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(14-08-2017 02:11 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  ... What? ...

Sorry, not every concept distills down into soundbites. But my closing sentence answers your question all by itself, if that helps.

Why would I need to perform an appendectomy on a friend? That's where you lost me.